Using the president's name as a pun is apparently racist.

What does it supposed to mean if you're using the President's name in this regard?

I mean it is synonymous with beat, best, defeat, outdo etc so I makes perfect sense in that regard. But obviously the school is using it rather than "Beat Perry", "Defeat Perry", "Squash Perry", "Destroy Perry" with a purpose in mind.

"Just because the opposing school happens to be 75% Black" actually really matters here actually. Would they use this "pun" against another predominantly white school? Have they played other predominantly white schools and have used this? If not why not?

Is it a big deal. Nope. But the sign creator knew exactly what they were doing when they made it.
The sign creator was a Bernie fan that did not like Trump.

So you think it was a premeditated racist attack?

Who knows, but you'd have to be insanely obtuse to think that an all-white school making a banner with an American flag saying "Trump [insert black school]" wouldn't seem to be clearly signaling white nationalist sentiment.

You don't think this gives the impression that the white school is distinctly American, while the Trump'ed black school is less so? That it seems to play on Trump's distinctly white supremacist overtones?

Who knows, but you'd have to be insanely obtuse to think that an all-white school making a banner with an American flag saying "Trump [insert black school]" wouldn't seem to be clearly signaling white nationalist sentiment.

You don't think this gives the impression that the white school is distinctly American, while the Trump'ed black school is less so? That it seems to play on Trump's distinctly white supremacist overtones?

"Signaling white nationalist sentiment" "white supremacist overtones"

I don't know man. From my angle it looks like a lot of deep seated paranoia and insecurities that would cause people to perceive such a thing into such a narrative.

"But what if!"

Your entire argument is based on the notion that Trump is overtly white supremacist. He isn't. There's nothing offensive about this. Only in a culture that routinely rewards oversensitivity could this be deemed insulting beyond the normal bounds of sports rivalries.

Usually i can see the logic (however gymnastic i might be) behind even ridiculous claims of racism.
I cann't even see twisted sense behind this one.

I completely agree and yes there are people out there trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

But just a lil bit of self awareness goes a looooong way.

A teaspoons worth of common sense and self awareness and this story wouldnt have even happened.

Dude they're highschool kids. That's pretty mild.

This is what's wrong with America currently...soo many more things to be concerned about and we're focusing our headlines on a sign that says, "Trump Perry".

Dude they're highschool kids. That's pretty mild.

This is what's wrong with America currently...soo many more things to be concerned about and we're focusing our headlines on a sign that says, "Trump Perry".

I think it's the exact face he'd make.

Your entire argument is based on the notion that Trump is overtly white supremacist. He isn't. There's nothing offensive about this. Only in a culture that routinely rewards oversensitivity could this be deemed insulting beyond the normal bounds of sports rivalries.

This is incredibly disingenuous. There's no joke at all without the white supremacy angle, and everyone knows it.

R u being srs?

Yeah. The point of the comment is to use Trump as a kind of hammer against minorities. There's no joke otherwise. And we've seen that before--white kids using "Trump" to put down minorities.

Yeah. The point of the comment is to use Trump as a kind of hammer against minorities. There's no joke otherwise. And we've seen that before--white kids using "Trump" to put down minorities.
That seems absurd. The pun is legit.

What's the joke without the racial aspect?
The two candidate's names, using the name of one as its verb.
I would guess every State has at least one Perry. There's a Perry high in the mid Michigan area, this could be about them, and I wouldn't guess at racism in that circumstance.

The two candidate's names, using the name of one as its verb.
I would guess every State has at least one Perry. There's a Perry high in the mid Michigan area, this could be about them, and I wouldn't guess at racism in that circumstance.

You think it's a reference to the GOP primary?

That seems to be a much further stretch...

Apparently they were following a red, white, and blue theme.
The football team's Twitter account said each home game had a different theme, and this one was red white and blue. The word 'trump' was chosen for its double meaning, meaning "beat" as well as the name of the president.
It's still in bad taste, but the explanation seems plausible enough, especially as the interaction between the teams has been reported as cordial otherwise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltonmjr
Back