Why do American crowds always boo Aljo?

<bball2>
When you're a black MMA fighter let alone champion, you have less room for error in order to be a draw because let's be real: the target demographic (white Caucasian males, typically conservative) wants their black fighters to either act stereotypical for entertainment purposes (like Rampage) or to be a pro-USA/indifferent hard worker who keeps their mouth shut and just takes fights (like Kevin Holland). Any deviation from these two, and most typical MMA fans will turn on you in heartbeat as soon as you make a polarizing move. I'm black myself, and have always noticed this.

Starting from FLW up, Demetrius Johnson was in an unpopular division and never got a UFC promotional push he deserved then got traded, BW champ Aljamain Sterling won the belt by DQ and arguably point fought his first defense, FW & LW have no real black contenders/draws excluding maybe Jalin Turner & AJ McKee in Bellator, WW Usman was pretty dominant and was starting to become popular but got KO'd by Leon Edwards for the strap in which he is typically in somewhat boring decisions and doesnt have much personality, MW has Adesanya who's progressive views, cockiness, weirdness, and current string of lackluster fights have turned fans against him, LHW had the notorious GOAT contender in Jones who has a plethora of reasons for someone to dislike him that is too numerous to even attempt to explain, and lastly I'd say Ngannou's push for fighter pay and holdout soured a lot of fans image of him , especially the Dana dickriders. You also have Derrick Lewis and Curtis Blaydes, but Lewis acts really stereotypical (and most MMA fans love it, of course) and Blaydes is a high level HW gatekeeper but is just not a draw especially with his tendency to wrestle opponents to high hell for occasionally boring fights.

There are a few outliers, but a lot like the country itself in the USA, American MMA fans will only support certain types of African American men, usually the ones who are either their vision of how a black men "usually" acts or should act in their eyes, or the ones who just shut up and put in work, this sentiment is not too different than the country itself. Talented outspoken leftist black fighters like Kevin Lee with losing streaks are often shown the door more often than not, while you have America stanning MAGA white Colby Covington headlining PPVs when I can count maybe 3 entertaining fights he's been apart of, and right wing politics dominated the spectacle more than the fights themselves. Dana White privelege is real, and Dana ain't the only one who supplies it. Kind of makes me sick, to be honest.

Bingo. Just like religion and many other things, you don't have to stan or love something just because it's all the rage in you country. Wish more people realized this....

Edit: this is pretty controversial and will attract some haters, so I expect it to be deleted. But alas, I said what I said...

This thread went off the rails quickly. But the real reason is many mma fans think fighters need to just shrug off rule breaking to fit their “badass” standard they’d never follow themselves. Also victim blaming is pretty common in many things beyond fighting but plays a role here as well.
Which is funny because everyone said Smith should have faked being hurt against Jones so he could win the belt

I personally like the guy, but the way he won against Yan didn't win him any fans. He literally fought in the safest manner possible and never was close to finishing or really doing any damage to Yan.

Because he pretend tot be champ after "winning" the title against Yan
This is why, but it kinda sucks. Aljo didn't want that result, and he got a lot of shit for an outcome he didn't control. Totally unfair AND he received a neck injury due (in part at least) to Yan's inexplicable illegal blow. Aljo def sucked in that fight, and that is the ONLY thing people remember about that fight.

There are certain camps i will never root for regardless of who fights for them. Longo Serra is one of them

I personally like the guy, but the way he won against Yan didn't win him any fans. He literally fought in the safest manner possible and never was close to finishing or really doing any damage to Yan.

He's a submission grappler as a base and has some spectacular subs on his resume. That is how he got to the top in the first place.

Its like being mad at Yan for kickboxing as his primary weapon.

Nobody wants to get their back taken and get dominated on the mat. Yan was absolutely in trouble. He also got tagged with good ground and pound.

he’s a clown, he is boring, cheated by feigning injury to win a belt, and now he has fans who play the race card to force you to compliment him. he’s always going to be booed, as he should be.

While I think the race card gets played a bit too freely a lot of the time, I think its pretty apparent that black fighters often do get held to a different standard. They dont get as much leeway.

When you're a black MMA fighter let alone champion, you have less room for error in order to be a draw because let's be real: the target demographic (white Caucasian males, typically conservative) wants their black fighters to either act stereotypical for entertainment purposes (like Rampage) or to be a pro-USA/indifferent hard worker who keeps their mouth shut and just takes fights (like Kevin Holland). Any deviation from these two, and most typical MMA fans will turn on you in heartbeat as soon as you make a polarizing move. I'm black myself, and have always noticed this.

Starting from FLW up, Demetrius Johnson was in an unpopular division and never got a UFC promotional push he deserved then got traded, BW champ Aljamain Sterling won the belt by DQ and arguably point fought his first defense, FW & LW have no real black contenders/draws excluding maybe Jalin Turner & AJ McKee in Bellator, WW Usman was pretty dominant and was starting to become popular but got KO'd by Leon Edwards for the strap in which he is typically in somewhat boring decisions and doesnt have much personality, MW has Adesanya who's progressive views, cockiness, weirdness, and current string of lackluster fights have turned fans against him, LHW had the notorious GOAT contender in Jones who has a plethora of reasons for someone to dislike him that is too numerous to even attempt to explain, and lastly I'd say Ngannou's push for fighter pay and holdout soured a lot of fans image of him , especially the Dana dickriders. You also have Derrick Lewis and Curtis Blaydes, but Lewis acts really stereotypical (and most MMA fans love it, of course) and Blaydes is a high level HW gatekeeper but is just not a draw especially with his tendency to wrestle opponents to high hell for occasionally boring fights.

There are a few outliers, but a lot like the country itself in the USA, American MMA fans will only support certain types of African American men, usually the ones who are either their vision of how a black men "usually" acts or should act in their eyes, or the ones who just shut up and put in work, this sentiment is not too different than the country itself. Talented outspoken leftist black fighters like Kevin Lee with losing streaks are often shown the door more often than not, while you have America stanning MAGA white Colby Covington headlining PPVs when I can count maybe 3 entertaining fights he's been apart of, and right wing politics dominated the spectacle more than the fights themselves. Dana White privelege is real, and Dana ain't the only one who supplies it. Kind of makes me sick, to be honest.

Bingo. Just like religion and many other things, you don't have to stan or love something just because it's all the rage in you country. Wish more people realized this....

Edit: this is pretty controversial and will attract some haters, so I expect it to be deleted. But alas, I said what I said...

I think most fans supported Silva against Sonnen, based of their characters and the way they both carried themselves...
Was it not?

This thread went off the rails quickly. But the real reason is many mma fans think fighters need to just shrug off rule breaking to fit their “badass” standard they’d never follow themselves. Also victim blaming is pretty common in many things beyond fighting but plays a role here as well.
Lol ur dumb

Plus, they put green olives in a jar where you can see them but they put black olives in a can. Just like they did Tyron Woodley.

I don't really get cheering for someone just because they're from your country to begin with, I don't care if the guy went to the same school as me, or born on the same street

Back