The Sheer Idiocy of Opponents Talking Trash

The point of trash talk is to sell the fight, not to affect or intimidate your opponent.

Everyone goes into that cage to fight regardless what shit is talked.

The fight itself is a completely different story.

But we already have your money now, don't we.

Neither Sean nor Du Plessis has the charisma, or intelligence, to pull it off with aplomb.

At the end, it looks and sounds lame is shit.

Again, look at Errol Spence versus Terrence Crawford.

Zero trash talk, but an epic fight, where the master tamed the runner-up, by finish.

No trash talk needed, just genuine skills, balls, and killer instinct (not "sparring instinct").

I don't have problems with trash talk until you let your mouth start writing checks your ass can't cash. Some of it is totally moronic, others can be pretty witty with it. I like the latter. Hell we've seen it get into some people's heads and potentially impact their performance.

Strickland annoys me because he does all this pushing envelopes, self-admittedly saying he says what others think but are afraid to say, and he had no limits on what he'll call out. But, when the role is reversed, he's in his feels because people went to his childhood.

I'm not saying they should've gone to his childhood, but I'm saying if you're hanging your hat on being the guy that says what everyone else is afraid to, no matter how inappropriate, don't get twisted when someone does it back to you.

I see your point.

That's exactly what happened, they wrote checks their asses couldn't cash.

So did Conor McGregor, but the difference was

1) Conor always tried to finish, and always either finished (or was finished).
2) Conor, at least at first, had genuine charisma.

Most of these idiots have no charisma, and are looking to point fight.

I may not like Conor anymore these days, but in his prime he spent 100% of his effort trying to knock you TF out.
He may not of been always successful, but he legit is trying to knock somebody TF out every second of every fight.

The only exceptions were, when he got hurt or tired. He would become a runner, which ruined his shtick.

But if he was fresh, he was not trying to "point fight" anyone, he was looking to finish.

I don't follow any fighters on social media or watch press conferences other than post fights when they usually talk about the fight. It's all pointless blather. If more fans tuned it out they'd stop doing it and being rewarded for it.

I've received a broken nose, a split lip, and broken ribs and sparring matches, with neither of us actually trying to finish each other.

Just the way it goes, five rounds, with four-ounce gloves.

"Tissue damage" does not equal a legit effort was made to finish.

And we have seen 5 round fights where neither has looked like anything.

But I now get that you meant hard. I guess my issue was the word sparring in a fight where both guys really fought their asses off. It just happened to be thag neither managed to really hurt the other.

Neither Sean nor Du Plessis has the charisma, or intelligence, to pull it off with aplomb.

At the end, it looks and sounds lame is shit.

Again, look at Errol Spence versus Terrence Crawford.

Zero trash talk, but an epic fight, where the master tamed the runner-up, by finish.

No trash talk needed, just genuine skills, balls, and killer instinct (not "sparring instinct").
But the problem with that comparison is that in that fight there was cldarly a superior fighter where as here there wasnt. It was about as evenly matched as can be.

I appreciate Strickland not for his trash talk but for using his fame and platform to cast light on very serious issues in the world right now, and calling out neo-leftist propaganda.

He'll poke fun at his opponents but very rarely does he get vile and venomous with his words. Rampage Jackson was the same way. It's the best kind of trash talk IMO - shitheads like Colby who cross lines and bring up things you shouldn't bring up is where trash talk turns dumb.

I always find it weird when guys run down their opponent's skills. I'd want to big up a guy I beat as the baddest MF'er in the world.
I've always agreed with this.

like how usman is asked about fighting masvidal, He responds with "Who?"

Then you fight him twice in a row. So you're supposed to be the best fighter in the world no.1 p4p (lmao) and you not only fight fighters that you claim you cannot recall, But you actually call them out after a victory to fight them again?

You call him a journeyman, and fight him twice. I guess usman is a champ that cherry picks journeymen? It's right there in his own manifest.

All he had to say is " Yeah, Masvidal looked very good, super aggressive Crazy power... did you see that knee? That was scary. Nothing compared to what I'd to to him though *laughs*"

Talking trash is one thing. But NEVER EVER "Big League" your opponent. It only makes you look worse for fighting opponents who are so undeserving/outclassed. Compliment your opponent on their skills and efforts, then assure the audience that you are superior.

Fighters don't talk trash to be "real fighters", they talk trash to sell fights. Sean's trash talking and ring side shenanigans lead to a sold out arena, giant uptick for how well the PPV was tracking, enormous social media buzz and media exposure. He did his job. And most importantly - he guaranteed himself a job in the future. People wanna watch him now more than ever. He could go on a 3 fight skid now and still draw.

And you brought up Khabib - dude only started gaining steam when he began shittalking himself, with the whole "Let's go with your chicken!" MSG promo. He would've stayed in the prelims or remained a complete nothing like Islam, had he stayed quiet. Shittalking is what got him the Conor fight and, subsequently, the fame he has.

Fact that it's 2024 and MMA fans still think performances in the cage is enough is absolutely baffling. Unless, you're, like, 12 years old or something or have a sub 80 IQ - that's not how the business works and finishing ability isn't what seperates GOAT contenders from the rest of the pack.

BASE jumping is sheer idiocy.

Shit talking is just words.

Sticks and stones can break my bones but shit…. BASE jumping can fucking kill me.

I always find it weird when guys run down their opponent's skills. I'd want to big up a guy I beat as the baddest MF'er in the world.
For real -- some fighters find nothing but flaws in their opponents based on shit talk you hear which means that they themself have a lackluster resume since everyone they fight "sucks" lol

But the problem with that comparison is that in that fight there was cldarly a superior fighter where as here there wasnt. It was about as evenly matched as can be.

I'm not sure my point made its way through.

My point is, Trash Talking ≠ an Exciting Fight.

Strickland and DEP may have been "evenly matched" ... but neither one of them did fuckall to legit try to finish the other.

They both "blocked and jabbed" ... threw looping punches "hiding their heads" looking at the floor, like rank amateurs.

My point is it's usually the most respectful, quiet fighters who put on the most dynamic fights.

No trash talk is needed, balls-out effort to finish in the cage is what is exciting, not all that mouth-running outside of it.

Alex Pereira and Jiri Procházka is but one example.

Both quiet, respectful outside the cage — are seriously trying to kill you inside the cage.

And we have seen 5 round fights where neither has looked like anything.

But I now get that you meant hard. I guess my issue was the word sparring in a fight where both guys really fought their asses off. It just happened to be thag neither managed to really hurt the other.

I don't think they thought their asses off.

I think each fought "not to lose" ... they each feared "being finished" ... so they both held something back for fear of this.

Neither one let it all hang out, , despite all of this "kill/stab" talk, gestures cutting each other's throat, and all of this other bullshit.

At the end of the day, it was a hard sparring match, with no one honestly trying to finish, kill-or-be-killed.

The latter effort will always make for the most exciting fights.

Part of why I appreciated Forrest Griffin.

I've read your article and agreed with all that was written.

But I disagree with you in essesnce.

FIghters talking trash can elevate a mediocre fighter to million dollar contracts and multiple title shots!
Colby, Masvidal are great examples.

Masvidal embraced the "street Jesus" and Colby has gone all heel.Both are cringe at best in their trash talks.
But BOTH got multiple title shots Just because they talk trash.

...and that is a great offense to "trash talk", because these dudes are TERRIBLE at it.
Sonnen or Conor would be ashamed to be on the same bucket as those clowns.
I honestly don't even think Conor belongs in the same category as Chael. His best lines are calling Dustin "peahead" and an admittedly solid line against Stephens.

Back