Top 10 Best Countries for Women to Live In

I've never heard that. Any links?

Just google it. If you want a starting point, this probably has a lot of links.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_honor_(Southern_United_States)

White majority countries were the Imperial ones, largely avoided Communism outaide of Russia/Yugoslavia and/thus are the wealthiest and most developed. Poorer nations are almost universally more Patriarchy based (and potentially Theocratic also), likely to be communist and/or corrupt, and thus women dont develop as economic and academic equals

Japan wasnt colonized, but they took Korea during the industrialization process and not coincidentally those are the two most developed and women friendly countries in Asia since then....

That succintly sums up this list, the current world economic state

Not quite. The gulf countries are the richest countries in the world.

But, in general, even that idea is sort of useless. As far as we know, wealthy countries are better for both women AND men. Why emphasize women then?

Just google it. If you want a starting point, this probably has a lot of links.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_honor_(Southern_United_States)

I didn't see anything about honor killings.

The Southern culture of honor also includes a notion that ladies should not be insulted by gentlemen. Southern gentlemen are also expected to be chivalrous towards women, in words and deeds.

Although "culture of honor" qualities have been generally associated with men in the southern United States, women in this region have also been affected and even shown some of the same qualities. In Culture of Honor, it is stated that women play a part in the culture, both "through their role in the socialization process, as well as active participation." By passing these ideas along to their children, they are taking part in social conditioning.[4]

Not quite. The gulf countries are the richest countries in the world.

But, in general, even that idea is sort of useless. As far as we know, wealthy countries are better for both women AND men. Why emphasize women then?
it was probably more to differentiate among the (assumed) decent countries, which ones are better for women

and the gulf countries 'are', but look at their population and citizen numbers. Their wealth is artificially inflated by the fact that like the vast majority of all the populace is migrant international workers, and not citizens.
- the number of UAE citizens is around 11.5% and the remaining 88.5% made up of Expatriate workers
-Expatriates account for around 70% of Kuwait's total population, with Kuwaitis constituting 28%-32% of the total population.
-Qatar is 88% immigrant migrant worker
- Bahrain being 'the best' with 45% being Bahraini, 5% other Arab, and 45.5% being asian migrants

Last edited:
I didn't see anything about honor killings.

I didn't link you to Wikipedia to answer your question, I linked you to Wikipedia so you could do your own research. Some information is complex enough that five minutes of reading won't be enough to teach you anything.

it was probably more to differentiate among the (assumed) decent countries, which ones are better for women

Fair.

and the gulf countries 'are', but look at their population and citizen numbers. Their wealth is artificially inflated by the fact that like the vast majority of all the populace is migrant international workers, and not citizens.
- the number of UAE citizens is around 11.5% and the remaining 88.5% made up of Expatriate workers
-Expatriates account for around 70% of Kuwait's total population, with Kuwaitis constituting 28%-32% of the total population.
-Qatar is 88% immigrant migrant worker
- Bahrain being 'the best' with 45% being Bahraini, 5% other Arab, and 45.5% being asian migrants

I don't think it really matters why a country is wealthy. I'm sure China and India would be a lot wealthier if they didn't each have a billion peasants to take care of. And I'm sure America would be a lot poorer if they hadn't been selecting the most talented immigrants from around for asylum in order to boost their tech and science.

Fair.

I don't think it really matters why a country is wealthy. I'm sure China and India would be a lot wealthier if they didn't each have a billion peasants to take care of. And I'm sure America would be a lot poorer if they hadn't been selecting the most talented immigrants from around for asylum in order to boost their tech and science.
it does when the wealth disparity makes ours look nonexistent. Those migrant workers in those countries have less rights and everything that comes with, and make paltry incomes. Which allows for them to siphon all the oil profits for themselves, giving everyone a pension, etc...My main point was it wasn't a great life for everyone in UAE or Kuwait, only the very small percentage of actual citizens. Everyone else might as well be in yemen or Iraq or libya

but you're right, like if we were to visit those countries and say another Arab country, one would notice a drastic and stark difference. Less theocracy, alcohol, nice cars, etc....

it does when the wealth disparity makes ours look nonexistent. Those migrant workers in those countries have less rights and everything that comes with, and make paltry incomes. Which allows for them to siphon all the oil profits for themselves, giving everyone a pension, etc...My main point was it wasn't a great life for everyone in UAE or Kuwait, only the very small percentage of actual citizens. Everyone else might as well be in yemen or Iraq or libya

Again, I don't really see the relevance. Every country has policies. Some of those policies lead to wealth and some don't. That wealth is then concentrated in the hands of the few or spread among the many.

What you're saying is that, because of the policies in many gulf countries, their citizenry is far wealthier than the citizenry of other countries--because of the policies of those countries. Okay.

