The Sheer Idiocy of Opponents Talking Trash

Yeah, I agree with you for the most part TS. I'd rather a champ who is well-spoken and respectful like GSP versus a dipshit like Strickland.

Having said that, there's certainly different levels to trash talk. Chael Sonnen used to do it a lot and, for the most part, was pretty witty about what he'd say. It's in stark contrast to these modern trashtalkers who just bark the most obnoxious trash they can with zero wit behind them.

It's true that none of these trash talkers are the best, and you can throw in Paddy along with them. GSP didn't need to be a trash talker to be the biggest PPV draw of his time.

I think it improves UFC sales in the short run to have certain fighters that earn money above their skill-grade with that kind of trash talk. In the long run, however, the UFC will never be above a bush league sport with that kind of an atmosphere; the NFL/MLB/NBA and others would never allow it. Players talk trash, but it is not nearly as trashy as what happens in the UFC.
GSP has one of the most iconic trash talking moments in the history of the sport. “I am nut imprezzed by your performanze”

GSP has one of the most iconic trash talking moments in the history of the sport. “I am nut imprezzed by your performanze”
That was a moment GSP regretted and totally changed the way he approached talking to other fighters when in the Octagon after fights. He said he would never come in and draw the spotlight in another fighter's moment of victory like that again, and after that he always came into the Octagon in a suit and was super polite.

The reason that moment lived on forever was the light-hearted funniness of it, and this hilarious look on Matt's face that was a true Kodak moment; it was also funny the way GSP said it, you could tell it wasn't his personality to talk trash, so it came out funny.

It was nothing like these angry screaming moments of drama queen bullshit that we have from fools like Sean and Colby; GSP didn't go talking smack about someone's dead father or anything.

GSP is MMA's #1 gentleman, and anyone who doubts that doesn't know much about him.

I swear some of yall are only interested in nothing but Bonafide squash matches where an over matched fighter gets obliterated in the first half of the first round. Sean and DDP went out there and whooped each other's asses for 25 minutes straight with constant pressure and constant strikes from both. Not every fight is going to end in a finish and calling wars that don't end in a finish "hard sparring matches" is asinine.

Trash talk is so boxing

Its 2024 time for Recycle talk
ex: I’m not impressed by your performance

Always the absolutes with this guy,the TS

IT IS NOT LIKE THIS.

IT CAN ONLY BE LIKE THAT.
isn´t he the one trash talking on the forum, as far as trash talk goes, like take your own advice

Reactions: HHJ
Stuff just escalated sometimes. That’s just the way it is. Sometimes it’s funny. And sometimes it’s not and goes too far.

Reactions: HHJ
And we have seen 5 round fights where neither has looked like anything.

But I now get that you meant hard. I guess my issue was the word sparring in a fight where both guys really fought their asses off. It just happened to be thag neither managed to really hurt the other.
Shamrock vs Servern 2 is a good example I like to show people.

I hate it when people insult family members. However
In some cases trash talk creates a psychological advantage.
I don't think Chael I does as well against Silva, nor would McGregor have done as well against Aldo without the months of trash talk.

I always find it weird when guys run down their opponent's skills. I'd want to big up a guy I beat as the baddest MF'er in the world.

They always do it pre-fight, and then after the fight they pretty much suck each other off with compliments.

I'm waiting for some fighter to come along and finally do the opposite. Like, win a fight then immediately get on the mic and start stuff like "Yeh, my opponent was an absolute can. Anyone could have beaten that bum. Send in the next one."

I hate it when people insult family members. However
In some cases trash talk creates a psychological advantage.
I don't think Chael I does as well against Silva, nor would McGregor have done as well against Aldo without the months of trash talk.
It ups the stakes. Now you got alot more pressure to win,cos this guys talkin shit about your country,and maybe the promotion wants you to lose too,and wont give you an easy road to get the title back.

It works for boxing.

I think MMA has largely shed the stigma you are talking about. Its on fuckin ESPN for chrissakes. Them days is over
I don't disagree it's popular.
But what I meant is that most people who do not watch MMA is because they think it's just brutes fighting other brawlers.
And we are not changing their minds by throwing trolleys into a bus.

Don't care for it but it's not going anywhere.

<Fedor23>

I didn’t even need to read the thread. Once I saw who the poster is I assumed it’s gonna be about his man crush on Alex P and hate for Strickland

Yeah, I hear ya...
But it really bugged me the disrespect.

Almost all Martial Arts teach you to be respectful, and to use it for Self-defense or competitions.
Bullies and disrespect had no space in it...

Unfortunately, UFC has two big issues:
1) They are a promotion that don't know how to promote Fighters
2) they are greedy as fuck!

So any fighter who promotes themselves, the UFC Gladly give them the spotlight.
Hate also sells.

So that's why they don't stop this disrespect... they actually encourage it!
Which is frustrating, since this sport have a stigma of Cockfighting, and disrespect does not help our cause.

SO yeah, at the end of the day, I blamed the UFC...
But if you want to disrespect or be a bully, well.... they earn my hate!
Isn't it what they are asking?? 🤷‍♂️
We were taught two things early: Snitches get stitches and talk shit, get hit. The new era of "Talk shit, get rich" is insane to me. I'm turning into the old guy yelling at the clouds though.

In stark opposition to the recent thread, Be grateful that Sean is abrasive, I offer the opposite view, that Talking trash = Sheer Idiocy.

Sean Strickland vs. Dricus Du Plessis was almost universally regarded as "hard sparring match," with ALMOST ZERO actual efforts to finish.
All that "trash talking" constituted nothing but woof tickets ...

By contrast, consider Khabib vs. Gaethje.
Both fighters respectful, toned down, but seriously determined in their efforts.
The fight itself was a banger, with Gaethje trying to kill Khabib with almost every shot, and Khabib hunting Gaethje down like a wolf.
On the second takedown, Khabib executes a beautiful finish.

More recently, consider Pereira versus Procházka.
Both warriors, both quiet, both confident, both respecting their opponents, but both deadly serious ... in fact many called the pre-fight staredown "the most intense they had ever seen" ... yet both were respectful.
Again, the fight itself was a banger, with Pereira expertly crippling Procházka, and yet with Jiri going into "wild man mode" in the second — BOTH LOOKING TO FINISH.
Pereira got the finish.

Bottom Line: Real fighters don't need trash talk.
What they need are balls, plus the ability and the desire TO FINISH.

At the end of the day Strickland and DDP are elite at nothing, ability-wise, and neither one of them stepped on the gas to legit go for a finish.
At best, their fight (despite all the "trash talk") was mediocre, and ultimately a disappointment.

The most exciting fights don't need one drop of trash talk, they just need warriors who are legit trying to finish each other, and who have the ability to do so.

"Trash talk" is a substitute for actual balls and skill.

The most elite fighters typically are quiet, but serious and confident.
Their actions will speak louder than their words.

Most people don’t give a shit about your weird little stoic fantasy. If you want fighters to just shut up and fight, you should just get into dog fighting or cock fights.

Hyperbole and trash talk are part of the drama. If you’re not watching for the drama, then you’re really just trying to watch two guys hump on each other. You’re watching broke back mountain just to watch heath ledger make out with Jake Gyllenhall and that’s lame and sells the “sport” short

Back