The injury wasn't really accidental

Yeah I consider this a better win than a leg break or something too. Hope Yair gets title shot and maybe they can rematch down the road.

Doubles absolutely can cause damage.

When has a shoulder ever popped out in the ufc from an arm pull out to defend the arm bar from a stacked position? It wasnt like Mir v Williams
Any takedown can cause damage, but don’t aim for it. If you slam a guy too hard from a double and he lands on his head, that’s a knockout for you. So if you atack a sub and the guy hurt himself defending, that’s a sub.

the armbar targe the elbow, but the hitchhiker’s scape for instances put your shoulder ate risk, that’s the same.

People do the hitchhiker’s scape 1000 times, but one time they get stuck and yank too hard, they shoulders are gone, due to the sub. That’s the same
That's not the same thing as actually arm barring someone though... if someone has done an escape 1000 times, and this time was the exact same, except they happened to get injured because of preexisting injuries this 1/1000 time that's a freak injury... I guess you can technically call it a sub, but it's obviously completely different than really hitting a clean sub that would submit someone without an injury

People pull their arms out of loose arm bars like that 1000’s of times lol, that is a 1 in 10000 freak injury

Not a legit sub at all

I've escaped tons of times the same way, but I put one knee directly up against the tailbone of the opponent to keep him from extending and mess around with the rhythm before really yanking it out. I just think Ortega didn't expect to be put in an armbar and was absolutely shocked Yair had the balls to go for it, and furthermore, do it correctly.

If Brian injures himself escaping, that's on him. It's not like he threw a punch and suddenly grabbed his shoulder in pain or he was lighting up Yair and twisted his ankle by slipping on a sweat puddle or something... Ortega's posture was compromised, making the armbar legit IMO.

Any takedown can cause damage, but don’t aim for it. If you slam a guy too hard from a double and he lands on his head, that’s a knockout for you. So if you atack a sub and the guy hurt himself defending, that’s a sub.

the armbar targe the elbow, but the hitchhiker’s scape for instances put your shoulder ate risk, that’s the same.

Right, and if the guy defending the takedown tears a ligament in his knee, that's also a win.

That wasnt the escape. We have seen pull out escape from stacked positions 1000 of times, that's the first time there's been a shoulder dislocate. Yair wasnt aiming or planning for that finish at all. It happen, it's a win whether you want to praise it is up to you

I've escaped tons of times the same way, but I put one knee directly up against the tailbone of the opponent to keep him from extending and mess around with the rhythm before really yanking it out. I just think Ortega didn't expect to be put in an armbar and was absolutely shocked Yair had the balls to go for it, and furthermore, do it correctly.

If Brian injures himself escaping, that's on him. It's not like he threw a punch and suddenly grabbed his shoulder in pain or he was lighting up Yair and twisted his ankle by slipping on a sweat puddle or something... Ortega's posture was compromised, making the armbar legit IMO.
It didn't look tight to me at all though, it looked like there was very little pressure needed to injure Ortega's shoulder... just a freak accident because Ortega had an already compromised shoulder

I get what you're saying, that's just not the same as actually arm barring someone IMO

Probably caused by some pressure with that armbar and escape, but not because armbar was good or Rodriguez is an amazing grappler. Either he came to fight with injury or something popped (injuries happen thing). Sad, that after entertaining main card, we didn't get an amazing main event (which I'm sure we would see). Ortega was getting tagged on the feet, but who knows who would do better with cardio and if Ortega would get grappling going. I don't see Yair against Volkanovski, but why not? We didn't see them fight, leg Alex beat contenders

That's not the same thing as actually arm barring someone though... if someone has done an escape 1000 times, and this time was the exact same, except they happened to get injured because of preexisting injuries this 1/1000 time that's a freak injury... I guess you can technically call it a sub, but it's obviously completely different than really hitting a clean sub that would submit someone without an injury
I see what you're saying, but respectfully disagree.

Mir v Sylvia. Sylvia was pulling his elbow out, but Mir was so strong that he broke Sylvia's forearm instead of dislocated his elbow.

That's a "tap or snap" sub.

So was tonight's.

We can hypothesize about pre-existing conditions, 1/1000, armbar being in the wrong place or even

all we want. But the fact is, the sub was tight, the injury occurred, and the fight ended.

One can make the argument that he popped his shoulder escaping a tight armbar.

I see what you're saying, but respectfully disagree.

Mir v Sylvia. Sylvia was pulling his elbow out, but Mir was so strong that he broke Sylvia's forearm instead of dislocated his elbow.

That's a "tap or snap" sub.

So was tonight's.
He snapped his forearm in half... that wasn't due to a preexisting injury... that wasn't a freak accident, if you put them in the same position the same thing would happen

Ortega vs Yair is a 1/1000 chance type of thing you wouldn't consistently get if you put them in the same position

Imagine a knee popping out during a kneebar and people calling it a freak injury <36>

Not even remotely the same lol.

The kneebar attacks the knee, an armbar doesn't attack the shoulder.

He snapped his forearm in half... that wasn't due to a preexisting injury... that wasn't a freak accident, if you put them in the same position the same thing would happen

Ortega vs Yair is a 1/1000 chance type of thing you wouldn't consistently get if you put them in the same position
Cmon man. You sound like Phil Helmouth. "I'd beat you 999 times out of 1000!" after losing.

I'm gonna chalk this up to a semantic misunderstanding. We are debating the meaning of words, not MMA. And that's just dumb. So, until next time ;)

One can make the argument that he popped his shoulder escaping a tight armbar.
I liked someone's example comparing it to blowing a knee out when getting taken down

You could argue that the guy hitting the TD made his opponent's knee blow out... but it's a freak injury that wouldn't normally happen in that position

Cmon man. You sound like Phil Helmouth. "I'd beat you 999 times out of 1000!" after losing.
Lol don't compare me to that narcissist weirdo

I'm not arguing from a place of bias like him.... there's a reason everyone immediately felt like it was a freak injury and not a normal submission

It isn't my fault this crowd is too dumb and thinks they got screwed out of a result. It wasn't a nut kick. It wasn't an eye poke. It was not a foul or an early stoppage. Ortega got caught in an armbar, pulled out quickly and dislocated his shoulder in the process. I'm sorry the casual crowd doesn't know what they're watching.

That's a legit win for Yair. That was final enough for me. Ortega got caught in a sub and didn't get out of it intelligently. Shoulder dislocated.

Wasn't deep and it was a standard escape. You can say it's legit but its akin to a knee injury from sprawling
His shoulder was fine when he stepped in there. It was wrecked in the fight. Sorry dude that’s an L

I liked someone's example comparing it to blowing a knee out when getting taken down

You could argue that the guy hitting the TD made his opponent's knee blow out... but it's a freak injury that wouldn't normally happen in that position
Ah. So you're saying it's more like Shogun v Coleman 1 (Shogun broke his arm planting on a takedown) than Mir v Sylvia 1.

I still respectfully disagree. Cheers.

He stacked, started to pull/work his arm out and it popped as he pulled it out.

You have people, right now, in gyms doing this exact same escape and their shoulder's don't pop out. Freak injury, however:

a win is a win and volk needs a new challenger who brings something he's not seen yet (high flying, diverse and fast attacks from the feet and hands).

Back