The Dive Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I was surprised at how non-violent it was besides the Sokoudju vs. Alexander fight. It seemed like a lot of guys were fighting for a decision. Did you notice all of the takedown attempts at ends of rounds to steal a round? Jardine did it almost every round and Daley did it a couple times. Masvidal definitely wanted a decision as well.

I just read a pretty depressing stat on Jardine. He's lost 7 of his last 9 fights and the two that he won were by split decision.

^ and before that streak he was 13-2. The level of competition has grown exponentially in the last couple of years. Just being an "unorthodox striker" will not cut it anymore.

Jardine still has huge, gaping holes in his standup game, and he exclusively wants to stand even though he's a damn good grappler. It is odd that he has not progressed at all from where he was 3 or 4 years ago. If you aren't moving forward you are moving backward.

Alright, I'm good for at least a couple of worthless programming questions a week just based on general curiosity so here's a couple more.

If I wanted to incorporate farmer's walks into a program of 1x/week of squat/bench/dead/press, would the best day be to do them on squat day or deadlift day? Also, what's a good system of progression? I already tried the heaviest DBs we have and I can walk with them for a good distance. We don't have those plate stack poles, so is the only way to increase distance or to try to increase speed?

Here's another crazy idea of mine. If recurring (but minor) pain prevents you from lifting heavy every week, could you space out your strength training days or could you do alternate weeks of pure strength and maintenance? I'm not asking about periodization (at least I don't think so). I'm saying sort of an extended Texas Method where rather than heavy medium and light days. You have heavy and light/medium weeks. Would the maintenance/light/medium/deload week between heavy weeks be too long of a rest and prevent neuromuscular coordination and connections from developing over time?

And let me point out that I don't mean like extending a normal training week over the course of 2 weeks or 3 weeks with added rest and active recovery. I mean doing a week (3 or 4 sessions of heavy lifting) and then the following week doing the same exercises but just significantly lighter for moderate reps and then the third week go back in and go heavy again in the next step in your progression that you would have done the previous week if you were strength training every week.

I'd probably put farmer's on squat day if they were heavy enough. Otherwise, it seems that grip isn't an issue because they're not heavy enough, so you could probably get away with putting them on deadlift day.

Would it be possible to do farmer's walks with two barbells? It's ages ago now, but before we got farmer's walk handles, I recall some of the lifters at my gym doing farmer's walks that way. And yes, probably squat day, or an upperbody day that isn't right before a squat or DL day.

Alternating weeks between strength and maintenance could work. Although I think a better set up would be where one week you go hard with the main movements, and easy on the accessory/supplemental work, and the next week easy on the main movements, and more volume with the accessory/supplemental work. I mean, you shouldn't be having to moderate the intensity/volume of your training that much, you're not an old man yet (right?), even if you have particular limitations/considerations.

Nope not old. It was just a thought and I wondered about the feasibility of it.

And my gym is cramped as it is. I barely have enough room to do DB farmer's walks. I'll probably just have to make do.

Strikeforce signed both Josh Barnett and Jorge Masvidal. They should have some cool fights in the org.

Strikeforce is just asking for trouble with signing Barnett.

It should be interesting. He's bad news because he can beat any of their stars, but he's flaky and who knows if he'll pass a piss test.

I hate to say it, but I think Fedor is going to go on a downhill slide.

He might be declining but Barnett is no young lion himself.

Well honestly, I think Fedor may have a problem dealing with Overeem as well.

I think there is a 1% chance that Barnett is the UFC's other promotions killer.

It should be interesting. He's bad news because he can beat any of their stars, but he's flaky and who knows if he'll pass a piss test.

I'm not really sure what the upside is of Barnett. For instance, if he wins the belt then Strikeforce has a guy that's been found to use steroids numerous occasions. I also get the impression that he is more loyal to himself and not the company. He gives a good interview, bu it's often to pro-wrestling based. Strikeforce SHOULD be trying to clean up its image, and Barnett isn't going to help them do that at all.

Well honestly, I think Fedor may have a problem dealing with Overeem as well.

If Overeem can strike fast or get into a good position to ground and pound I think he could beat Fedor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back