'The Wire' - It gets better after the 1st season, right?

I didn't like season 2. That was a weird direction for the series to take. But then it gets back on track in S3 and onwards

If you didn't like S1 though you're probably not gonna feel the whole show. Watch The Shield instead (Although The Shield S1 was also dodgy and I gave up on it once. S2 onwards it was amazing though)

It took me a while to learn to appreciate 2. I think a lot of it has to do most people nowadays can't relate with dockworkers.

I'd guess its probably because the focus shifts significantly, people were hoping to carry on following the Stringer/Barksdale story and instead we largely shift to a different story in terms of the criminals. At the end of the day though I think its still an effective story and I would actually have liked to see more of it come back in for the 5th season rather than the media/serial killer plot.

Watch The Shield instead (Although The Shield S1 was also dodgy and I gave up on it once. S2 onwards it was amazing though)

Its my #2 GOAT show, now that GoT fell off my rankings.

Season 1 focuses mainly on black drug dealers. Season 2 focused mainly on the white working class and organized crime. Season 3 went back to black drug dealers. Season 4 focused more on the education system and how good kids can get turned bad by their circumstance in life. Season 5 focused more on journalists and the media and how perception becomes reality.

Every season is critically acclaimed, but generally I think most people prefer seasons 1 and 3. Personally, I thought it was a good series throughout, but the first 3 seasons were the best for me. I think David Simon exercised solid quality control by cutting off the show after season 5 because the last two seasons had spun a bit off of the blueprint, and while still interesting, they could have/would have jumped the shark after that.

It's not for you. The second season is actually disappointing to a lot of people as the story changes focus to a new cast of characters.

For the record season 2 contains the most annoying character I've ever seen on television. Not in a good way either.

Part of what made the show so great...

Is that Rawls was such a racist prick, ostensibly homophobic and bigoted across the board. Yet in one small scene in one episode, it's revealed that he's chilling with a bunch of black dudes in a gay bar when Brother Mouzone's goon Lamar comes in looking for Omar. The goon makes a scene and Rawls casually says "what the fuck is his problem?" and the scene ends. That happened right in the middle of the series and was never addressed again. Such a great and complex character, and he was just a minor one. So many great characters and incredible writing on the show.

For the record season 2 contains the most annoying character I've ever seen on television. Not in a good way either.
I hated him too, but the guy played another character in this show called Generation Kill and he was my favorite on there.

You should watch it btw, it's good.

Part of what made the show so great...

Is that Rawls was such a racist prick, ostensibly homophobic and bigoted across the board. Yet in one small scene in one episode, it's revealed that he's chilling with a bunch of black dudes in a gay bar when Brother Mouzone's goon Lamar comes in looking for Omar. The goon makes a scene and Rawls casually says "what the fuck is his problem?" and the scene ends. That happened right in the middle of the series and was never addressed again. Such a great and complex character, and he was just a minor one. So many great characters and incredible writing on the show.

That reminds me of this scene, one of my favorites:

When you walk through the garden
You gotta watch your back
Well I beg your pardon
Walk the straight and narrow track
If you walk with Jesus
He's gonna save your soul
You gotta keep the devil
Way down in the hole
He's got the fire and the fury
At his command
Well you don't have to worry
If you hold on to Jesus' hand
We'll all be safe from Satan
When the thunder rolls
Just gotta help me keep the devil
Way down in the hole

It's not for you. The second season is actually disappointing to a lot of people as the story changes focus to a new cast of characters.
I loved the second season because it reminded me of my time working with containers at a yard we did the same work those stevedores/longshoreman did. it was pretty accurate.

Stick to polls, you know, like your momma!

b33ec9f1e81dba64e9b963279840c480.gif

I couldn't even make it through the first episode, i started to watch funny cat videos on my phone.

The first season of the Wire is damn good.

2nd season is the toughest to get thru but still very good

Agreed. Garbage show imo.

Got 4 or 5 eps through and turned it off. Not on the level of Prison Break.

I thought S1 was slow, it took me about 6 months to finish it.

Season 2 is definitely picking up.

I think the show is good, i guess it's a slow build type of show.

Overall, i know I'll end up finishing some day.

Season 1 is definitley a bit slow, You're introduced to dozens of different characters who you don't really give a shit about yet. But as the seasons progress, you begin to really see their motivations and personality quirks come through which makes for an entertaining experience.

Season 2 was a bit meh first time watching it, I've come to have a new found appreciation of it though. Seasons 3 and 4 are the best seasons I've seen of literally any TV show.

Back