The Brexit "divorce bill"

So, we have to pay people to like us now?

Give the EU 40 billion pounds ... so we can have a good "relationship" .... that's not a relationship, that's slavery.

Payment, in one form or another, for favorable relationships has been going on for quite some time.

I know it seems like madness but just look at T-May's urgency with engaging in trade talks and drafting a post-brexit trade deal/agreement with the EU.
-I think the payment is only for these future trade agreements and to alleviate any tension between the continent and UK.
--40-55 Billion might not be too bad if it aids the UK economy in the long-term.

It's definitely a thorn in T-May's side at the moment; but she may be on to something here
-Can the UK unequivocally say that favorable Post-Brexit trade agreements will occur without this "divorce" payment?

Basically, the UK agreed to pay for the budget and projects that go beyond 2019.
Its to pay for the pension of Farange also.

Basically, the UK agreed to pay for the budget and projects that go beyond 2019.
Its to pay for the pension of Farange also.

Why??? Why are we paying for the EU when we are not in the EU anymore??

This is a scam.

Payment, in one form or another, for favorable relationships has been going on for quite some time.

I know it seems like madness but just look at T-May's urgency with engaging in trade talks and drafting a post-brexit trade deal/agreement with the EU.
-I think the payment is only for these future trade agreements and to alleviate any tension between the continent and UK.
--40-55 Billion might not be too bad if it aids the UK economy in the long-term.

It's definitely a thorn in T-May's side at the moment; but she may be on to something here
-Can the UK unequivocally say that favorable Post-Brexit trade agreements will occur without this "divorce" payment?

Dude, paying money for "favourable relationships" "alleviate tension".... we are becoming the EU's bitch. Paying them 40 billion pounds, so that they will "like us" ... lol, they won't respect us ... they will demand more and more ...

They are f**king us over a barrel if we agree to pay for some bulls**t "divorce bill" ... it doesn't make any sense to pay them.

Last edited:
Why??? Why are we paying for the EU when we are not in the EU anymore??

This is a scam.

Because you agreed to pay for that. The UK like all other countries agreed should they ever leave they would still have to pay for the budget agreed project and pensions.
I am not sure what is so hard to understand on that?

Because you agreed to pay for that. The UK like all other countries agreed should they ever leave they would still have to pay for the budget agreed project and pensions.
I am not sure what is so hard to understand on that?

I didn't agree to pay shit.

Where did we agree??? This is the first time article 50 has ever been triggered ... this "divorce bill" is a scam, plain and simple.

I didn't agree to pay shit.

Where did we agree??? This is the first time article 50 has ever been triggered ... this "divorce bill" is a scam, plain and simple.

I am no expert, but you first agreed when you joined the EU. And later again in 2004 when the article 50 was also established.
This was all known a long time. But I guess Farange didn't tell you he still wants his pension from the EU after the UK left :).

The legal site is actually not clear if the UK would have to pay or not. But I guess its a matter of principle because the UK agreed to it.
Now if the UK doesn't pay the EU would not want to have any sort of deal.

I am no expert, but you first agreed when you joined the EU. And later again in 2004 when the article 50 was also established.
This was all known a long time. But I guess Farange didn't tell you he still wants his pension from the EU after the UK left :).

The legal site is actually not clear if the UK would have to pay or not. But I guess its a matter of principle because the UK agreed to it.
Now if the UK doesn't pay the EU would not want to have any sort of deal.

No, you are not an expert.

We didn't join the EU ... we joined the ECC ... which became the EU.

NO DEAL and keeping 40 billion and our dignity and respect is FINE with me.

Dude, paying money for "favourable relationships" "alleviate tension".... we are becoming the EU's bitch. Paying them 40 billion pounds, so that they will "like us" ... lol, they won't respect us ... they will demand more and more ...

They are f**king us over a barrel if we agree to pay for some bulls**t "divorce bill" ... it doesn't make any sense to pay them.

Interesting stance;
I've always been curious to hear the disposition of those for Brexit
(none of my UK buddies want it to happen)

I think an earlier post mentioned UK investment commitments in the EU and other costs that are related to the UK leaving
-Investment projects that counted on the UK(whether for location or funding) that are likely not to happen
-Relocation of those EU citizens
--Still being negotiated but not everyone would likely be allowed to stay.

