Who is your pick for ‘best that never was’?

For Pride, I’d say Ninja Rua. For one brief moment, he looked like he was going somewhere.

That fight with Henderson (which I thought he probably deserved to win) really took something out of him. He was never really the same after that.

I thought Diego Sanchez would’ve had a better career too. He was really good early in his career, till he killed himself cutting down to lightweight. That killed his days as as a true top fighter.

Machida. Not that he isn’t great, but he could’ve became the greatest.
Machida did as good as he was ever gonna do. He was blessed to have the success he did. That wide karate stance just doesn’t work in a sport where your opponent can kick your your legs.

You can’t put that much weight on your lead leg in this sport. It’s the same thing Conor is starting to learn. When guys figure you out, if you can’t adjust, you’re done. It’s why Faber was never the same fighter after Aldo.

So, you think when Barnett was fighting it wasn't epidemic because if not Vitor and Kerr would like a word with you.

No, the fact that he failed when they were obviously juicing makes him look stupid.

Cain was the name that popped up for me.

The mexican Fedor.

Dude lost so much time with the JDS, Bigfoot, JDS, Bigfoot, JDS and all the injuries.

Really though he would rule HW for a long time.

Aleks was always a weird one to me. He seemed to be a born fighter like Fedor but never got his shit together.
Yeah Aleks had all the physical tools and aggression, but he lacked fedor's focus.

But then I guess you could say that about a lot of guys.

Josh Thomson, Dennis Bermudez, Gray Maynard, Minakov, Ricardo Arona, Mitsuhiro Ishida, Alexander Emelianenko, Kevin Lee, Jake Ellenberger.

People saying Cain are ridiculous. He was world champion and defended. Sure he didn't live up to his potential, but he achieved the belt. Barnett could have had a better career, but he was an incorrigible cheater.

Who was the person you looked at in terms of pure talent and ability and thought ‘they will achieve greatness’ who, for whatever reason, didn’t get there?

I’m taking people who you still feel annoyed we’ll never see what they could have done.

(I’m personally going for Velasquez - I know he was champ but I remember watching him in his prime and being sure he’d be HW GOAT, stolen by injury etc and now a bit forgotten outside serious fans)
Zabit. In terms of pure technique and technicality, maybe the most skilled fighter ever. Hope he is doing well with his health now.

Masvidal is my fav active fighter, been riding with him since shark fights against Paul Daley, I really hope he gets the belt before he retires.
It's still very possible for him. He was close to the belt just fell short on the attempt. With a new opponent as champion or a drop in weight class it's still possible for him. Of course if he just stops all title aspirations then it's over for him.

Look at Aldo, he reinvented himself in another weight class when everyone counted him out, and he's currently trying to chase another title shot.

Lyoto Machida. When he won the championship, Joe Rogan said "Welcome to the Machida era!" His era lasted 2 fights, a draw to Shogun and a 1 rd. KO to Shogun. He had a nice career, but many expected much more.

No, the fact that he failed when they were obviously juicing makes him look stupid.

It does but he wasn't any dirtier than them. He probably got pinched for having a big mouth and switch orgs.

Future GOAT!!! (Still young though!!!)

i

Aleks was always a weird one to me. He seemed to be a born fighter like Fedor but never got his shit together.

Josh Barnett is mine. The guy was legit good but never really got to the top. Some of it I think was politics.
Josh got to the top and pissed hot then wasted year s of his prime pro wrestling and fighting in Pancras, if he jumped straight to Pride after leaving the UFC he'd be on par with Big Nog and CRO Cop

Always thought Struve could have been much better. He was almost 7 feet but fought like he’s was 5’10.
always so awkward to watch unless he won which still didn't completely eliminate the awkwardness of what you just watched.

Yeah Aleks had all the physical tools and aggression, but he lacked fedor's focus.

But then I guess you could say that about a lot of guys.
but he did have the advantage of blood borne illnesses.

Lyoto Machida. When he won the championship, Joe Rogan said "Welcome to the Machida era!" His era lasted 2 fights, a draw to Shogun and a 1 rd. KO to Shogun. He had a nice career, but many expected much more.
wasn't a draw but yeah, really hilarious how short that 'era' was...

My Pick(s)? Johnny Hendricks if he'd won the belt against GSP that night and for whatever reason I thought Murillo Bustamante was great and that he got screwed on a couple decisions.

Back