Who Has a A G Shock

this is my watch, and even though it's not the most popular or most expensive watch around, i fucking love it. even bought a second watch of the exact same kind, because my first one got a huge scratch on the face, and i was fucking pissed lol.

241444_ZM.jpg

this is my watch, and even though it's not the most popular or most expensive watch around, i fucking love it. even bought a second watch of the exact same kind, because my first one got a huge scratch on the face, and i was fucking pissed lol.

241444_ZM.jpg
If you take that to a competent watch repair shop they should be able to fit a sapphire crystal to the case, which will be far more scratch resistant than the mineral crystal that it comes with. Probably cost you in the $100 range and it'll make the watch much more durable.

What's the difference between a "dress watch" and a "casual watch?"

Is it just the wrist strap?
Dress watch: leather strap, clean dial, thin case, thin and elegant hands.

Sports watch: Bracelet, whatever you like on the dial, thin to beefy oversized cases, all kinds of hands, raised bezels.

If you take that to a competent watch repair shop they should be able to fit a sapphire crystal to the case, which will be far more scratch resistant than the mineral crystal that it comes with. Probably cost you in the $100 range and it'll make the watch much more durable.

interesting. thanks for that info!

Amazon?

I like the rangeman a lot but it’s just too chunky for my manlet wrist.
Yeah, Amazon'd that shit straight to Calgary in time for Christmas.

I love my Rangeman, it's beefy, but so are most G-Shocks. It wears smaller than it is.

In reality it matters on the watch.

If you're talking about a solid gold watch bought new or pretty much anything with diamonds or really most watches bought new - You're going to lose money no matter what and a lot of those watches with diamonds and shit are really hard to sell.

If its a Submariner or a Daytona or maybe even a Speedmaster, that is basically liquid money. You can walk into any watch shop or pawn shop and sell them immediately and depending on how you bought them you can definitely make money. The Sea-Dweller I have went up in value $1500+ the second I walked out of the shop with it. If I can get the dealer to sell me a new Daytona I'll make $4-5k off it. Obviously these values can change on a new watch, but something like a vintage sub or GMT will always go up in value.

On lots of this stuff if you buy it right you're either just holding the money in a piece of jewelry as long as you care to hold it and then you get it back, or you can make $. Sometimes you buy a watch wear it for a couple years and lose $500-1000.
Necro bump!

A little preface, because my affordable watch buying craze over the last 3 months, I've constantly had watches on the brain.

That said, while I'm not ready to take the step into the luxury watch market yet, I have thought about it a lot lately. The fact that my grail keeps changing is an indication, in my mind, that I'm not ready to take that step yet, but the focus has been narrowing and at this point, it keeps coming back to Rolex.

Thing is, I bought my $100, leather strapped Citizen solar quartz to have a dressier option than my tacticool G Shocks, but I don't love it and I'll probably end up giving it to my brother. For a while, I did lust after a Grand Seiko spring drive, but servicing seems to be the major pain-in-the-ass preventing it from being a grail; and I've decided I am only willing to own one luxury watch in my lifetime.

So I keep coming back to a steel Rolex. There will be more authorized dealers here and as far as I know, it will never have to leave the country for servicing, like the Grand Seiko might have to.

Necro bump!

A little preface, because my affordable watch buying craze over the last 3 months, I've constantly had watches on the brain.

That said, while I'm not ready to take the step into the luxury watch market yet, I have thought about it a lot lately. The fact that my grail keeps changing is an indication, in my mind, that I'm not ready to take that step yet, but the focus has been narrowing and at this point, it keeps coming back to Rolex.

Thing is, I bought my $100, leather strapped Citizen solar quartz to have a dressier option than my tacticool G Shocks, but I don't love it and I'll probably end up giving it to my brother. For a while, I did lust after a Grand Seiko spring drive, but servicing seems to be the major pain-in-the-ass preventing it from being a grail; and I've decided I am only willing to own one luxury watch in my lifetime.

So I keep coming back to a steel Rolex. There will be more authorized dealers here and as far as I know, it will never have to leave the country for servicing, like the Grand Seiko might have to.
Rolex has restricted the dissemination of their steel sports watches to authorized dealers since about October, so supply on that market is extremely thin. They do this on purpose. Grey market dealers have (new) watches if you want to pay over retail. For a watch like a Daytona, Submariner, Sea Dweller, or GMT that might be your only option.

