News Tom Aspinall says he will NOT give Ciryl Gane a shot at his interim heavyweight title next

Do you agree with Tom Aspinall?

• Total voters
It's a useless pretend belt. The UFC are likely dead set on Jones vs Stipe which could be up to a year from now. Stipe won't fight for anything less than undisputed gold and a guaranteed pay day vs JJ. If Tom wants to stay active his only viable options are Gane or Almeida

well, i can get that, but it's like the fight against spivac didn't happen.

spivac was supposed to be THE test to see if gane TDD has improved. and spivac wasn't even able to put an hand on him.

Gane won't probably ever have a great ground game, but many great fighters, even champs, didn't have either.

but this fight against jones, he just wasn't the same: not moving on his feet like he usually does, throwing an ill advised jab, giving his back...... even on his feet, it was not him this night. We should'nt judge him only on this bad fight. he has destroyed almost the entire category outside of this fight.

he's not a submission artist neither he's a KO guy. but the way he makes opponents want to quit is something rare to see. we're talking about bmf here, tough guys, and they all finish the same way against gane, turning their back and going into turtle position. that's not something usual in this sport at this level.
I largely agree with this. I think I wanted to see him defend against something better set up than what Spivac was doing, before I'm like "oh yea that's the new prototype HW I thought he could be." I do not think that there is a HW that I would pick to beat him striking over 5 rounds. I'm just not convinced that he can stay off of his back enough to do that, when we are looking at the best HWs. That could be completely wrong, but I just haven't seen what I've needed to see since the Ngannou fight. I hope to be wrong because there is a ton of potential there.

I largely agree with this. I think I wanted to see him defend against something better set up than what Spivac was doing, before I'm like "oh yea that's the new prototype HW I thought he could be." I do not think that there is a HW that I would pick to beat him striking over 5 rounds. I'm just not convinced that he can stay off of his back enough to do that, when we are looking at the best HWs. That could be completely wrong, but I just haven't seen what I've needed to see since the Ngannou fight. I hope to be wrong because there is a ton of potential there.
Spivak was never THE guy to test Gane's wrestling defense. Sherdog just hyped him up and played down Gane as a can since Jones handled him so easily.

Spivak isn't even a wrestler. He's a slow, unathletic Judo guy. If he can't close the distance and grab a hold of you he's fucked.

Gane honestly doesn't deserve to fight Tom, funny because Gane was just saying he doesn't want to fight Tom because he's ranked too low for him.

Jones, Being the HW champ, should 100% defend his title against the interim champ or be stripped. If he really wants to fight stipe next he can do it without the title.

The special treatment which will cause Jones to be unable to unify the title for 1-2 years is fucking crazy.

They should keep British people from holding belts, it immediately goes to their head and they think they run the sport.

Fight who they put in front of you.

Interim champ who’s a 500 fighter after the first round is calling shots.

Feed Gane to a grappler like Almeida or Blaydes. Enough title shots for this mediocre one dimensional French kickboxer.

Let him prove his games evolved

Back