The Dive Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got up to 195 about a month ago (at 5'7") and that was the heaviest I've ever been. I had mixed feelings about it. I had been hitting PRs left and right for about 2 months. But I didn't like the way physically I was looking and I got mildly winded doing some easy shit. Reminded me of the way Wendler talking at the beginning of the 531 ebook.

So, due to that and some pain in knee and shoulder, I'm down to about 185 but haven't hit a PR in a while obviously.

I've been playing golf lately. I'm officially old.

I am really enjoying it myself. I've only played 3 rounds at a par 3 course. I've improved 13 strokes though. I shot a birdie on one of the holes. I was ecstatic.

Golf is a good game, I'm wanting to get into it more this year.

I played on the HS team, and for the first time in 10 years, I've had the ability and the friends and the means to play quite a bit this summer. I hope to keep that up.

It definitely seems like it would get expensive. Luckily, the par 3 that we've been going to had a special of a mini-membership for the rest of the season for $40. So basically we are getting a 2 month membership for $40, but we are trying to go at least twice a week. I'm hoping that I have enough time to improve quite a bit.

Well I'm off work. Later Dive Bar.

"I don't think anyone has a problem with people doing conditioning work. A lot of the shit people get is actually completely unrelated to that, as noted above. Muscles - people gave/give you a lot of shit because you keep referring to this notion of obscure ways to train and very random workouts. Personally, I don't have a problem with it at all if you are having fun doing that, but it's not necessary for most people. Keeping shit basic and uncomplicated seems to be the most effective way of S+C in my opinion.

As for the conditioning challenges, I stopped doing them since I won't be competing in them. I'm focusing 100% on strength right now, so I don't feel I should have to run them. I was hoping someone would take over, but that didn't happen. I will definitely run them whenever I'm back into conditioning work. Besides that, I don't find that there is much to talk about in relation to conditioning. It's basically about getting out there and doing it. Run, burpees, heavy bag work, rowing, etc."

I agree with all of this. For the greatest part of the years I've been training, I've been working on conditioning more than strength. I look forward to my shitty shins finally healing (hopefully some time this lifetime!) so I can restart with the conditioning work. So I am not biased towards conditioning (but I am biased towards misinformation and general bullshit).

A point made in that thread was that the "conditioning crowd" makes a different use of the word strength and not everybody is interested in working on their 1 rep max, and some people use the word strength for higher rep stuff (so there is some misunderstanding between the two "groups"). Well, those people are using the word strength incorrectly. There is a very specific definition for the term "muscular strength" and that is not the same as "muscular endurance".

No poster who belongs to this "conditioning crowd" (if there even is such a thing) and makes serious/insightful/informative/educated posts that don't contain misinformation ever gets disrespected.

Last edited:
I got up to 195 about a month ago (at 5'7") and that was the heaviest I've ever been. I had mixed feelings about it. I had been hitting PRs left and right for about 2 months. But I didn't like the way physically I was looking and I got mildly winded doing some easy shit. Reminded me of the way Wendler talking at the beginning of the 531 ebook.

So, due to that and some pain in knee and shoulder, I'm down to about 185 but haven't hit a PR in a while obviously.

It's time to get to 220 obviously.

EZA was an active member here when conditioning was a separate sub-forum, his excellent post is still kept as a separate sticky after the merger, a lot of posters have repeatedly recommended his book to people interested in building up their conditioning in a precise manner, and there was a thread by other members reviewing his book when it first came out. I wouldn't think he is really that disrespected!

Looking at log names: forum is made of dumb people's opinions.

Daley missed weight. I'm guessing Dana has a huge smile on his face right now.

^ Considering the circumstances, that one deserves an "epic fail" pic.

SharkFights is a stupid name for a promotion, imo. Good card, though!

I think over the next few years as the UFC cuts more and more of its roster, the recongizable talent on these other promotions will continue to grow. The Ultimate Fighter has made it possible for many of these smaller shows to advertise "as seen on TV".

Shark Fight prelims are streaming live right now on the Sherdog homepage. I think the fight going on right now is the last fight of the live stream - Ronnie Mann vs Douglas Evans. Just started 3rd of 5 rounds.

Things I learned from Shark Fights:

-Even if a card with newly televised promotion is worth $30, the production value will bring it down some dollars.

-Commentating teams need to have clashing personalities. Two guys that like to tell jokes too much really gets annoying.

-Paul Daley is very overrated. He won a somewhat controversial decision after coming in heavy against a LW who was arguably winning the fight up until the very last minute.

-Sokoudju may have trouble finishing a 5k.

-Dana White is extremely happy. Fighters he cut recently did not do well: Larson, Daley, Sokoudju, Alexander (really rough first round), and Jardine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back