The sweet spot with Rolex is to buy used. Even prices on the used market, especially for steel sports models, are also high right now because everyone is anticipating a price increase. They're anticipating it because it is going to happen, it hasn't happened in 5 years and the economy is good. They're going to raise prices and probably pretty soon.

So for example, if you were to buy a BLNR GMT now for 8,900 used (Current MSRP) it would be worth more when prices go up to 10,500.

You will never have to send a Rolex out-of-country (US) for servicing, and you should send in to Rolex in Dallas - Not NY.

Rolex has restricted the dissemination of their steel sports watches to authorized dealers since about October, so supply on that market is extremely thin. They do this on purpose. Grey market dealers have (new) watches if you want to pay over retail. For a watch like a Daytona, Submariner, Sea Dweller, or GMT that might be your only option.

The sweet spot with Rolex is to buy used. Even prices on the used market, especially for steel sports models, are also high right now because everyone is anticipating a price increase. They're anticipating it because it is going to happen, it hasn't happened in 5 years and the economy is good. They're going to raise prices and probably pretty soon.

So for example, if you were to buy a BLNR GMT now for 8,900 used (Current MSRP) it would be worth more when prices go up to 10,500.

You will never have to send a Rolex out-of-country (US) for servicing, and you should send in to Rolex in Dallas - Not NY.
I live in Canada, but I'm sure that's also the case here.

As for used or grey market, I don't know enough about them yet to take that kind of risk. Again, I'm not in a rush and in some ways, I'd prefer to tie that purchase to a milestone, to make it more meaningful. That said, that day may also never come, lol.

I live in Canada, but I'm sure that's also the case here.

As for used or grey market, I don't know enough about them yet to take that kind of risk. Again, I'm not in a rush and in some ways, I'd prefer to tie that purchase to a milestone, to make it more meaningful. That said, that day may also never come, lol.
Worldwide baby, worldwide.

Grey market is fine, just buy from a trusted seller. There are plenty. Bob's Watches is a good barometer on price, so is Chrono24. DavidSW is a top grey market retailer on the forums. These people aren't going to rip you off, they won't sell you a fake - It just may not be under full factory warranty. Some greys like DavidSW will include their warranty, and I've heard of grey watches being warrantied by Rolex no problem. Worst case scenario is that you'd have to pay for a service. That being said, I recently bought a Rolex that had a manufacturing defect and a loose sliver of metal on the dial. It had to be sent back to Rolex Dallas under warranty.

The rush is just that the prices on Rolex in particular, go up, not down. Other watches like some Omega stuff and Breitling will lose value over time, and new can be bought at deep discount. Not so with Rolex steel pieces.

Worldwide baby, worldwide.

Grey market is fine, just buy from a trusted seller. There are plenty. Bob's Watches is a good barometer on price, so is Chrono24. DavidSW is a top grey market retailer on the forums. These people aren't going to rip you off, they won't sell you a fake - It just may not be under full factory warranty. Some greys like DavidSW will include their warranty, and I've heard of grey watches being warrantied by Rolex no problem. Worst case scenario is that you'd have to pay for a service. That being said, I recently bought a Rolex that had a manufacturing defect and a loose sliver of metal on the dial. It had to be sent back to Rolex Dallas under warranty.

The rush is just that the prices on Rolex in particular, go up, not down. Other watches like some Omega stuff and Breitling will lose value over time, and new can be bought at deep discount. Not so with Rolex steel pieces.

If I'm going to spend in the low 5-figure range, I want a full factory warranty.

If there's any rush on my end, it stems from my current financial freedom/lack of responsibilities; I'm currently single, my rent is dirt cheap, I have the ability to make way more in OT than the vast majority of my colleagues or even some of their bosses. I can actually afford a GMT Master II right now, if I sacrifice some of one of my expendable savings accounts. What stops me is that it doesn't feel like a financially responsible decision to me and if I get it now, it may feel less significant because it isn't tied to some kind of milestone.

I think this just reinforces that I'm not ready, because I don't have a better reason than "I can afford it now and it might be more of a pain-in-the-ass later in my life". Maybe I'm just a casual watch guy.

That said, I have been looking at ETA-based GMT/dual timezone watches and I don't like any of them. I think I would regret getting one of those watches more than I would missing an opportunity to own a GMT Master II.

