Trump Administration to Step Up US Arms Sales(Trump Getting Personally Involved)

Wait......so Trump is going to do the exact same thing that every president has done?

literally Hitler.

Lol..i should have read thread. Someone beat me to the obvious.

So you are saying they don't have the people who know how to make them or that their currently existing factories and manufacturing are incapable of being used for such? Is it a lack of people who know how, or a combination of the two? I ask because during ww2 we had seemingly non martial factories converted to making bombs and guns here in the states pretty quickly. Famously, the Singer Sewing machine company.
In the case of the Saudis its both, most of their population(like 97%) just have public jobs and have little interest in private sector jobs. They're completely dependent on foreigners for any sort of productive work, from the lowest level(South Asian laborers) to the highest and most skilled(Western technicians). Immigrants took all their jobs but the citizens are okay with it because they have cushy state jobs, compete with benefits and stuff and of course foreigners need a native sponsor so they rent out their signatures for even more money.

Wait......so Trump is going to do the exact same thing that every president has done?

literally Hitler.

Why do you think it makes sense for Trump to get a pass for things that other presidents didn't get a pass for?

literally Hitler.

It's not the same though. Read the article I posted today.

Why do you think it makes sense for Trump to get a pass for things that other presidents didn't get a pass for?

I think selling weapons to our allies is not a bad idea.

It can backfire no doubt.

literally Hitler.

But he's not, he's actively relaxing the controls that make it harder for regimes that abuse human rights to get their hands on weapons.

I think selling weapons to our allies is not a bad idea.

It can backfire no doubt.
Bush & Obama caught a lot of criticism for arming Israel and the Saudis, for instance.

Trump is a little different from them because he's trying to reduce legal barriers to US arms trafficking, which (I assume) almost no people in America think is a good idea. We can't really predict who he's going to arm, but with reduced accountability, that always means more arms to war zones where the demand is, with reduced red tape in the Pentagon.

I think people are right to be worried about that, and there isn't any kind of hypocrisy issue with criticism here that I can see.

In the case of the Saudis its both, most of their population(like 97%) just have public jobs and have little interest in private sector jobs. They're completely dependent on foreigners for any sort of productive work, from the lowest level(South Asian laborers) to the highest and most skilled(Western technicians). Immigrants took all their jobs but the citizens are okay with it because they have cushy state jobs, compete with benefits and stuff and of course foreigners need a native sponsor so they rent out their signatures for even more money.
Holy piss.. Damn. I honestly did not know that.. They literally farmed out all of their private sector work? So you are right. They literally have little to no capacity for it.. But what about some place like say, Egypt or Liberia or some such, are they in a similar boat?

What I don't understand is how is the government selling weapons when they are manufactured by private companies? So why is it always the US. GOV selling weapons to Israel and not Raytheon or some such? Do the private companies not sell over seas and only the Government does?

Also, why shouldn't we sell arms to our allies? I mean, the stronger they are, the less we will have to act like their military and defend them.. I mean look at all those free loading EU nations with sub 2% military expenditures. Fuckers refuse to spend anything, instead spending all that money on social programs(to their benefit, and it is a smart move on their part) while we spend our money acting as their real defense force.

I for one and ok with selling them arms. HOPEFULLY at some point we can scale back our bases there, and close them. Save that money for our Citizens and some real meaningful Social programs.

So if everyone else becomes better armed America will spend less on maintaining its advantage??

So if everyone else becomes better armed America will spend less on maintaining its advantage??
What I was trying to say is, I am tired of watching the US spend its money to be the effective defense of so many nations when they can and should be doing it their damn selves. That's a whole hell of a lot of money that would be better spent in the US on social programs..

Holy piss.. Damn. I honestly did not know that.. They literally farmed out all of their private sector work? So you are right. They literally have little to no capacity for it.. But what about some place like say, Egypt or Liberia or some such, are they in a similar boat?
Egypt is a more normal country but I doubt they can match our arms production, both in quantity or quality. There's a reason they come to us. Part of it is we sweeten the deal with military aid so the money we give them is basically a gift card to be spent on our hardware so our companies can keep jobs and pumping out stuff. But its also because we're good at it.

Look, you have a point that if we didn't do it they would find someway to get their hands on arms but it would be a huge blow to these countries as they'd have to find less generous and effective benefactors. Israel for instance does not care that much about human rights, as evidenced by the fact that they're selling arms and training to Myanmar despite the human rights concerns there, and they have a very high tech weapons industry. But I'm just hard pressed to believe the gap left by a US restriction on arms sales to such countries could be filled quickly, it would take decades if it ever happened at all.

Egypt is a more normal country but I doubt they can match our arms production, both in quantity or quality. There's a reason they come to us. Part of it is we sweeten the deal with military aid so the money we give them is basically a gift card to be spent on our hardware so our companies can keep jobs and pumping out stuff. But its also because we're good at it.

Look, you have a point that if we didn't do it they would find someway to get their hands on arms but it would be a huge blow to these countries as they'd have to find less generous and effective benefactors. Israel for instance does not care that much about human rights, as evidenced by the fact that they're selling arms and training to Myanmar despite the human rights concerns there, and they have a very high tech weapons industry. But I'm just hard pressed to believe the gap left by a US restriction on arms sales to such countries could be filled quickly, it would take decades if it ever happened at all.
I think I am underestimating how long it would take, but I do think eventually the gap would be made up. Its all about supply vs demand. Now weather or not the quality ever catches up, that I am doubtful over.

Wait.. Israel is selling arms to Myanmar? Smh.. You know, real talk here, but the only real reason I am an Israel supporter is because I am a Christian.. Been taught my whole life that despite that they are Jewish that I should support them wholly because they are of the Abrahamic faiths like us.. Wonder if it is time to reconsider that.. I Can't ignore whats happening in Palestine forever..

I think I am underestimating how long it would take, but I do think eventually the gap would be made up. Its all about supply vs demand. Now weather or not the quality ever catches up, that I am doubtful over.

Wait.. Israel is selling arms to Myanmar? Smh.. You know, real talk here, but the only real reason I am an Israel supporter is because I am a Christian.. Been taught my whole life that despite that they are Jewish that I should support them wholly because they are of the Abrahamic faiths like us.. Wonder if it is time to reconsider that.. I Can't ignore whats happening in Palestine forever..
They deny it but there are reports that one of their high tech arms has made it over there along with training. They also trained Colombian Sicarios back in the heyday of the Medellin cartel.

They deny it but there are reports that one of their high tech arms has made it over there along with training. They also trained Colombian Sicarios back in the heyday of the Medellin cartel.
Not to mention the fact that they are not so secretly bombing Syria.. Lord help us if they catch Russians in the process. What is it with Jewish people and pissing everyone off for the last 4000 years?

10wv6hl.png

What I was trying to say is, I am tired of watching the US spend its money to be the effective defense of so many nations when they can and should be doing it their damn selves. That's a whole hell of a lot of money that would be better spent in the US on social programs..

I don't think American military spending is as altruistic as you are making out.

I believe it is done for its own benefit and other countries benefit in exchange for concessions or support of Americas interests.

If America wanted to help there are vastly more cost effective ways.

Back