Also I do think the EU is using this to set precedent for all other member nations to be waned off of separating.

T-May is likely trying to get Post-Brexit Trade negotiations to secure portions of the UK economy in the long-term and paying a bit of a lump sum now might be the easiest concession.
-Though you may have a point, the UK is still a significant economic partner to have for these European nations, tough to say partnerships wouldn't ensue if Brexit Divorce Payment didn't occur.

I'd have to agree and say Britain is a major part of the EU;
I've read the reason for the money is to maintain certain relationships, including the free movement of goods and trade market that the EU has.

40Billion might only be a small cost if compared to the larger scale long term favorable trade policy.

One thing I found interesting was that part of the deal(at one point) was to maintain EU citizens' residency in Britain after Brexit officially ends.
-I thought the "free movement of people(EU citizens)" was a major factor in Brexit's voting result.
--An interesting concession of Brexit considering the major reason of the outcome.
A degree of trust?? We become slaves ... Think about how many man hours we have to work to raise 40 billion in taxes .... just to hand over to the EUROCRATS FOR FREE!!!!!

We are f**king luntics if we pay this bill

It's not a done deal. Has to be approved by both sides.
It does seem high though.

It's more about what the EU is losing.

No, you are not an expert.

We didn't join the EU ... we joined the ECC ... which became the EU.

NO DEAL and keeping 40 billion and our dignity and respect is FINE with me.

Then you should have left when it becomes the EU if you weren't happy with the EU.
I mean what is it with all the EU blaming when you were free to leave at any time.

You are free not to pay now (most likely not sure if it's legal binding).
Just don't pay and trade under WTO rules. It's fine from the EU point of view.
Its the UK that doesn't want that.

WTF is this? A divorce bill? Apparently Theresa May has agreed to hand over 40 billion pounds of tax payer money to leave the EU....

This is beyond ridiculous.

Did the soviet countries pay a "divorce bill" when they left the USSR? No, they just took their power back.

This talk of a divorce bill is a scam and Theresa May is naive and weak for even thinking complying with it.

You know it's for pension payments right?

It's not actually a divorce bill.

You're not like Farage who thinks they get to leave the EU and keep their pension for free, right?

You're not that dull are you?

The fact the EU exorts you money if you try to leave it really drives home the point that it's a domineering organization that has taken a life of its' own - the kind of organization that ought to be left. It's not a friendly coalition of nations anymore. They're also the ones who are responsible for the "refugee" crisis, it's their CEAS set of laws that's responsible for member countries being forced to take in asylum seekers. None of the migrants would even be coming to begin with if it weren't for the EU forcing their member states to hand out citizenship like candy.

The fact the EU exorts you money if you try to leave it really drives home the point that it's a domineering organization that has taken a life of its' own - the kind of organization that ought to be left. It's not a friendly coalition of nations anymore. They're also the ones who are responsible for the "refugee" crisis, it's their CEAS set of laws that's responsible for member countries being forced to take in asylum seekers. None of the migrants would even be coming to begin with if it weren't for the EU forcing their member states to hand out citizenship like candy.

There is no extortion going on here, UK is only required to pay what they've previously agreed to pay and for their share of the EU pension fund.

There is no extortion going on here, UK is only required to pay what they've previously agreed to pay and for their share of the EU pension fund.

Article I just read says 8.7B for the pensions. So that's 40B+ of not pensions. Even the pension thing is arguable, if I work at a company for 20 years - the company isn't legally allowed to delete my pension because they're angry with me.

If anything, the UK is getting off easy here.

There are roughly 250,000 British retirees that live abroad in France, Spain and other places, not even counting Ireland. Not to mention the former UK/EU politicians like Farage himself who claim EU pensions.

Conversely, there are roughly 85,000 EU retirees living in the UK.

$40B is a good deal for the UK.

I like how no matter what answer is given the TS is going got respond with "WHY?!?! SLAVERY?!?!"

I like how no matter what answer is given the TS is going got respond with "WHY?!?! SLAVERY?!?!"

I think some people realize how bad the Brexit will be, so they pretend they don't understand the issue. Because they don't know what to do.
Like what is so difficult to understand about this "divorce bill"?
I mean you might not agree with it and don't want to pay it, that's an ok opinion.
But why pretend you don't understand it?

Back