That said, sorry if I wasted your time.

I have several. Anybody bashing them has obviously never done anything serious in their basement dwelling life.

All over the world:
Military/police/rescue
Hikers/climbers

99% of them wear gshock 24/7/365 for years and years and rely on them when it matters. They are awesome watches.

If you want a watch to look pretty in your suit out to dinner they aren’t the choice, but if you need one to get you through harsh conditions in the hardest times, they will take care of you every time.

I have several. Anybody bashing them has obviously never done anything serious in their basement dwelling life.

All over the world:
Military/police/rescue
Hikers/climbers

99% of them wear gshock 24/7/365 for years and years and rely on them when it matters. They are awesome watches.

If you want a watch to look pretty in your suit out to dinner they aren’t the choice, but if you need one to get you through harsh conditions in the hardest times, they will take care of you every time.
G Shocks will always have a place in my heart (on my wrist and in my collection) because they're the watches that got me back into watches.

Unless you have a million in liquid assets you should not have 20k tied up in a fkn watch that doesn't do shit more than a 20$ watch.

Reeks of trying too hard.

I still have an old dive watch I bought in 96 when I was in 3rd Recon. After market dive band still holding strong. Cost around $100.

Reeks of trying too hard.

I still have an old dive watch I bought in 96 when I was in 3rd Recon. After market dive band still holding strong. Cost around $100.
People like what they like and while I love my G Shocks, as @VitorReem essentially said, they don't work with a suit.

If I'm going to spend in the low 5-figure range, I want a full factory warranty.

If there's any rush on my end, it stems from my current financial freedom/lack of responsibilities; I'm currently single, my rent is dirt cheap, I have the ability to make way more in OT than the vast majority of my colleagues or even some of their bosses. I can actually afford a GMT Master II right now, if I sacrifice some of one of my expendable savings accounts. What stops me is that it doesn't feel like a financially responsible decision to me and if I get it now, it may feel less significant because it isn't tied to some kind of milestone.

I think this just reinforces that I'm not ready, because I don't have a better reason than "I can afford it now and it might be more of a pain-in-the-ass later in my life". Maybe I'm just a casual watch guy.

That said, I have been looking at ETA-based GMT/dual timezone watches and I don't like any of them. I think I would regret getting one of those watches more than I would missing an opportunity to own a GMT Master II.

Not at all dude - And let me just say; You're not really missing that much. It's cool to hit the milestone and get there or whatever, but having owned two of these watches for a few years now I could really be just about as happy with a Seiko automatic. The bracelets on modern Rolex really are second to none, and the movements ARE super durable and accurate workhorses - But these are jewelry. A Seiko SKX009 would be just fine to wake up to every day, and at $200 - nothing to worry about and preoccupy you.

For me the cool thing about a watch is the journey you take with it, the times it reminds you of, the shit you take it thru. As long as it lasts thru those journeys it's good enough for me.

A few years ago I had the money put away and decided I was going to get a submariner. It had taken me a couple of years to save up the money for it but I had it. This wasn’t from any emergency savings or retirement accounts. It was literally cash I had put away specifically to blow on a watch. I went to an authorize dealer here with my wife, tried it on, was reaching for my wallet. But I just couldn’t fucking do it.

I have bad buyers remorse anyways. So dropping thousands of dollars on a Rolex probably would have killed me.

Not at all dude - And let me just say; You're not really missing that much. It's cool to hit the milestone and get there or whatever, but having owned two of these watches for a few years now I could really be just about as happy with a Seiko automatic. The bracelets on modern Rolex really are second to none, and the movements ARE super durable and accurate workhorses - But these are jewelry. A Seiko SKX009 would be just fine to wake up to every day, and at $200 - nothing to worry about and preoccupy you.

For me the cool thing about a watch is the journey you take with it, the times it reminds you of, the shit you take it thru. As long as it lasts thru those journeys it's good enough for me.
Yeah, that's the main thing; I currently have several, more than adequate, functional timepieces right now. I do like the idea of an heirloom piece but I also want the acquisition to feel special, not just a material heirloom but a sentimental one too.

Plus, I hate setting my Citizen to local time when I travel and I still want something dressier than a rubber-strapped, digital quartz watch, lol.

Back