When you get the cold or flu are your symptoms harsh or just mild?

My brother rarely gets sick but when he does he can deal with it, he just gets a runny nose and a slight sore throat but doesn't get the body aches,I on the other hand I get a super bad sore throat and aching muscles where I can barely move also with a fever and im knocked out in bed.

I got the flu two days ago because some idiot Cambodian guy was coughing in the buffet, there are some idiots who like to go to crowded places sick thinking that in order to get rid of the illness they must transfer it to someone else.

These idiots tick me off.

Luckily I dont have to work tonight or tomorrow so I have a chance to recover but I was stuck in bed the whole day, anyone know any good remedies for the flu? I'm using this Cepacol stuff it helps with the rawness from the sore throat.

right now im just gargling with warm salt water and drinking warm lemon and honey water, I don't have much appetite at all.
that is not a nice thing to say.

Reactions: lsa
The funny thing is I've never worked out a day in my life but ppl who do tend to get sick more often than me
It’s because when you work out intense your body is vulnerable during the recovery stage, your immune system is weakened for a brief time until you get sleep and nutrition to recover. It’s why people who do moderate exercise don’t usually get sick meaning brisk daily walks or some calisthenics, pick up basketball, punching the heavy bag, stuff like thst nothing to failure but to get blood flowing and cardio for heart . Firas zihabi spoke about not training to failure or overtraining because it weakens the immune system and doesn’t benefit a fighter.

There is a doctor from New Zealand that claims that vitamin D production starts on the exterior layer of skin and showering diminishes it's absorption. Others disagree.

I probably should have been taking it sooner. I had to quit drinking milk in my 40s as I could no longer digest it properly. I did spend a lot of time outdoors before I retired. I've always taken a multivitamin but that only had 400 iu of vitamin D.
I take a shower like an hour after working out in the sun, I’ll sit and eat my meal and enjoy the shade and shower, if I don’t shower I’ll get zits on my back lol,. You should take D3 with K2 it helps avoid calcium build up in the arteries.

Vitamin D3 ensures that calcium is absorbed easily and K2 (MK-7) activates the protein, osteocalcin, which integrates calcium into bone. Without D3 and K2, calcium cannot do its job effectively. Vitamin K2 (MK-7) activates matrix GLA protein (MGP) to bind excess calcium and promote arterial flow and flexibility

This is interesting in light of how the levels of vitamin D in the body seem to correlate with the severity of coronavirus from very early on. People with low levels of vitamin D seem to suffer more. There are finally some studies being done in the medical community.

Just as the pandemic started, George Mason college released a study on vitamin D levels in people in their athletic programs and finding low levels.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/03/200309110242.htm
Several similar studies have been done in the past at other places which also found low levels of vitamin D.

Cancer studies have been done that warned people to use sunscreen to avoid skin cancer. Since sunlight causes the skin to create vitamin D, sunscreen and less exposure to sunlight might lead to lower vitamin D levels. In the US, vitamin D has been added to milk since the 1930s in the US to reduce bone problems in children. Vitamin D is not added to ice cream or cheese. As people get older, they drink less milk so they get less of the vitamin D which may cause their bones to get brittle. As a population, we spend less time in the sun so we get less vitamin D from sun exposure.

Some medical professionals have advised taking vitamin D supplements since the pandemic started. The levels of vitamin D considered adequate in the past may not be. I have been taking Vitamin D since March.

I have my doubts that taking vitamin D alone will help with preventing flu/colds. I mention that as I used to visit a forum where everyone took vitamin D and measured their test results. It seemed most of them developed colds and the flu similar to others that don't take vitamin D.

Sun exposure creates several substances in the body. Vitamin D is one of the more famous substances. Another decently well known substance created in the body by sun exposure is nitric oxide. When reading about NO I've found writings mentioning that the substance is beneficial at strengthening the immune system helping to prevent colds and the flu.

What ever it is about sun light exposure that helps prevent infections, I'm pleased with the results I've had.

I have a wife and 3 kids in school and kindergarten, I also spend my days in classrooms surrounded by coughing students and much of my free time down the dojo fighting and wrestling sweaty guys.

