Who's the Michael Jordan equivalent of boxing?

what i'm saying even though these dodos here don't get it, is that media has changed so it's hard to compare. how you gonna compare eras when they hardly could film or they only had it on chanell four or whatever with eras where you have youtube, big business promoting you etc.., Put Jordan in the 20's through the sixties and he woulda been no more popular than wilt or russell who were known to us but no one else and they couldn't get selling contracts because even Ali couldn't get much in the late 70's because as his reps tell the story "we don't want black people in our stores". Jordan/Tiger owe a debt to all the great black athletes that came before them but they'll never admit it.

Edit: just kidding rubberneck.
And as for you captain rubbernekc, you really got me pissed, yes post more you big baby. fuck you, fuck sherdog fuck jordan, fuck the lot of ya.
[/QUOTE]
giphy.gif

Ummm did you read the post, sucka? That's exactly what I did...

Just take another shot of what you're drinking...take the L and move on.[/QUOTE]
i'm not reading anymore of your bullshit, never ever again

I don't think there is an equivalent. That man transcended his sport. I don't know any boxer that did that to the extent he did. Maybe Ali, but that's debatable.

He's worth over a billion dollars. Not even Floyd is on his level money wise. Granted he has about 15 years on Floyd, but MJ got his wealth outside of playing basketball. Put his name on a product and it sells. Can we say the same for Mayweather? His fights sell, but I don't think he is branded like Jordan. I don't know if he'll catch up outside of fighting. Both rich however, so I can't hate. lol

As far as dominance? Jordan played everybody: Thomas, Drexler, Bird, Shaq, Kobe, Miller, Barkley, Malone, Ewing, Johnson. It is debated whether or not Floyd timed his fights when they were best for him. De La Hoya, and Mosley I believe were over the hill of their careers. The Pacquiao fight took forever.

I don't know, I think it's a tough one to put a boxer on Jordan level overall.
Ali is bigger on the world stage. Basketball isnt as popular across the world as people think. Ali transcended all sports, hes been out of action far longer than Jordan but still gets talked about as much. The media wasnt near as big if a factor back then as it is today either but Ali still became bigger than life all over the world because he actually went to countries across the world, walked and talked with the people first hand. Those legends about the times Ali was in those countries walking with the people are still being passed down.

ahh you big baby, now you want links? keep looking and don't look at sports specific, look at FAME sucker.

QUOTE="nastyleft, post: 145554193, member: 442381"]OK, so now we're using online lists? Least you could do is post the links.
I kept my search specific with, "recognizable, famous and iconic" athlete, since that's the conversation, NOT best athlete (even though Jordan runs the table on those lists at #1).

https://list25.com/25-most-iconic-athletes-in-the-history-of-sports/5/

Most Iconic in the History of Sports
#16 Ali
#1 Michael Jordan

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-most-recognizable-athletes-in-sports-history
5 most Recognizable Athletes in Sports History
#3 Ali
#2 Jordan

https://www.draftkings.com/playbook/news/honor-ali-10-iconic-athletes-ever
10 Iconic Athletes Ever
#2 Ali
#1 Jordan

Should we continue?
[/QUOTE]
Youre using online polls to gauge this? Do you not realise that the number of people who arent participating in these online polls far exceeds those that are? Ali is the bigger name on the world stage.

I think Aleksandr Usyk will become the MJ of boxing soon. Can’t see him losing, and I’d say he surpasses Mayweather it he become unified HW champ and retires undefeated.

Right now though it’s Mayweather

Ali is bigger on the world stage. Basketball isnt as popular across the world as people think. Ali transcended all sports, hes been out of action far longer than Jordan but still gets talked about as much. The media wasnt near as big if a factor back then as it is today either but Ali still became bigger than life all over the world because he actually went to countries across the world, walked and talked with the people first hand. Those legends about the times Ali was in those countries walking with the people are still being passed down.

