Law Tulsi Gabbard (D) and Republican Introduce house bill: “Protect Women’s Sports Act of 2020"

2. The attention given to the issue rather than the position on it is a sign of rightist cultural identification. That is, most on the left object to the issue but see it as insignificant and something that should be handled at very local levels to account for nuance in the individual situations (a hulking MTF knocking girls around on the rugby field is not the same as a skinny 4th OF on the softball team, for example). The right is obsessed with the issue because talking about stuff that matters is bad for them politically (how much popular support can you get for more tax cuts for rich people and weaker environmental and labor regs?).

There are a multitude of issues that are relatively insignificant which still get regulated at a federal level. How is this any different than regulating trans bathroom rights?

Also "handle at local levels" is basically the same thing as "let the states handle it", traditionally a right wing position.

Protesting an issue despite having the same position on it as right wingers is nonsensical virtue signalling.

There are a multitude of issues that are relatively insignificant which still get regulated at a federal level. How is this any different than regulating trans bathroom rights?

Also "handle at local levels" is basically the same thing as "let the states handle it", traditionally a right wing position.

Protesting an issue despite having the same position on it as right wingers is nonsensical virtue signalling.

Your understanding of left and right is really weak. And I haven't seen anyone protesting this.

Your understanding of left and right is really weak. And I haven't seen anyone protesting this.

Then you aren't looking very hard. I mean read the news ffs. You're not going to address anything else that was said?

We're not. It's two things:

1. You have people trying to rationalize their support for Gabbard by cherrypicking some actions and positions of hers to fit with their own self-conception.
2. The attention given to the issue rather than the position on it is a sign of rightist cultural identification. That is, most on the left object to the issue but see it as insignificant and something that should be handled at very local levels to account for nuance in the individual situations (a hulking MTF knocking girls around on the rugby field is not the same as a skinny 4th OF on the softball team, for example). The right is obsessed with the issue because talking about stuff that matters is bad for them politically (how much popular support can you get for more tax cuts for rich people and weaker environmental and labor regs?).

Calling this a rightist issue just shows that you aren't a parent and cant possibly comprehend how they view this - especially those with daughters.

Calling this a rightist issue just shows that you aren't a parent and cant possibly comprehend how they view this - especially those with daughters.

I am a parent. What percentage of people in the country are affected by this issue? Well under a hundredth of one, right? But it's something that rightists are obsessed with. Why is that?

I am a parent. What percentage of people in the country are affected by this issue? Well under a hundredth of one, right? But it's something that rightists are obsessed with. Why is that?

Every parent with a daughter playing sports is affected so I'm going to go with around 5-10%.

More so if your daughter is talented enough (or borderline) to play on the collegiate level, but we'll pretend that isnt an issue so that you can claim it's a non-issue.

Just make sports unisex. Everyone vs Everyone. And dont spend time on this shit, better start searching cures for untreatable diseases.

Every parent with a daughter playing sports is affected so I'm going to go with around 5-10%.

Your understanding is that there are transgirls on every girls sports team? I've never encountered one in my life or even heard of one in the same league.

More so if your daughter is talented enough (or borderline) to play on the collegiate level, but we'll pretend that isnt an issue so that you can claim it's a non-issue.

???

How this could cause outrage just shows how powerful the media and social media are. People brainwashed at such a large percentage
Of the population that this is remotely controversial.

Don’t speak the truth or the obvious. You will get called names.

she has a post on facebook about it, been reading some of the comments
90% aplauding, both lib and rep
10% calling her a transphobe (almost without exception those that do have either blue hair, blm av, etc, the professional outrage clique)

she has a post on facebook about it, been reading some of the comments
90% aplauding, both lib and rep
10% calling her a transphobe (almost without exception those that do have either blue hair, blm av, etc, the professional outrage clique)

This. I thought she would get eaten alive but it's mostly positive response. The only people complaining have pronouns in their bio, rainbow flags or colored hair.

I'm a bit neutral on the subject. I generally like Tulsi's takes. This seems really low priority and the timing is bad to be discussing during a worldwide pandemic. I think there has to be a rational/common sense approach. Trans people exist. If these trans people want to compete in sports, we need to allow them to do so but what should be the restrictions?