So yeah, I get a lot of colds. Pneumonia last year was the worst I ever had and wiped me out for 20 days. Two years ago I went an entire flu season without getting sick though everyone around me was laid up several times. That was glorious.

This year, I've already had one cold and it seems my entire place of work is coughing and sneezing right now. I'm hoping the constant hand sanitizing and washing due to covid will limit the amount of colds I catch this year.

My colds/flu follow the same pattern every time. I feel a sore throat and know I have a day or two before I get my ass kicked. Then a runny nose will hit. The next day I will get knocked on my ass with a fever, chills, and body aches. The next day I start to feel better but sinus congestion and loss of taste and smell kick in. I will be congested for a few days but feel ok and it will take at least a week to get taste and smell back.

My colds/flu follow the same pattern every time. I feel a sore throat and know I have a day or two before I get my ass kicked. Then a runny nose will hit. The next day I will get knocked on my ass with a fever, chills, and body aches. The next day I start to feel better but sinus congestion and loss of taste and smell kick in. I will be congested for a few days but feel ok and it will take at least a week to get taste and smell back.
How often do you get sick? If you get the Flu and recover you are pretty much immune to that strain, and will have a stronger immune system as long as you eat and stay healthy, with colds they have so many strains or variations that you can get it often even back to back.

I have my doubts that taking vitamin D alone will help with preventing flu/colds. I mention that as I used to visit a forum where everyone took vitamin D and measured their test results. It seemed most of them developed colds and the flu similar to others that don't take vitamin D.

Sun exposure creates several substances in the body. Vitamin D is one of the more famous substances. Another decently well known substance created in the body by sun exposure is nitric oxide. When reading about NO I've found writings mentioning that the substance is beneficial at strengthening the immune system helping to prevent colds and the flu.

What ever it is about sun light exposure that helps prevent infections, I'm pleased with the results I've had.
I take it a couple of times a day and a massive booster every Tuesday. It may be because I was a smoker, but my levels considering I'm in CA were pretty bad. And considering we're not really out and about at the moment it isn't doing any harm

I take it a couple of times a day and a massive booster every Tuesday. It may be because I was a smoker, but my levels considering I'm in CA were pretty bad. And considering we're not really out and about at the moment it isn't doing any harm
Make sure you buy a Vit D3 with K2 (MK7) supplement now, not just a D3 standalone.

d-k2-diagram.jpg

Vitamin D and Vitamin K
Maintaining healthy bones is not just about increasing your calcium intake. Did you know that alongside calcium you should also look into vitamins D and K2?

Vitamin D3 and vitamin K2 ensure that calcium is absorbed easily and reaches the bone mass, while preventing arterial calcification. Helping to keep your heart and bones healthy.

Separately, K2 regulates normal blood clotting, whilst D3 supports a healthy immune system and supports muscle function.

D+K2 - Putting calcium in balance
For increased calcium into the bone

Vitamin D3 ensures that calcium is absorbed easily and K2 (MK-7) activates the protein, osteocalcin, which integrates calcium into bone. Without D3 and K2, calcium cannot do its job effectively.

For reduced calcium plaque in arteries

Vitamin K2 (MK-7) activates matrix GLA protein (MGP) to bind excess calcium and promote arterial flow and flexibility.

Make sure you buy a Vit D3 with K2 (MK7) supplement now, not just a D3 standalone.

d-k2-diagram.jpg

Vitamin D and Vitamin K
Maintaining healthy bones is not just about increasing your calcium intake. Did you know that alongside calcium you should also look into vitamins D and K2?

Vitamin D3 and vitamin K2 ensure that calcium is absorbed easily and reaches the bone mass, while preventing arterial calcification. Helping to keep your heart and bones healthy.

Separately, K2 regulates normal blood clotting, whilst D3 supports a healthy immune system and supports muscle function.

D+K2 - Putting calcium in balance
For increased calcium into the bone

Vitamin D3 ensures that calcium is absorbed easily and K2 (MK-7) activates the protein, osteocalcin, which integrates calcium into bone. Without D3 and K2, calcium cannot do its job effectively.

