Who is the Greatest Champ Champ in MMA History Across All Orgs ?

the “champ champ” criteria is kinda meaningless. strictly speaking, you can enter that conversation by winning only 2 fights, without regard to quality of the performances or the number of defenses, so what does it really prove? gsp is an all-time great fighter, but is his legacy really improved by the fact that dana gave him a fasttracked title shot against one of the weakest middleweight champions ever? in a way, that kind of hurts his legacy. and it’s great that cormier has defenses in both hw and lhw, but can you really say cormier is a better champ-champ than jones when jones beat cormier twice? that’s very counterintuitive and frankly silly.

so the question is basically “who is the best fighter” in that exclusive club, which inevitably focuses on the fighters’ accomplishments in their “main” weight class.

jones or gsp.

The goats are jones GSP and nunes..

But double champ imo belongs to either DC or Mcgregor… or both.. mcgregor was a much bigger deal though and the hype was insane
if the criteria is “who became double champ the fastest,” then mcgregor wins, as long as you count from the time he won his first title fight. otherwise, poatan has him beat. and aside from that, i can’t think of any real reason to rank mcgregor higher than anyone. hype has more to do with the audience and ufc than with the fighter.

Exactly. This ducking theory is getting ridiculous. DC would have never been the LHW champ if Jones was not missing in action.
Yes. And I like DC a lot but he couldn't beat Jones and basically admitted it in that Rogan interview. No shame in that though.
"Jones beat them all"

Meanwhile, Jones on fighting DC at HW:
"it would just make no sense to fight a guy who, I think, technically (is) on your level and to give him a size advantage. I’m not doing it. I’m sure my fans don’t like to hear me talk like that, but that’s just me being a realist

Jones admitting here that when he beat DC at LHW, he not only needed the steroid advantage, but also the weight advantage as well.
<WellThere>

Nunes’ run was pretty impressive. Cleaned out the BW division by beating all former BW champs… yes, WFW is ridiculously thin (can even say it’s non-existent), but Nunes demolished Cyborg at 145.. and even if the WFW was stacked, beating Cyborg would have been the pinnacle of 145 regardless…

Hard to beat Randy... Heavyweight Champ , Light Heavyweight Champ , Heavyweight Champ.... and pretty sure he had a successful defense for each.
Not for lhw, I don't think. He lost to Belfort, regained from Belfort, lost to chuck.

Gotta be something like this...

BJ Penn
Randy
GSP ..

Not sure but Hendo can be in there too..

But the Fact it was literally #1 LW in the world stopping the #1 WW in world to become a two division champ is pretty much top IMO...two of most talent rich divisions and BJ conquered both...

All i know for 1000% fact... it's not Conor fucking McGregor

Last edited:
Couture is the man.
Jones probably the best of them all.
But the right answer to the question would be Nunes.

Poatan is the coolest though.

GSP, only champ to have avenged all of his losses.

Jon still has the loss to Hamill he never avenged.

GOAT St Pierre bless

Well he obviously didn't want to jeopardize his legacy without enough money but I don't think Big Frank did either. That's why he opted for the big payday with Fury where even if he lost, it wouldn't be a loss. Personally I thought he won but I do think Jones has too many tools for him shame the UFC didn't pony up the money for the two of them. I still argue Jones beats any man on the planet.

Except Ngannou's decision to test free agency had nothing to do with Jones. He had spent the last 5 years in a shitty contract, being kept on the sidelines. He had made it clear for years he wanted to take a boxing fight and at age 35 the UFC wasn't willing to give him that. If he had signed a new contract he would have had to give up that dream forever.

Jones on the other hand wasn't willing to fight specifically because the opponent was Ngannou. He turned down 10 million, demanded "Deontay Wilder" money, and sat out for 2 years refusing to fight. The reality is when they were both under contract, Ngannou was the one willing to fight, and for less pay at that. While Jones was so afraid of losing he wouldn't even take the fight for more than he is making now.

Hendo beating Fedor automatically makes him champ champ
How do you become champ by beating someone who is not? lol Fedor had already lost to Werdum and Bigfoot Silva in back to back fights before he even fought Dan

The answer is actually BJ Penn and if you disagree, you are objectively wrong.

He was inarguably the number 1 LW at one point and when he beat Hughes, he was inarguably the number 1 WW.

Jones didn't beat the reigning, lineal HW champ. Randy was legit HW champ but was never the proven 'man' at LHW because top talent was split with Pride - as proven when Rampage defeated Chuck (who beat Randy). Hendo lost both of his UFC 'unification' fights at LHW and MW proving he wasn't number 1.

GSP cherry picked a one-eyed man who nobody believes was actually the best MW and then ducked Whittaker. Alex is only a semi-legit champ, as the UFC has navigated him away from grapplers and he won the LHW belt that was vacant. The LHW belt is a joke, with multiple champs vacating.

Shillmier has always lived in Jones' shadow. Cejudo lost the DJ fight and then beat a random guy for the vacant title who would then go on an epic losing streak. He only defended a washed up old man in Cruz who had no business getting a title shot in the first place.

The other guys fight in bum leagues and aren't worth mentioning.

Strange to think old mate Tippy Toes was the most legit double champ. But life is strange. Only guy to ever be clear cut the best in two divisions.
BJ Penn is the most overrated figher ever considered a "GOAT". He had a few vintage performances that are deserving of respect (Sherk, Gomi, Hughes 1, his "loss" to GSP which may have actually been a win), but after 2004 he practically alternate wins/losses for the rest of his career. The caliber of guys he was beating were either journeymen/gatekeepers (Sanchez, Stevenson Florian) or wayyyyyyyy past their primes (Hughes 2 win, Pulver, Renzo).
Was he a good fighter? Yes. A great fighter? Probably. Was he a super effective, GOAT candidate? No.
Penn nuthuggers cling to this idea that he was something special, just because he had some great highlights, and insane dexterity. The truth is, even if you don't count his sad losing streak at the end, he still would have wound up 16-7.
Those are the facts.

BJ Penn, Dan Henderson, Randy Couture are probably top 3 ATG open weight fighters from that list, for all the times they fought guys bigger than them.

Back