The injury wasn't really accidental

Lol don't compare me to that narcissist weirdo

I'm not arguing from a place of bias like him.... there's a reason everyone immediately felt like it was a freak injury and not a normal submission
Ya, because people wanted a good (longer) fight, and people are emotional. Especially "immediately" after.

he's had two shoulder surgeries, and ortega's about as good as it gets on the ground, so... in this case I'd say yair had less to do with it than if it had been against someone else.

Fuk, I missed everything. I finding a good stream and the fight ended, just from the descriptions, it sounds like Brian was getting touched then got injured from an escape which is basically a TKO?
Brian was getting lit up on the feet so bad he was like a human punching bag and was trying to dry hump Yair along the fence to try and buy himself some time.

Eventually Ortega went for a Hail Mary trip he was so desperate to escape Yair on the feet.

But then he had fallen into Yairs world, Yair is one of the best submission artists on the planet and he tore Ortegas arm from its shoulder joint until Ortega was left on the canvas screaming in agony while the ref called for a stretcher and air ambulance to be brought in.

Rener Gracie left ringside in floods of tears and vowed to never teach again.

Yair then jumped into the crowd like Aldo in Brazil and was carried off on a wave of loving fans to celebrate into the night.

It looked like Ortega pulled his shoulder when forcing the arm out rather than from pressure from Yair, so to me its accidental.

Armbar doesn't target your shoulder

It isn't my fault this crowd is too dumb and thinks they got screwed out of a result. It wasn't a nut kick. It wasn't an eye poke. It was not a foul or an early stoppage. Ortega got caught in an armbar, pulled out quickly and dislocated his shoulder in the process. I'm sorry the casual crowd doesn't know what they're watching.

That's a legit win for Yair. That was final enough for me. Ortega got caught in a sub and didn't get out of it intelligently. Shoulder dislocated.

Imagine actually believing what you said to be true. Lol

It looked like Ortega pulled his shoulder when forcing the arm out rather than from pressure from Yair, so to me its accidental.

So many idiots here who literally have no idea what they’re talking about. Even a mod was saying it’s a legit submission. Lol

Didn’t know armbars target shoulders now . . .

Watch it again.

The armbar was not in it's most typical place, no. It was high up. On the shoulder.

Ortega pulled, but Yair had it tight. Instead of pulling out, he pulled and got stuck. Then it popped.

If it hadn't been so high or if it hadn't been so tight, Ortega probably would have escaped. But it was and it was, so he didn't.

It was not a textbook roll. But that doesn't make it a fluke.

So many idiots here who literally have no idea what they’re talking about. Even a mod was saying it’s a legit submission. Lol

Didn’t know armbars target shoulders now . . .

Just guys who have never rolled acting like BJJ experts.

If the guy your rolling with injures themselves, you don't claim to have subbed them... because you haven't

Yes but if you have to injure yourself to escape a hold,then the hold was doing its job

No not necessarily. Ortega had other positional options & the armlock didn't force him into that.

He chose to do that and his shoulder didn't agree with him. Self inflicted in my book

Going down officially as a tko not a technical submission. The lateral rotation of Brian’s elbow, high hips of Yair, and Brian pulling back put the pressure in a weird spot.

I’d be open to a rematch down the road. Brian may be out for a minute and no one wants to see Yair idle.

Last edited:
No not necessarily. Ortega had other positional options & the armlock didn't force him into that.

He chose to do that and his shoulder didn't agree with him. Self inflicted in my book
Self inflicted because he was in a bad spot

Happened as a direct consequence from a sub. The body being so weak it can't resist a strong sub is no excuse.

It isn't my fault this crowd is too dumb and thinks they got screwed out of a result. It wasn't a nut kick. It wasn't an eye poke. It was not a foul or an early stoppage. Ortega got caught in an armbar, pulled out quickly and dislocated his shoulder in the process. I'm sorry the casual crowd doesn't know what they're watching.

That's a legit win for Yair. That was final enough for me. Ortega got caught in a sub and didn't get out of it intelligently. Shoulder dislocated.
Hmmm... pretty much every fighter ever caught in that position got out that way without popping a shoulder.
It's a freak injury, no one will ever try again and successfully dislocate a shoulder with that technique.

Not 100% accidental, but a fluke.

He chose to do that because he had to defend a sub, the armbar totally forced him to do that. There are other options of defense, but you ultimately have to chose one, because you are under atack.

Back