The far left will say they should be able to compete in whichever sport their gender identifies with. The far right will say they shouldn't compete at all and it's a mental disease. There should be a compromise somewhere but even if you do compromise with something like making testosterone levels are equal and that someone must be full transitioned, they'll say you are a TERF and you are imposing restrictions simply because they are trans.

You really can't win on subjects like this and abortion.

This. I thought she would get eaten alive but it's mostly positive response. The only people complaining have pronouns in their bio, rainbow flags or colored hair.

I'm a bit neutral on the subject. I generally like Tulsi's takes. This seems really low priority and the timing is bad to be discussing during a worldwide pandemic. I think there has to be a rational/common sense approach. Trans people exist. If these trans people want to compete in sports, we need to allow them to do so but what should be the restrictions?

The far left will say they should be able to compete in whichever sport their gender identifies with. The far right will say they shouldn't compete at all and it's a mental disease. There should be a compromise somewhere but even if you do compromise with something like making testosterone levels are equal and that someone must be full transitioned, they'll say you are a TERF and you are imposing restrictions simply because they are trans.

You really can't win on subjects like this and abortion.
just let common sense prevail
if you allow the discussion to be dominated by the screeching lunatics, it will never be enough
no transwomen in sports? have trans women in sports
not enough medals for transwomen? need more medal diversity - followed by a decade of yelling for that
if that is somehow achieved, next subject of perceived oppression - another decade of screaming

society should just ignore these cretins or it will never end.

... This seems really low priority and the timing is bad to be discussing during a worldwide pandemic.

This jumped out at me.

There's always going to be something more important to discuss than whatever one wants. The door should have been shut on this conversation the second a dude wanted to compete with women, and the fact that legislation needs be passed to prevent such idiocy dictates it should be done. If there's any sanity left in the world her proposal should be a gimme, then everyone can move on.

We're not. It's two things:

1. You have people trying to rationalize their support for Gabbard by cherrypicking some actions and positions of hers to fit with their own self-conception.

I don't disagree with you on the ways that the right uses issues like this... but in do disagree on your suggestion that these things are insignificant.

If gender doesn't matter, how do we ever get to gender equality? It feels like a gigantic loophole through which women, again, are at risk of being pushed to the sidelines. Not just in sport, but also anywhere that proportional representation is a goal.

I'm not feeling much like it's my fight. I'm a straight white dude, so it really doesn't effect me. But I don't know if I'm ready to jump on women like Gabbard (who, as and Canadian, I honestly don't know that much about), or even Rowling, when they express concern that this could all go south for women.

Seems to me like a legit concern that is, at the very least, worthy of a open conversation where women feel free to voice their thoughts.

Edit: I'm also a little confused about the idea on the one hand that "most on the left object to the issue" while on the other hand everyone knows there's no way in hell this legislation passes. If the right and most of the left agree, what's happening here that is constantly moving the law in the opposite direction?

Last edited:
The whole "Transwomen shouldn't compete with women in sports" isn't an unpopular opinion IRL.
Even people who support Trans rights agree they shouldn't be in there.

Edit: I'm also a little confused about the idea on the one hand that "most on the left object to the issue" while on the other hand everyone knows there's no way in hell this legislation passes. If the right and most of the left agree, what's happening here that is constantly moving the law in the opposite direction?

Virtue signaling and tribalism in politics. Like how Obamacare was designed to be a moderate plan that would appeal to Republicans but even Romney voted against it.

I wish Tulsi got the nomination. That is one Democrat I would have voted for.

Your understanding is that there are transgirls on every girls sports team? I've never encountered one in my life or even heard of one in the same league.

???

No I'm not claiming there is 1 on every team. I'm claiming the rules allowing transgirls to compete against real girls is a concern to all parents who have daughters playing sports - you can't say it doesn't matter because there isnt 1 in your district and then expect all the issues to be settled when you play 1 from another district.

Coaches are going to give those title IX scholarships to the best player that they can put on the game. If that's a confused boy why would they give schollys to real girls?

Back