For reduced calcium plaque in arteries

Vitamin K2 (MK-7) activates matrix GLA protein (MGP) to bind excess calcium and promote arterial flow and flexibility.
I also take Berocca which I think covers the K as well. Kind of because I don't sleep too well and it gives me a boost and is tasty.
The Vitamin D is for my bones though, my medication can cause brittle bones but I haven't had any issues with that so far. Probably would have by now.
I don't think dosing up on any vitamin is a bad thing.

I also take Berocca which I think covers the K as well. Kind of because I don't sleep too well and it gives me a boost and is tasty.
The Vitamin D is for my bones though, my medication can cause brittle bones but I haven't had any issues with that so far. Probably would have by now.
I don't think dosing up on any vitamin is a bad thing.
Yeah you need the D3 with K2 to help with brittle bones, I learned about this from a female coworker she had her little supplement container and I asked her you popping pills in a joking way and she laughed and told me no these are just my essentials and she took fish oil, and other stuff but told me she takes d3 with K2 because the calcium will go to her bones and not her arteries. She was saying how women get brittle bones or susceptible to it, she started hitting the gym too. I remember telling her so that only for women she said no men should take d3 with K2 supp

I used to only take a standalone d3 now I take the one with K2. You don't want calcification of the arteries and also when women reach menopause and no longer have their period they are very susceptible to heart issues since they no longer have the benefit of blood thinning through menstrual cycle which helps them every month. Older women also have to avoid high iron once their period stops.

When I was younger I'd go down for a day or 2 but now the symptoms are milder but last longer. Could be because of flu shots but not sure.

Yeah you need the D3 with K2 to help with brittle bones, I learned about this from a female coworker she had her little supplement container and I asked her you popping pills in a joking way and she laughed and told me no these are just my essentials and she took fish oil, and other stuff but told me she takes d3 with K2 because the calcium will go to her bones and not her arteries. She was saying how women get brittle bones or susceptible to it, she started hitting the gym too. I remember telling her so that only for women she said no men should take d3 with K2 supp

I used to only take a standalone d3 now I take the one with K2. You don't want calcification of the arteries and also when women reach menopause and no longer have their period they are very susceptible to heart issues since they no longer have the benefit of blood thinning through menstrual cycle which helps them every month. Older women also have to avoid high iron once their period stops.
Calcification was what first kicked off the issues last year and why I had so many biopsies the little buggers.The medication has put me into menopause which is fun for other half because I'm all over the place and can't take HRT for it to level it out. Best thing that happened to us is me getting this job so we're out of each other's hair a bit and not nagging at each other.

Calcification was what first kicked off the issues last year and why I had so many biopsies the little buggers.The medication has put me into menopause which is fun for other half because I'm all over the place and can't take HRT for it to level it out. Best thing that happened to us is me getting this job so we're out of each other's hair a bit and not nagging at each other.
Women are tough, for real. Men don't have to go through the monthly bleeding or the crampings, and they dont have to give birth. and then the hormonal imbalances during menopause.

Women are tough, for real. Men don't have to go through the monthly bleeding or the crampings, and they dont have to give birth. and then the hormonal imbalances during menopause.
Yeah I really do not miss that. Every cloud, right?

How often do you get sick? If you get the Flu and recover you are pretty much immune to that strain, and will have a stronger immune system as long as you eat and stay healthy, with colds they have so many strains or variations that you can get it often even back to back.

Once or twice a year. Unfortunately, I've developed the tendency to get sinus infections. I've already had three this year. I may need surgery to correct it.

I have asthma that is completely under control now, but was bad when I was little. Colds and flus usually make me way sicker than a normal person. Once a few years back I basically sneezed out the nasal mucosa layer that is not supposed to come out lol.

Once or twice a year. Unfortunately, I've developed the tendency to get sinus infections. I've already had three this year. I may need surgery to correct it.
yeah I have the same sinus issues these masks make it worse, everytime I wear one it seems to give me cold like symptoms and that build up in the nostrils it sucks.

I have asthma that is completely under control now, but was bad when I was little. Colds and flus usually make me way sicker than a normal person. Once a few years back I basically sneezed out the nasal mucosa layer that is not supposed to come out lol.
Brother wtf? thats scary.

Brother wtf? thats scary.
That's what I said. Having something that texture coming put of my nose made me think I was dying. I was bedridden for about a week. Even my cat looked worried lol.

Back