The Dive Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw Penn will be fighting Hughes at UFC 123. Do not want.

Ya, I have absolutely no interest in seeing BJ Penn at WW again. There are so many intriguing matchups that can be made with him at LW still. There are a lot of up and comers there. I also think there are some interesting matchups out there for Hughes. I just hate all of this rematch bullshit.

I just saw Penn will be fighting Hughes at UFC 123. Do not want.

I have absolutely no interest in that fight. The UFC's matchmaking has been seriously lacking recently. The next few fight cards are garbage.

The UFC is becoming a little WWF with constant rematches and building up fighters by putting them up against ham and eggers. BJ vs. the winner of Jim Miller and Gleison Tebou would work for me, I would also like to see BJ vs Guillard for some strange reason.
I can think of about 10 other fights I would rather see Hughes in before a third with BJ. I actually don't thing a fight with the two of the would go any different than the second one, based on Penn's last two outings.

The UFC is becoming a little WWF with constant rematches and building up fighters by putting them up against ham and eggers. BJ vs. the winner of Jim Miller and Gleison Tebou would work for me, I would also like to see BJ vs Guillard for some strange reason.
I can think of about 10 other fights I would rather see Hughes in before a third with BJ. I actually don't thing a fight with the two of the would go any different than the second one, based on Penn's last two outings.

But up until a couple of months ago, people were saying Penn was one of the top 5 P4P and Hughes' career was all but over. I don't think Penn will be an easy fight for Hughes. I hope Hughes goes and trains with some guys like Edgar, rather than his usual buddies. Hughes beating Penn means much more than him beating another Gracie.

If you read around, most people think Penn will win. It will be interesting to see the odds for this. I would take Hughes. I see Penn spending a lot of time trying to defend takedowns. Playing the defense for a round or two will not go over well in a decision.

My hope is that Hughes spends a lot of time working on chain wrestling. I feel that over the years he has relied on explosive shots for his takedowns and never had to rely on chain wrestling. It didn't matter though because the wrestling of most WW for years was less than Hughes. I think Edgar's chain wrestling was what really made the difference in the fight with Penn. He doesn't just shoot for the double, he shoots, changes direction, turns the corner, etc.

Penn moving up to rematch Huges, after being stopped in their last fight and after being dominated in his last fight at 155, makes no sense what-so-ever.

...except as a trap for the casual fans who know both names and may fall for the "rubber match" plot-line.

I can't comment on the odds, but I would enjoy seeing a half-disinterested Huges win over BJ.

I think Penn is talented, but I have never considered him a top 5 pound for pound fighter, and I know I am in the minority for that. I wouldn't say the first fight with Hughes was a fluke, but he definately "caught" him and the rest is history. He has the right skill set and the right size to remain a top 5 LW, he does not have that same advantage at WW. Guys like Fitch, Alves, GSP, Johnson, and Koscheck to name a few would be a heavy favorite to win a fight with BJ, in my opinion. What more do these two have to prove against eachother? They will say the same BS in their interviews just like the first two fights, and neither one will gain any ground in the title picture with a win.

I think it's also interesting to note that Hughes actually picked BJ to win the fight against Edgar. He said this in his blog:

Penn vs. Edgar

I'm not sure what those quotes have to do with making a third fight between Hughes and Penn. Matt Hughes is critical of just about everything that comes to his attention, and BJ does have some major training flaws from time to time. At this point I see it as a meaningless fight for 3 reasons 1) BJ tried WW recently and had no luck, he got crushed 2) He only lost to one guy in the division and he is the champion, why get discouraged so easily? 3) Matt Hughes has only recently lost to the champion and at the time the #2 or #3 WW in the UFC, he should be challenging contenders at this point. I don't think they should put Hughes against GSP ever again, that would be even worse than a rematch with BJ. Using him against a Fitch or anyone else who is about a win away from a title shot would be a great way to measure if that figher can give GSP some sort of test.

I didn't say the quotes had anything to do with a rematch. I just found it interesting that Hughes had picked Penn to win.

Why should Matt be challenging contenders?
The guy has made it clear he doesn't want to fight young up and comers, and since he doesn't seem to care about getting back into title contention, I think he has earned that decision.

To say BJ tried WW recently and got crushed is misleading. BJ fought GSP and got crushed. Hughes got crushed by GSP as well, but theres nothing wrong with him continuing at WW. In fact everyone at WW gets crushed by GSP, perhaps they should all move to LW.

