The Sheer Idiocy of Opponents Talking Trash

I reckon there are two main ways to market yourself, be Whittaker which is respectful, humble but tough as nails and fight like hell. Or you can be Covington, we all know how he rolls. Both will get you big fights but I know which strategy I respect more.

I honestly don't even think Conor belongs in the same category as Chael. His best lines are calling Dustin "peahead" and an admittedly solid line against Stephens.
Oh, by all means, I agree with you!!
I Paused for a long time thinking if I was making a mistake bundling Conor with Master Chael.
But even if I don't like his trash talk, he basically filled up big stadiums with people whom obviously like this kind of "trash talk" (which is always something disrespecting or demeaning the opponent).
That's why at the end of the day, I guest Conor and Chael are about the same level, but for opposite tastes in what is a Trash talk. ;)

Oh, by all means, I agree with you!!
I Paused for a long time thinking if I was making a mistake bundling Conor with Master Chael.
But even if I don't like his trash talk, he basically filled up big stadiums with people whom obviously like this kind of "trash talk" (which is always something disrespecting or demeaning the opponent).
That's why at the end of the day, I guest Conor and Chael are about the same level, but for opposite tastes in what is a Trash talk. ;)
I think it's just one of those things I don't get. I never found him to be that fun to listen to or that much more exciting than any other striker.

I think it's just one of those things I don't get. I never found him to be that fun to listen to or that much more exciting than any other striker.
Agreed!
I hated him with a passion.
I remember the "world Tour" with Aldo. He was so disrespectful, and Dana just laughed his ass off, encouraging Conor.
I remember his fans (those that asks questions to fighters); most Conor Fanboys went to the mike just to curse at Aldo.
ANd Dana did nothing... laughed.
He should have demanded respect to the UFC Champion. Conor is a fighter and was about to fight Aldo, so he "had the right" to play games. But his fucking retarded fans should not have been allowed crossing that line.

Agreed!
I hated him with a passion.
I remember the "world Tour" with Aldo. He was so disrespectful, and Dana just laughed his ass off, encouraging Conor.
I remember his fans (those that asks questions to fighters); most Conor Fanboys went to the mike just to curse at Aldo.
ANd Dana did nothing... laughed.
He should have demanded respect to the UFC Champion. Conor is a fighter and was about to fight Aldo, so he "had the right" to play games. But his fucking retarded fans should not have been allowed crossing that line.
I didn't hate him. I did and do hate what he did to the sport though.

you know why fighters started talking trash in the first place? because no one wants to pay to see a fight between two strangers they don’t care about. people need to feel like they have a stake in the outcome of the fight. they need to feel like it matters who wins, and who loses. that’s why people like to root for their home football team instead of just cheering for the winner—when their home team wins, they win. it’s a reason to celebrate. it’s fun. if people aren’t invested, they won’t care, which means they won’t pay to watch. so, it doesn’t matter if you are some kind of sportsmanship purist. if nobody’s paying to watch the fights, fighters won’t make money, and they probably won’t fight.

also, plenty of examples of fighters who talked trash and delivered exciting fights, and “humble” fighters being in boring fights.

You mean, the way Ankalaev "destoried" Jan ... by eating Jan's leg kicks, and then laying-and-praying to a draw?

The same Jan, whose legs Pereira destroyed, and whose chin Pereira just about finished in Rounds 2 and 3?
I wouldn't say Pereira destroyed Jan's legs, but he Has huge chance with his leg kicks. Ankalaev should try to wrestle asap

I honestly don't even think Conor belongs in the same category as Chael. His best lines are calling Dustin "peahead" and an admittedly solid line against Stephens.

There was nothing really 'solid' about that Stephens line. It was a literal grade school-level burn. The delivery was good though.

The idea that Conor is a good talker is a mass delusion. He is often straight up incoherent. People are drawn to the accent and the brash style, not the substance.

He absolutely doesn't belong anywhere near Chael, who is leagues above anyone else in MMA.

I don't watch WMMA if I can avoid it, but from the limited amount I have seen Julianna Pena is a better heel talker than some of the current dime store male heels that get fluffed by the media.

There was nothing really 'solid' about that Stephens line. It was a literal grade school-level burn. The delivery was good though.

