Whats the simplest, easiest takedown in real life?

I would imagine it would be the Royce Gracie / Gracie Combative rush in while blocking face Clinch and trip their leg while pushing and folding forward take down.

football tackle, aka double-leg takedown. anybody who tells you differently has a shitty double-leg.

I was messing around with some friends the other day (who don't train) as a joke, but while I was able to do single leg takedowns and double underhook sweeps, etc, I was still surprised by how hard it was for me to take down even untrained people. I just imagined if this was was a real fight, I would get my face smashed in before I can take them down, and in that case, what good is BJJ self defense?

whats the safest, easiest, and quickest way to take down the average joe on the street? Is it a single leg? double leg? get the double underhooks (assuming you can close the distance like that) and sweep them to their backs?

Sadly, we don't really train too many takedowns at my academy. We do, just like maybe one day a month or something like that.

On a side note, holy **** I was utterly surprised how easy it is to strangle people who don't train. This is something that while you hear others say, you dont really appreciate it until you actually roll with untrained people. Its obscenely easy, even against those who watch MMA and at least know basic BJJ setups, etc. We train day in and day out against other trained people that we forget how terrible we were before we started training.
Do whatever you train to do, but it always makes it better if you can grab their trachea and modify it into a choke slam. Or kick 'em in the balls and just push them over while there vomiting.
2cda3e87c8d45e18cc7e3e931c26a244.jpg

The thing is that when grappling the person will probably lower his hips and defensive grapple... bodylock trip is the best most safe way to take an untrained person down, but in order to hit this, you need to fake strikes other way the person is just going to push you off while your trying to clinch and stablish the bodylock, if your a judoka or wrestler with expernce it shouldn’t be that hard though.

Snapdowns work very well imo also

pick up and dump

Now of course wont look that easy. In MMA though I believe the most common successful takedown is pin them against cage, lift and dump.

You need to look at your skill set and realign your expectations, homeboy. If you have 1-2 years of BJJ, no wrestling, no hands, and no size or athleticism, then styling on people in fistfights is probably outside of your capabilities radius.

Try to look at Self-defense in terms of not getting K.O.'ed or sexually violated. The next time you're hanging with the boyzzz, ask them to throw you a beating or take your virginity. If you can stop them, you're learning something useful.

I know that's how I spend my Friday nights.

i think head outside single most people are gonna wrap around your body giving you it alot easier

I actually think its something like this once you're not shirtless on a beach in Rio myself.

Jerk them forward a little then drive their head over their back foot with your grip as you move into their space and the average person is falling. You may not even need do actually do a Kouchi Gari you can probably just run them over once you have them unbalanced.

This requieres a jacket, not very useful unless you live somewhere where is constantly cold as fuck. In my cou try we get at most 1 month of cold at year...

This requieres a jacket, not very useful unless you live somewhere where is constantly cold as fuck. In my cou try we get at most 1 month of cold at year...
Run for congress, and force everyone to wear jackets. Problem solved

We just got like three feet of snow over the weekend. It's weird for someone around me to NOT be wearing at least a sweatshirt for 10 months out of the year.

How about a hockey rag doll? Shake em bAck and forth and sweep the leg!

I think this is a wake up call for you to work on your stand up though. Not a bad idea since most randoms will basically just throw either haymakers or straight punches. A little footwork and head movement goes a long way against a noob. Plus, clinch work is big.

Gotta be complete homie. That's really what UFC eventually proved. Grappling is dominant, but not invincible. You gotta know the whole game.

But if you can't take them down and you don't know how to stand up, pull guard and sweep. Most guys don't know how to defend a good sweep.

Do you mean take down where you go down to the ground with opponent?

Or do you mean "takedown" where the opponent goes down and you remain standing?

Where I go down with them. I dont think I know any takedowns/throws strong enough to knock a person hard enough to stay down on their own...

Kinda depends on the size difference. If you are the same size or bigger, then you can pretty much do whatever takedown you use on the mats. If I'd want to take down some random untrained dude I'd probably just shoot in for a double, lift him up and either gently place him down in side control or slap him, depending on what he did. Regular people can't sprawl. Like, at all.

If they are big and lifting them isn't feasible then it's either gonna be arm drag to rear bear hug and trip or a single leg. You don't even need to know how to finish the single, lifting their leg will make them fall down 95% of the time cos most people aren't flexible enough to lift their leg above the waist.

Where I go down with them. I dont think I know any takedowns/throws strong enough to knock a person hard enough to stay down on their own...

Osoto Gari.

#FreeEinarr

Osoto Gari.
Are you trying to kill someone? Non-judo guys do not have reflex to tuck chin and this is too dangerous and hard to control.

I like this one better:

You can do sports version, and put them on their back, or you can throw on the head, or break their spine over your knee.

the you deserve to be choked by having horrible posture and not driving through with a double

It's an unfortunate fact of life that many BJJ gyms, much less any recreational grappling gyms, have good wrestling instructional. I can count on one hand the number of non-wrestling trained individuals I've seen in person shoot a double with good posture.

We just got like three feet of snow over the weekend. It's weird for someone around me to NOT be wearing at least a sweatshirt for 10 months out of the year.

sorry about that...

Back