I can agree with that. The media wasn't as big, no. However, Ali was a huge figure in the Civil Rights Era. This accompanied with his "fight against the man" if you will involving his Vietnam draft brought him a lot of attention. Nelson Mandela praised Ali, and he was very much so involved with the people of Africa. Talk about an endorsement. He transcended because he lived in a time that gave you a lot of opportunity to champion a cause. He was a role model for many disenfranchised, often victimized people.

Jordan did not have such a cause which everyone was so involved in that he could champion if he wanted to. Surely not on the level of the Civil Rights Era. I don't know if he would if he had the opportunity because that would be speculation. However, his appeal was largely because he was a voice of the people at the right time. Colin Kaepernick is one of the most talked about and wide known football players, and he isn't even on the field. This is my take.

I don't know, didn't you say something about Ali not being popular in africa? Ali was a world figure, he was famous in africa by 65, they say that on a trip there, he was stupefied by how much the people would know him and call his name and it's really when his consciousness went to another level. Whether he's still known in the recent times I don't know, but I always ask people from other countries if they know some of the american cultural icons, Michael Jackson is of course as universal as they get, Ali always gets a yes, I never ask about michael jordan but I would expect that some of the paki's and hindi's wouldn't have a clue and neither would a lot of the asians, I've never asked.
Jordan is very big in Asia.
Watch wear the Asians shop at when the visit America.
They go right to the Nike store to get Jordans. I've seen them do it.

I have always put Ali and Jordan at the same spot of being the universal biggest athletes in the world.
When Jordan dies it will be the same as Ali. Difference between the two is that Ali was more of a political social influence where Jordan was strictly recognized for his basketball skill and style. Jordan also plays 82 games a year, where as Ali was fighting a couple times a year. So you got to see alot of Jordan where you had to wait every 4-6months to watch an Ali fight.

Michael Jackson is without a doubt the biggest person on the planet of all time only behind Jesus

I don't think there are none, but there aren't many. Really I can only think of Wayne Gretzky and Tiger Woods. I'm open to hear more if you know more, but I can't think of a Baseball, Football, Soccer, etc. player that transcended their respective sports in the way they did.
Football and Baseball have too many positions that its hard to have that one guy.
Baseball did have Babe Ruth tho.

Football and Baseball have too many positions that its hard to have that one guy.
Baseball did have Babe Ruth tho.

I have trouble believing many people would know Babe Ruth's name outside of the Americas and hardcore East Asian fans. I heard more about Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig, Honus Wagner, Willie Mays, etc. when I was coming up, but my family is full of Baseball fans (and I don't really follow the sport myself), so my perspective is probably off.

I have trouble believing many people would know Babe Ruth's name outside of the Americas and hardcore East Asian fans. I heard more about Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig, Honus Wagner, Willie Mays, etc. when I was coming up, but my family is full of Baseball fans (and I don't really follow the sport myself), so my perspective is probably off.
Alot of people know who Babe Ruth is.

I'm sure there are places in asia he's well known, but asia has a lot of countries and cultures, it's not just china and japan.

There are plenty of other MJ's. Wayne Gretsky is one of them.

In boxing, those mentioned are in the mix and if Loma can do it for another 5 to 10 years.

Lomachenko? Hells no.
Floyd never lost in his prime like Jordan never lost a finals

People are missing the point for analytics. Some here are justifying popularity.

By metric stats, even Rigo came second to Floyd’s punch stats. Legacy wise, Floyd’s done it all, beat 19 Champions.

When Jordan came back to the second phase he was a different animal, more conservative with incredible perimeter shooting to continue three new rings in a row and the first team to do 72-10 the YeAR He Returned!! The Bulls were a sick ass Team, ahead of their team, prime Phil Jackson too.

For me, the only boxer to come back in sick glorious comparison was his win coming back to SCHOOL Marquez... everything after that was cakewalk for Floyd.

Telling y’all, Floyd and MJ were icons in competitive sport.

And to be more consistent. MJ was the richest Basketball Player to ever to do it. Mayweather, aside from De La Hoya, P4P PPV, Floyd is king for commercial buyers. I don’t know why people hate those facts. It is what it is.

Back