The idea that Conor is a good talker is a mass delusion. He is often straight up incoherent. People are drawn to the accent and the brash style, not the substance.

He absolutely doesn't belong anywhere near Chael, who is leagues above anyone else in MMA.

I don't watch WMMA if I can avoid it, but from the limited amount I have seen Julianna Pena is a better heel talker than some of the current dime store male heels that get fluffed by the media.
His timing is what I appreciated the most.

Sometimes it's a bit amusing but for me I have little to no interest in trash talk. However, it's not going anywhere like so much else in the game... So mote be it.

I didn't hate him. I did and do hate what he did to the sport though.
Yeah, I hear ya...
But it really bugged me the disrespect.

Almost all Martial Arts teach you to be respectful, and to use it for Self-defense or competitions.
Bullies and disrespect had no space in it...

Unfortunately, UFC has two big issues:
1) They are a promotion that don't know how to promote Fighters
2) they are greedy as fuck!

So any fighter who promotes themselves, the UFC Gladly give them the spotlight.
Hate also sells.

So that's why they don't stop this disrespect... they actually encourage it!
Which is frustrating, since this sport have a stigma of Cockfighting, and disrespect does not help our cause.

SO yeah, at the end of the day, I blamed the UFC...
But if you want to disrespect or be a bully, well.... they earn my hate!
Isn't it what they are asking?? 🤷‍♂️

Both fighters respectful, toned down, but seriously determined in their efforts.
Yes but one of the most intriguining aspects of fighting is when you have personalities clashing with each other. That's why Khabib vs Conor sold better than Khabib vs Gaethje.

CONFLICT.

They couldnt be more opposite and both sides will resonate with different types of people.

EMOTIONAL INVESTMENT.

I,for one,prefer the mix of personalities,and the inevitable clashes that will of course up the stakes...and the stakes is the most important thing in Prize Fighting. Two guys just respecting each other,the stakes arent as high.

You cant have it one way or the other. In fighting there's always gonna be both. Respect and disrespect.

2) Conor, at least at first, had genuine charisma.
He still does,but it only works with momentum on his side.

When he is just a guy coming off a bunch of losses,and no one is intimidated by him anymore,he's just mean spirited. It kind of shows his weak character.

So that's why they don't stop this disrespect... they actually encourage it!
Which is frustrating, since this sport have a stigma of Cockfighting, and disrespect does not help our cause.
It works for boxing.

I think MMA has largely shed the stigma you are talking about. Its on fuckin ESPN for chrissakes. Them days is over

Why even have press conferences or do any media at all?
Seriously.

Low brow is perfectly acceptable when it comes to fighting. They arent here to see who will score better on a math test. These guys are here to hurt each other.

At some point,someone's going to go too far in your eyes,or mine,but then they have to go back that shit up in the cage. They are putting it up. Upping the stakes. FUCK. His opponent HAS to beat him now! He said that shit!

I'm not sure my point made its way through.

My point is, Trash Talking ≠ an Exciting Fight.

Strickland and DEP may have been "evenly matched" ... but neither one of them did fuckall to legit try to finish the other.

They both "blocked and jabbed" ... threw looping punches "hiding their heads" looking at the floor, like rank amateurs.

My point is it's usually the most respectful, quiet fighters who put on the most dynamic fights.

No trash talk is needed, balls-out effort to finish in the cage is what is exciting, not all that mouth-running outside of it.

Alex Pereira and Jiri Procházka is but one example.

Both quiet, respectful outside the cage — are seriously trying to kill you inside the cage.
Your point is valid, but being quiet and respectful does not guarantee the fighter is exciting either. Just depends on the fighter.. Machida and Anderson are my two favorite fighters (which support your premise), but there are plenty of respectful fighters (like Esparza) who I definitely wouldn’t call exciting. For every boring smack talker, I’m sure there is an equally boring respectful fighter… which gives something for every type of mma fan..

Reactions: HHJ
I don’t understand this. Both Sean and Dricus praised each other in terms of skills and toughness. They didn’t minimize each other in that regard. The trash talking was mainly personal stupid shit and not insulting each others abilities.

Reactions: HHJ
Back