Why I Quit BJJ

Preface: I've been training MA for over 10 years. I started BJJ in 2004. I've done and seen a lot.

I can't stand the people who train BJJ. I don't have an IQ under 40, I don't have tattoos, I don't act like a wannabe tough guy, I don't wear tapout or any aggressive looking shirts, I don't say 'Bro' every other word. When I go to a BJJ class pretty much everyone ignores me. I don't look or act like them, so I'm an afterthought. When we get to rolling and they get dominated I am all of a sudden their 'Bro'. Superficial nitwits. After they realize I am good they ask me when I want to fight. I tell them I have no intention of doing MMA or grappling tournaments. They get a puzzled look on their face and walk away. I overhear them talking about MMA. "BRO! Grey Maynard has some SERIOUS hands! BRO, look out for him!". One of them says to me "BRO, did you see TJ Grant's fight?" "No, I didn't" "BRO, he can throw DOWN". Such cheesy and exaggerated commentary from fools who have never heard of Kazushi Sakuraba.

I've quit BJJ because I can't stand the morons who train it. This type of idiot doesn't do Judo or other Martial Arts. If I can't have fun with my training partners the training itself is no longer appealing.

Er . . . you described exactly one guy from my gym, and he left. I think the fact that you've gone to four different schools just means you went to the wrong four, or you didn't really try to find the guys with whom you have more in common. Stupidity tends to be very vocal.

I've ran into some of those types in my gym. Luckily there's just a few left since they tend to quit pretty fast. The vast majority are just normal sensible people.

By "those types," do you mean meatheads, or TS?

i can understand TS's point of view. Every school has at least one of these guys, the ones that talk about ufc really loudly on the sidelines, taking breaks instead of training. They're very annoying. Or the guys who when you line up for king of the hill drills start asking you whos going to win the big fight on saturday, while youre trying to figure out what techniques you want to work on when its your turn.

EVERYTIME BJJ PEOPLE WANT TO HAVE A GOOD TIME, IGNORANT ASS BROS FUCK IT UP.

i can understand TS's point of view. Every school has at least one of these guys, the ones that talk about ufc really loudly on the sidelines, taking breaks instead of training. They're very annoying. Or the guys who when you line up for king of the hill drills start asking you whos going to win the big fight on saturday, while youre trying to figure out what techniques you want to work on when its your turn.

EVERYTIME BJJ PEOPLE WANT TO HAVE A GOOD TIME, IGNORANT ASS BROS FUCK IT UP.

I've trained with just a couple of cookie-cutter Tapout douches, and I've gotta say . . . they DID have a damn good work ethic.

You actually quit BJJ because of a couple of dudes who talk about Gray Maynard? Idiot...

I've quit BJJ because I can't stand the morons who train it. This type of idiot doesn't do Judo or other Martial Arts. If I can't have fun with my training partners the training itself is no longer appealing.

You sound like you went to an awful school. You also sound like an elitist putz. It seems both sides will benefit from you not being there.

Preface: I've been training MA for over 10 years. I started BJJ in 2004. I've done and seen a lot.

I can't stand the people who train BJJ. I don't have an IQ under 40, I don't have tattoos, I don't act like a wannabe tough guy, I don't wear tapout or any aggressive looking shirts, I don't say 'Bro' every other word. When I go to a BJJ class pretty much everyone ignores me. I don't look or act like them, so I'm an afterthought. When we get to rolling and they get dominated I am all of a sudden their 'Bro'. Superficial nitwits. After they realize I am good they ask me when I want to fight. I tell them I have no intention of doing MMA or grappling tournaments. They get a puzzled look on their face and walk away. I overhear them talking about MMA. "BRO! Grey Maynard has some SERIOUS hands! BRO, look out for him!". One of them says to me "BRO, did you see TJ Grant's fight?" "No, I didn't" "BRO, he can throw DOWN". Such cheesy and exaggerated commentary from fools who have never heard of Kazushi Sakuraba.

