UFC 264 | Poirier vs McGregor

For me it's because Hu seems like one of the easiest fades in the roster and his opponent is just a small favorite. Lots of tossups on the card and Alen feels like easy money at a good price.

He's not though. He only spent time at Tiger Muay Thai to prep for the Coulter fight, and it didn't help him beat a bum. He's been at the UFC PI in Shanghai since. Not putting much stock in that.
To continue the unusual focus on these 2. Here is some footage of Hu training with the Leech. He looks sharp and in great shape.

https://youtube.com/shorts/_AlmawolUf8?feature=share

Wow, don't expect any combos, he doesn't even throw them in practice! Not a good sign against a low volume guy like Alen ...

It's the guy wearing the mitts that dictates what he wants the fighter to throw. Pretty silly comment to be blunt.

It's the guy wearing the mitts that dictates what he wants the fighter to throw. Pretty silly comment to be blunt.

Apologies, British sense of humour.

He's been out three years, I'm not really judging him on 30 seconds of mitt work ;)

I've gone Hardy over Tuivasa.

To me they are similar in a lot of ways.
Both strong, athletic, big punchers who transitioned from other sports.
I see Hardy as being stronger, more athletic and a bigger puncher with longer reach.
Tuivasa is probably the more technical puncher but I think it will come down to Hardy's reach vs Hardy's gas tank. That being said apart from the Sosoli fight, his gas tank is most at risk when he's forced to wrestle (see his loss vs Tybura). And Tuivasa has zero offensive capability in that department.

Aside from this fight I'm being a bit of a coward on this card to be honest.
I might throw a multi on Griffin, Price and Wonderboy purely based on reach alone

Re Hu, does no one worry that his cardio or chin might take a hit from his dropping down to middleweight?

Don't know about Omari, Tavares has just been so damn good against grinding wrestlers for me to give the guy with a suspect gas tank and no course of action besides winging haymakers and spamming takedowns much of a shot.

We might even get to see a late finish from Brad if the stars align just right like they did for his fight with Jotko. Think he's one of the safer picks of the card tbh, will play him on some parlays.

Sidenote: Wouldn't it be funny if the Hu/Alen fight gets pulled at the weigh-ins? After all the seemingly undeserved coverage it got here and it just doesn't happen lol.
Brad has good td defense , but has he ever faced a good wrestler before? He was taken down 3x against Elias , and Elias has no wrestling background. Against bjj guys he can stuff their attempts but will he be able to keep a dagastany wrestler off him? Even pressed against the cage he can lose a wall and stall tactic. Omari looked good in his last fight vs Breeze and prior to Chris weidman was held in good regard. Brad is a solid striker too but not a devastating finisher. This can easily be a controversial split win for either guy, its going to be a tentative fight, but Omari will only need to get a td each round and try to hold Brad down for 3 mins if he wants the nod. I can see this going either way.

I see Hardy as being stronger, more athletic and a bigger puncher with longer reach.
Tuivasa is probably the more technical puncher but I think it will come down to Hardy's reach vs Hardy's gas tank. That being said apart from the Sosoli fight, his gas tank is most at risk when he's forced to wrestle (see his loss vs Tybura). And Tuivasa has zero offensive capability in that department.

I might throw a multi on Griffin, Price and Wonderboy purely based on reach alone

Re Hu, does no one worry that his cardio or chin might take a hit from his dropping down to middleweight?
I like tuivasa dec +350. Enough to stake a little over a unit on it. Think that fight hits the cards and that it will be close

I'm not prebetting it but i'm with you. Easily pick Hardy in this spot. On rewatch of the Tybura fight, his standup has actually become quite impressive. Especially defensively. Don't see Tai dictating any of the exchanges when Hardy's footwork alone should control that aspect, and I don't think thats good for him

I like tuivasa dec +350. Enough to stake a little over a unit on it. Think that fight hits the cards and that it will be close

I like that. Neither guy has a good gas tank but the difference is that Tai still throws even when tired. Yeah his punches lose a lot of their snap but he still manages to throw something. Hardy has shown that his volume will drop off to almost nothing when he's really tired.

What's the craziest most unexpected thing to happen this weekend no one sees coming? O'Malley losing? Topuria being submitted? Zhumagulov losing outright?

I don’t think it’d really be a surprise for Hall to sub anyone on the planet.

Gordon Ryan I'd be shocked.
What about Mickey Gall?

Jp bro I agree i'd actually say that statement was too strong and with years out of BJJ comps theres prob a bunch of guys who could sub Hall. But for sure him subbing Topuria wouldn't be shocking

I like that. Neither guy has a good gas tank but the difference is that Tai still throws even when tired. Yeah his punches lose a lot of their snap but he still manages to throw something. Hardy has shown that his volume will drop off to almost nothing when he's really tired.
And they’ve both shown pretty good chins.

I also played starts rd 3 -135 and gtd +140

the over 1.5 at -200 isn’t worth the juice. It’s probably going to a decision if the under doesn’t hit

I'm not prebetting it but i'm with you. Easily pick Hardy in this spot. On rewatch of the Tybura fight, his standup has actually become quite impressive. Especially defensively. Don't see Tai dictating any of the exchanges when Hardy's footwork alone should control that aspect, and I don't think thats good for him

Agree, but does it worry you how much Hardy seems to slow down when he can't keep opponents at the range he prefers?

Agree, but does it worry you how much Hardy seems to slow down when he can't keep opponents at the range he prefers?
I think with the difference in footwork he can dictate the range and pace fairly easily if he stays disciplined. What worries me away from prebetting is him planting in the pocket and giving Tai a chance to hit him hard, and despite how vehemently hes been denying this, he kinda did just shell up and quit vs Tybura. If Tai can somehow put him in a tough spot like that, like have him backed against the cage and land 1 or 2 hard shots, I don't feel comfortable expecting Hardy to persevere through adversity

Last edited:
What about Mickey Gall?

Jp bro I agree i'd actually say that statement was too strong and with years out of BJJ comps theres prob a bunch of guys who could sub Hall. But for sure him subbing Topuria wouldn't be shocking

Ha noooooo more Mickey Gall talk!

But yeah Hall is obviously an elite bjj player and one of the better leglock guys on the planet. For sure he could catch Topuria. But I agree, there's likely plenty of guys who'd handle him on the mat these days.

Honestly I can see it happening. If he nearly lost to Souk from this he can lose to Moutinho

I like Sean O. His swagger and confidence is fun. Its also necessary I think to have high levels of self belief to succeed in the UFC. However, I think we have seen enough to know Sean is a bit of a glass cannon. I mean just look at his frame. He is a rail which works well but also doesn't offer much padding :)

Good thing I didn't rush out and bet on Aldana. Not sure about that pick anymore. She looks drained and missed weight significantly. Ouch.

Back