Who had the luckiest win in UFC history?

Who had the luckiest win in UFC?

• Jones vs Smith; for Smith not taking the DQ win

• Belfort vs. Couture; for glove cutting eye

• Sterling vs. Yan; for DQ win

• Condit vs. McDonald; for early stoppage in a fight Condit was losing

• Mark Cole didn't have to fight finals to win belt

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've shown the MacDonald/Condit fight to many, many casuals and it never fails to get the "WTF?!" reaction when it ends.

Haha Bones/Smith is a good one. He can really count himself lucky Smith is in fact lionheart. Belfort/Couture is the definition of fluke win though.

And Condit/Rory wasn't early. Ref saved years off of Rorys life. There was 7 seconds left of the fight right? Condit would've absolutely smashed him to a draw. He wasn't losing.

Absolutely smashed him. I remember Greg Jackson between rounds getting pissed and saying "GO OUT THERE AND KICK HIS ASS!" and Condit just went out and did it. Totally turned it around.

Matt Hughes was choked unconscious, so he first lost the fight via technical submission. But he won the fight because he fell leaning forward and knocked out Carlos Newton. Still the weirdest finish for a title in UFC history.
I think in todays MMA it would get over ruled as a NC and rightly so.

As you say Hughes went out cold. At that point he lost but the ref was just at the wrong angle to see it.

Then as they hit the ground Carlos went out too. Double KO. No contest.

Or if anything Carlos gets the win, as you can argue nothing matters after Hughes blacks out first and thus loses the fight.

Do broken legs count from checked kicks? Some people would put Weidman or Dustin in there.
Conor breaking his leg kicking Dustin in the thigh was a complete fluke, but Dustin was a big favorite to win at the time (Conor's not exactly known for getting stronger after the first round) so it wasn't that lucky of a win even though the actual injury of a fighter breaking his leg on a kick landed to the thigh is extremely unlikely.

It's Serra over GSP.............I'm not sure anything else is even close. Anyone that was watching MMA back then literally thought it just a joke of a match more or less and the unthinkable happened. This was at a time matches/events had time to build up in the media. It wasn't UFC event after UFC event every week or two like it has been for years.

P.S.: If Chael could've hung in with Silva another 90 seconds that would be right there.

I’d say Matt Hamils win over Jones. I’m pretty sure the ref was yelling at Matt Hamill (deaf) asking him if was ok. Matt didn’t respond because he’s deaf. So they waived the fight off and DQ’d Jones for an illegal something or another.

Like…what? Still confuses me 15 something years later

12-6 elbows.

It's Serra over GSP.............I'm not sure anything else is even close. Anyone that was watching MMA back then literally thought it just a joke of a match more or less and the unthinkable happened. This was at a time matches/events had time to build up in the media. It wasn't UFC event after UFC event every week or two like it has been for years.

P.S.: If Chael could've hung in with Silva another 90 seconds that would be right there.

Pretty sure Serra meant to punch him the face.

Rowdy Randy Couture was very lucky that he got to pad his record against a guy who didn't train UFC in James Toney.

Belfort vs Couture was the only one that was pure happenstance, so it has to be that. Everything else had tangible factors involved (Yan's poor fight IQ, Ferrozzo's insufficient cardio in a one night tourney, etc.) that could reproduce the same result. That glove slice is a true rarity though, especially when you consider just how many punches have been thrown in MMA fights.

That one fight where the fighter got his toe caught in the cage.. pretty sure it was the ghost of ellenberger vs masvidal

Back