The Sheer Idiocy of Opponents Talking Trash

IronGolem007

Po Atan
Platinum Member
Reaction score
In stark opposition to the recent thread, Be grateful that Sean is abrasive, I offer the opposite view, that Talking trash = Sheer Idiocy.

Sean Strickland vs. Dricus Du Plessis was almost universally regarded as "hard sparring match," with ALMOST ZERO actual efforts to finish.
All that "trash talking" constituted nothing but woof tickets ...

By contrast, consider Khabib vs. Gaethje.
Both fighters respectful, toned down, but seriously determined in their efforts.
The fight itself was a banger, with Gaethje trying to kill Khabib with almost every shot, and Khabib hunting Gaethje down like a wolf.
On the second takedown, Khabib executes a beautiful finish.

More recently, consider Pereira versus Procházka.
Both warriors, both quiet, both confident, both respecting their opponents, but both deadly serious ... in fact many called the pre-fight staredown "the most intense they had ever seen" ... yet both were respectful.
Again, the fight itself was a banger, with Pereira expertly crippling Procházka, and yet with Jiri going into "wild man mode" in the second — BOTH LOOKING TO FINISH.
Pereira got the finish.

Bottom Line: Real fighters don't need trash talk.
What they need are balls, plus the ability and the desire TO FINISH.

At the end of the day Strickland and DDP are elite at nothing, ability-wise, and neither one of them stepped on the gas to legit go for a finish.
At best, their fight (despite all the "trash talk") was mediocre, and ultimately a disappointment.

The most exciting fights don't need one drop of trash talk, they just need warriors who are legit trying to finish each other, and who have the ability to do so.

"Trash talk" is a substitute for actual balls and skill.

The most elite fighters typically are quiet, but serious and confident.
Their actions will speak louder than their words.

In stark opposition to the recent thread, Be grateful that Sean is abrasive, I offer the opposite view, that Talking trash = Sheer Idiocy.

Sean Strickland vs. Dricus Du Plessis was almost universally regarded as "hard sparring match," with ALMOST ZERO actual efforts to finish.

Both fighters respectful, toned down, but seriously determined in their efforts.
The fight itself was a banger, with Gaethje trying to kill Khabib with almost every shot, and Khabib hunting Gaethje down like a wolf.

Both warriors, both quiet, both confident, both respecting their opponents, but both deadly serious ... in fact many called the pre-fight staredown "the most intense they had ever seen" ... yet both were respectful.
Again, the fight itself was a banger, with Pereira expertly crippling Procházka, and yet with Jiri going into "wild man mode" in the second — BOTH LOOKING TO FINISH.
Pereira got the finish.

At the end of the day Strickland and DDP are elite at nothing, ability-wise, and neither one of them stepped on the gas to legit go for a finish.
At best, their fight (despite all the "trash talk") was mediocre, and ultimately a disappointment.

The most exciting fights don't need one drop of trash talk, they just need warriors who are legit trying to finish each other, and who have the ability to do so.

I've read your article and agreed with all that was written.

But I disagree with you in essesnce.

FIghters talking trash can elevate a mediocre fighter to million dollar contracts and multiple title shots!
Colby, Masvidal are great examples.

Masvidal embraced the "street Jesus" and Colby has gone all heel.Both are cringe at best in their trash talks.
But BOTH got multiple title shots Just because they talk trash.

...and that is a great offense to "trash talk", because these dudes are TERRIBLE at it.
Sonnen or Conor would be ashamed to be on the same bucket as those clowns.

I've read your article and agreed with all that was written.

But I disagree with you in essesnce.

FIghters talking trash can elevate a mediocre fighter to million dollar contracts and multiple title shots!
Colby, Masvidal are great examples.

Masvidal embraced the "street Jesus" and Colby has gone all heel.Both are cringe at best in their trash talks.
But BOTH got multiple title shots Just because they talk trash.

...and that is a great offense to "trash talk", because these dudes are TERRIBLE at it.
Sonnen or Conor would be ashamed to be on the same bucket as those clowns.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm not sure the trash talk actually "sells tickets" ... I think "genuine badassness" + genuine finishers sells more than anything.

Look at Errol Spence versus Terrence Crawford.
Both completely toned down, absolutely respectful, made a fortune on their fight.