BJ to WW is stupid IMO. Sure, he has shown that Edgar has his #, but do people honestly think Edgar will hold onto the belt for that long to where BJ should jump to another division? Gray could very well beat Edgar and then BJ could end up getting another title shot. BJ is going to the strongest division in which he has little to no chance of being a top contender. GSP has his #, I'm willing to bet Fitch has his #, Thiago Alves would likely beat him, Koscheck would likely beat him, etc. It just doesn't make sense.

Hughes should not be challenging for the WW title until GSP loses, I'm sure he and the UFC know this and are OK with that. Fighters one or two fights away from being considered the number one contender would be great opponents for Hughes. If the stomp him they move up, if they lose they don't belong up there (this may be redundant). He would appropriately serve as the Penthouse Gatekeeper.

Hughes, Fitch, Hardy and obviously Alves can't make 155, atleast not with ease, BJ can. BJ has lost his last 3 WW fights in the UFC, and makes 155 with no problem. He always talks about wanting to be the champion, the road to the LW belt would seem to make the most sense.

Plus one for everything Oblivian's post.

I am completely biased in this fight, but who thinks Jim Miller can win tomorrow night? His stamina is top notch and I think that will get him a 2nd or 3rd round submission...

I got a question about 5/3/1.

I downloaded a template here and have been using it for the past 8 weeks. The past couple of weeks have been ridiculously difficult and I've been missing many reps on the last set.

Well, I figured out that the template bumps up the max weight by 6% for squats an deadlifts every 4 weeks and 3% for benchpress and strict press every 4 weeks. 6% of my deadlift is almost 25 lbs which is 6 lbs per week. Now I know I've only been training for a little over a year, but even when I started 6 lbs a week was pretty good for noob gains. Now that I've plateaued a few times, this seems completely impossible.

What's a reasonable percentage to bump the max every 4 weeks for each exercise (SQ, DL, BP, OH)? Is there a good % to use? Or should I just add 10 lbs to SQ and DL and 5 lbs to BP and OH. Just adding lbs seems to defeat the purpose of the spreadsheet, which only allows for % calculations.

Thanks in advance.

Hughes should not be challenging for the WW title until GSP loses, I'm sure he and the UFC know this and are OK with that. Fighters one or two fights away from being considered the number one contender would be great opponents for Hughes. If the stomp him they move up, if they lose they don't belong up there (this may be redundant). He would appropriately serve as the Penthouse Gatekeeper.

Hughes, Fitch, Hardy and obviously Alves can't make 155, atleast not with ease, BJ can. BJ has lost his last 3 WW fights in the UFC, and makes 155 with no problem. He always talks about wanting to be the champion, the road to the LW belt would seem to make the most sense.

Plus one for everything Oblivian's post.

I am completely biased in this fight, but who thinks Jim Miller can win tomorrow night? His stamina is top notch and I think that will get him a 2nd or 3rd round submission...

He is actually the favorite in the fight. I have Tibau and have a bet on Tibau. I would not be completely shocked if Miller won though. I just like Tibau's odds.

I got a question about 5/3/1.

I downloaded a template here and have been using it for the past 8 weeks. The past couple of weeks have been ridiculously difficult and I've been missing many reps on the last set.

Well, I figured out that the template bumps up the max weight by 6% for squats an deadlifts every 4 weeks and 3% for benchpress and strict press every 4 weeks. 6% of my deadlift is almost 25 lbs which is 6 lbs per week. Now I know I've only been training for a little over a year, but even when I started 6 lbs a week was pretty good for noob gains. Now that I've plateaued a few times, this seems completely impossible.

What's a reasonable percentage to bump the max every 4 weeks for each exercise (SQ, DL, BP, OH)? Is there a good % to use? Or should I just add 10 lbs to SQ and DL and 5 lbs to BP and OH. Just adding lbs seems to defeat the purpose of the spreadsheet, which only allows for % calculations.

Thanks in advance.

Just add 10lbs to SQ and DL, and 5lbs to BP and OH. If you use that spreadsheet, the stronger you are, the faster it has your gains, which is completely backwards. I have the same spreadsheet, what I'd do is use it to calculate 4 weeks at a time, and then you re-input your training maxes as 5-10lbs higher. Or you could find a spreadsheet that does things correctly. Or lower the percents so that you get reasonable numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back