I didn't link you to Wikipedia to answer your question, I linked you to Wikipedia so you could do your own research. Some information is complex enough that five minutes of reading won't be enough to teach you anything.
Dude, you made the claim, why should I do your footwork for you?
Stop fucking around and show me a link, I'm genuinely curious. If not, fuck it, either way. It's just bad form. When I make a claim, I am the one expected to support it, not the other way around.

www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/women-full-list

1. Denmark

2. Sweden

3. Norway

4. The Netherlands

5. Finland

6. Canada

7. Switzerland

8. Australia

9. New Zealand

10. Germany

Any objections to this list? Is no one going to complain that these countries are also great for men to live in? Or that the top countries on the list have far less women in STEM fields compared to countries like Iran and Burma, thus these women can live comfortable but ultimately ineffectual and stereotypical lives?

Pull up the numbers of people moving from X to the USA and from USA to next, adjust for population and tell me if the US has more people leaving for X.

Have fun.

Also, we don't know what metric they are using as "best for women". In fact, women are individuals and all measure life differently.

PS I know a woman who moved from Sweden to the USA and she said Sweden is a shithole. I remember being upset at hearing this at the time as I was into all things Scandinavian at the time, shit, I was even eating at the damn nordic place in NYC ffs.

@TheGreatA what's with Finnish rape rates?

I can answer for him as a fellow Finn. In January 2017 it was reported that 29 % of rape cases where the suspect had been identified were committed by foreigners. Also out of the total reported rapes the share of the foreigners had increased from around 1/10 to 1/5 in one year. These stats of course don't take into consideration first or second generation immigrants/refugees who have been granted citizenship. Also the total amount of reported rapes had increased by 20 % in one year.

That of course doesn't explain the whole difference compared to other countries but I'd say the rest of it mostly comes down to lower threshold for women to report these things compared to many Western countries.

Last edited:
Ohh the old "swedish rape stats" debate. lol

www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/women-full-list

1. Denmark

2. Sweden

3. Norway

4. The Netherlands

5. Finland

6. Canada

7. Switzerland

8. Australia

9. New Zealand

10. Germany

Any objections to this list? Is no one going to complain that these countries are also great for men to live in? Or that the top countries on the list have far less women in STEM fields compared to countries like Iran and Burma, thus these women can live comfortable but ultimately ineffectual and stereotypical lives?

Not best countries for women to live in but best countries to be a single mother. Lets call spade a spade yo. Afaik all those countries discriminate based on gender in favor of women.

Stop fucking around and show me a link, I'm genuinely curious. If not, fuck it, either way. It's just bad form. When I make a claim, I am the one expected to support it, not the other way around.

Sorry, it's just frustrating to have to explain the same concepts over and over and over again, especially ones that seem a bit self-evident to me with a bit of thought. When someone in the thread says poor countries treat women poorly, no one asks for evidence for that unsubstantiated claim. But when I say something backed by decades of research, I'm forced to defend it in thread after thread.

I'm on my phone, so it is a hassle to post links. But there aren't really numbers on honor killings in America, if that's what you're looking for. Even in countries with broader honor cultures, the sort of honor killings that make the news--like when a father kills his daughter for getting raped--are so rare that they are statistically negligible.

However, if you understand what an honor culture is, which the Wikipedia page can help you do, you'll be able to better understand how violence works in such cultures. It's less about specific, newsworthy incidents, but more about how there's an general surplus of honor-motivated murder. Does that make sense? I'm not trying to duck your question, there's just no simple way of answering it.

Pull up the numbers of people moving from X to the USA and from USA to next, adjust for population and tell me if the US has more people leaving for X.

Have fun.

I don't understand. How is this comment related to my post? The US isn't even on this list.

Also, we don't know what metric they are using as "best for women". In fact, women are individuals and all measure life differently.

PS I know a woman who moved from Sweden to the USA and she said Sweden is a shithole. I remember being upset at hearing this at the time as I was into all things Scandinavian at the time, shit, I was even eating at the damn nordic place in NYC ffs.

I know a woman who moved back to Finland because she thought NYC was a shithole, so you can still love Scandinavia if you want.

Yeah, part of my issue with this list is that we don't know the metric. I can't find many metrics by which this list makes sense, though.

Not best countries for women to live in but best countries to be a single mother. Lets call spade a spade yo. Afaik all those countries discriminate based on gender in favor of women.

I think this is certainly a valid position when comparing these countries to the rest of the world. Although maybe that's what the list was going for? I looked at the essay of their metrics and much of it is rather subjective. The people assembling it, being Westerners, appeared to privilege Western womanhood as superior, which can certainly be argued against.

Last edited:
He's just moving the goalposts because he made a claim that isn't true, and now, he's trying to establish all sorts of barriers (like making you research his claim) so that you simply drop it rather than demonstrate to the rest of the thread that he's simply wrong. But don't worry, he's just wrong.

He's just moving the goalposts because he made a claim that isn't true, and now, he's trying to establish all sorts of barriers (like making you research his claim) so that you simply drop it rather than demonstrate to the rest of the thread that he's simply wrong. But don't worry, he's just wrong.

http://righteousmind.com/where-microaggressions-really-come-from/

http://www.oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780195396607/obo-9780195396607-0160.xml

So unless a poster on Sherdog provides evidence for you, it isn't true? What kind of thinking is that?

There are your links. You're not going to read them, so thanks for wasting my time.

Back