Although Khabib/Conor made a lot, maybe it was because of Conor's mouth, but I think the fight would've broken records regardless.

Either way, Conor's mouth didn't help him win that fight ...

I have always hated trash talk. It cheapens everything. But hey, that's me, obviously most fans love it the other way around.
As far as the desire to finish is concerned, that should be the objective of any serious fight. If a fighter can’t accomplish it, doesn’t matter, as long as you can see genuine effort. Sadly, sparring matches at a high level are becoming more numerous (or at least it feels like it), probably due to well-roundedness of fighters and fear of loss. Losing at a high level can mean a serious loss of income, in particularly if it is a title fight.

They looked like pretty damaged for a "hard sparring match".

But it's always been that way. You talk and then you just try to win.
Rashad-Rampage comes to mind....

I've received a broken nose, a split lip, and broken ribs and sparring matches, with neither of us actually trying to finish each other.

Just the way it goes, five rounds, with four-ounce gloves.

"Tissue damage" does not equal a legit effort was made to finish.

Pereira got the finish.

Yes i agree and Ankalaev will destory Pereira without any trash talk

Yes i agree and Ankalaev will destory Pereira without any trash talk

You mean, the way Ankalaev "destoried" Jan ... by eating Jan's leg kicks, and then laying-and-praying to a draw?

The same Jan, whose legs Pereira destroyed, and whose chin Pereira just about finished in Rounds 2 and 3?

You mean, the way Ankalaev "destoried" Jan ... by eating Jan's leg kicks, and then laying-and-praying to a draw?

The same Jan, whose legs Pereira destroyed, and whose chin Pereira just about finished in Rounds 2 and 3?
After the Jan fight he improved himself now he has adamantium legs. I want Pereira to win but unfortunately after the fight i will be disappointed for one minute and you will cry for a week

Last edited:
Most of the time it's to help hype the fight.
Sometimes wow shocker two fighters who are going to fight genuinely don't like each other and are gonna say so

Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm not sure the trash talk actually "sells tickets" ... I think "genuine badassness" + genuine finishers sells more than anything.

Look at Errol Spence versus Terrence Crawford.
Both completely toned down, absolutely respectful, made a fortune on their fight.

Although Khabib/Conor made a lot, maybe it was because of Conor's mouth, but I think the fight would've broken records regardless.

Either way, Conor's mouth didn't help him win that fight ...
haha indeed, but it clearly helped him become a multimillionaire.

But take Masvidal for example.
He was a guy who didn't talk much trash. So for more than a decade, he was only known to real MMA fans.
But since the "3 pieces and a soda" , he became the street Jesus, being flown out to fight for the belt. And a repeat, as if him getting ANY title shots was not unimaginable for him without Leon backstage "fight".
Hell, I think that made the news more even than the KO from Masvidal that night.

1706124503342.png

It's true that none of these trash talkers are the best, and you can throw in Paddy along with them. GSP didn't need to be a trash talker to be the biggest PPV draw of his time.

I think it improves UFC sales in the short run to have certain fighters that earn money above their skill-grade with that kind of trash talk. In the long run, however, the UFC will never be above a bush league sport with that kind of an atmosphere; the NFL/MLB/NBA and others would never allow it. Players talk trash, but it is not nearly as trashy as what happens in the UFC.

Pereira got the finish.

"hard sparring match"

Holy shit, dude.

The point of trash talk is to sell the fight, not to affect or intimidate your opponent.

Everyone goes into that cage to fight regardless what shit is talked.

The fight itself is a completely different story.

But we already have your money now, don't we.

I don't have problems with trash talk until you let your mouth start writing checks your ass can't cash. Some of it is totally moronic, others can be pretty witty with it. I like the latter. Hell we've seen it get into some people's heads and potentially impact their performance.

Strickland annoys me because he does all this pushing envelopes, self-admittedly saying he says what others think but are afraid to say, and he had no limits on what he'll call out. But, when the role is reversed, he's in his feels because people went to his childhood.

I'm not saying they should've gone to his childhood, but I'm saying if you're hanging your hat on being the guy that says what everyone else is afraid to, no matter how inappropriate, don't get twisted when someone does it back to you.

After the Jan fight he improved himself now he has adamantium legs. I want Pereira to win but unfortunately after the fight i will be disappointed for one minute and you will cry for a week

I doubt that very much, but time will tell.

Back