So, you quit BJJ due to personality conflicts with others? Sounds like you can't see the forest for the trees. Just so you know I have been training for quite some time. I am not sure of my IQ; however I recieved my undergraduate degree from a top 50 U.S. college. I have earned two master degrees; one being from a top 25 university in the Midwest. So I suppose I am at least of average intelligence. I don't use bro often. I have no interest in fighting MMA. I have a few tattoos but you will never know unless you see me shirtless. My gym has quite a few MMA fighters and those that use bro every other word. We have some stinky guys, meatheads, etc... But you know what everyone generally gets along because we accept each other and the differences that set us apart. You would have probably been more accepted if you weren't a pompous dick. Get off of your high horse. Everyone does not have the same reason for training, nor should they. You sound like the type to hang out with TMA elitists and purists. On behalf of all of those with IQs under 40 that train. Fuck you, Bro!!! How do you like them apples?

Last edited:

Bro! change schools Bro, and do it fast Bro.
try to find one who is pure BJJ oriented rather than a setup for MMA, BRO

Honestly, some of the nicest people I've trained with in LA train at the Tapout gym downtown. It really changed my opinion of them for the better... I still don't really like their clothing designs, but there are many good guys and girls who rep them too.

Ironically, my early experience with Judo was also negative. A lot of good guys in the sport, but there are a lot of one-dimensional arrogant asswipes too. In fact, that negative experience is a big reason I've been a brown belt for so long... However, I don't put all of judo into one stereotype. There are many good guys in the sport. Kano is a hero of mine too. I wish the OP would do the same with BJJ.

I wasn't in BJJ as long as the OP, but I had similar annoyances (I only made it to blue belt). I trained at 2 different schools in my area, and both thought that BJJ was the end-all-be-all of MAs. I experienced this attitude the most in BJJ, but I've also wrestled and am currently in Judo.

In wrestling (folk) and Judo, my teams were more cool with outside styles and recognized the merit in others, especially between Judo and wrestling. In BJJ, my experience has been shit wrestling (specifically shots and clinch work) and shit judo, with the advanced submission game of BJJ. The BJJ guys also thought that in gym wins were equivalent to competition wins and it was a lot of stupidity.

I remember a couple of instances at one of the gyms where I got very frustrated/annoyed with this approach and rolled with one of the new purples. Instead of trying to work BJJ, I threw him and pinned him. Held him for the entire 2 minute roll. Afterwards, the guy through a fit about not following rules, stalling, and not working for a sub. I said that I was trying to show hi other styles had merits, too. Point was ignored and I ultimately got fed up with it and became a full-time Judoka, I just have to make it a point to work my ground game 3-4 times a week in a 6 day a week, 8 sessions per week schedule.

I don't miss BJJ at all.

Good luck with the rest of your martial arts training dude. Whatever you decide to do

Bro! change schools Bro, and do it fast Bro.
try to find one who is pure BJJ oriented rather than a setup for MMA, BRO

Let Em Bang Bro !!!

TUF_Week2_30_FXWEBredo_640x360_169027624.jpg

I've trained at multiple gyms in New York state, New York City, Chicago, and dropped in in Cleveland, Shanghai, etc. Can't really think of more than a couple of people who met that description, and definitely not a whole gym. In fact, the NYC gyms are dominated by white collar professionals, and the first six people I talked to at Shaolin's were 4 lawyers, 1 law student, and a surgeon.

I cross train in judo, and have encountered way more elitism in judo. But I'm not willing to paint the whole sport with a broad brush, and the overwhelming number of judoka I've met are really nice, just like BJJ guys.

Your tone is also very elitist and makes me think you're the problem.

Instead of trying to work BJJ, I threw him and pinned him. Held him for the entire 2 minute roll.
you are a gigantic tool.

thats like going to a judo class and butt scooting the entire time.

TS also sounds like a pompous douche, but is probably just a troll.

I wonder when people are gonna realize that RVCA is the new TapOut?

It could be geography. This is in NJ.
lol yep /thread.

To be fair, I have encountered more meat-head wannabe tough guys in BJJ than judo (most likely due to the MMA connection), but they were a minority and didn't tend to stay for very long.

Last edited:
Back