Why I Quit BJJ

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/18xN-qjoSE4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not sure how to post a video but I think the Valente Brothers video on the "philosophy" kind of explains the "douchy" type training envoroments.

Of course I've seen this type of guy, but at least where I have trained, I've never seen this type of guy past blue belt. You really do need to find the right school, there are tons of non-bros that train BJJ. Maybe make the commute to NYC if you have had no luck in Jersey. If it's really a passion of yours, maybe even move. I promise you you can find the right school if you love the art of BJJ.

Maybe there's something to be said about the old Snake Pit gauntlet to weed out douchebags and time wasters. I'm sure some old school, Vale Tudo BJJ places in Brazil were similar: beat the tar out of you for a month, and if you can handle it and keep coming back, you get their respect and proper coaching.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/18xN-qjoSE4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not sure how to post a video but I think the Valente Brothers video on the "philosophy" kind of explains the "douchy" type training envoroments.

Here you go

edit: huh, the [ yt ] tags don't appear to work any more.

Where in Jersey? My gym is in Bergen County and I don't think we have anyone that fits your descriptions.

I train in Bergen County as well and our gym has a total of 0 people who fit the OP's description.

OP, you sound like one miserable human. Congrats on your IQ, btw, bro.

I got a 100 on my IQ test. Perfect score bro!

I didn't read all 11 pages but I hope there was at least one "cool story bro"

Troll-300x291.png

Troll_940px.jpg

2879775-internet_troll.jpg

I've tried 4 different schools, no real difference between any of them. The thing with me is, if I don't like or respect my training partners, I don't have fun training. If I don't have fun I have no desire to continue. I enjoy Judo because the people are so different, and I actually like groundwork better than throws.

I was a BJJ white belt and went to a judo dojo for a Friday "Randori" night. The instructor was my size and paired himself up with me. He proceeded to send me sailing. After being dumped by some awesome Judo techniques, I bowed to him out of respect and gave him five. We go again and he Harai Goshis me. After getting up I go to shake his hand again and he gets all anoyed and says:

"In Judo we don't shake hands. Don't try to shake my hand after every throw."
"I was just acknowledging your skill. Your throw was pretty badass." I replied.

A few months go by without returning to the Judo Dojo but I kept training BJJ. I entered myself into a judo competition and it is so small that I (as a white belt) get paired up with 2 brown belts. The first guy is shorter and heavier than me. He throws me but does not get the ippon. I sweep him from guard and get full mount. I secure the position and he loses.

Next guy throws me but doesn't get the ippon and I lock in a fully sunken triangle. He lifts me off the ground and the referee stands us up. When we reengage on the feet he throws me for the ippon. After the match the guy comes up and says he is lucky the ref stood us up because he almost tapped.

The snob-ass Judo instructor who told me not to shake his hand was also there, and complained that I was not fighting black belts. Apparently, I had fought two of his browns, pinning one, and almost tapping out his other.

He said I was "a ringer" and started complaining to others standing around. I told him I was a white belt in Judo, and he said I was a "jiu-jitsu guy pretending to be a Judo white belt."

He continued his verbal assualt: "Go fight a black belt in the black belt division. But I bet you won't because you are scared you'll lose."

I told him "Really, you're a judo black belt, let's you and I compete right here on this open mat."

"No, I have a bulging disc, and I don't compete, but go fight the black belts." he complained.

So I went with this asshole right up to the promoter and entered into the black belt division. First match I got thrown into kesa-gatame and pinned. After the match, I looked for the snob-ass but he had bailed.

*Cliffs*
You seem cut from the same cloth as the Judo snob.

I was a BJJ white belt and went to a judo dojo for a Friday "Randori" night. The instructor was my size and paired himself up with me. He proceeded to send me sailing. After being dumped by some awesome Judo techniques, I bowed to him out of respect and gave him five. We go again and he Harai Goshis me. After getting up I go to shake his hand again and he gets all anoyed and says:

"In Judo we don't shake hands. Don't try to shake my hand after every throw."
"I was just acknowledging your skill. Your throw was pretty badass." I replied.

A few months go by without returning to the Judo Dojo but I kept training BJJ. I entered myself into a judo competition and it is so small that I (as a white belt) get paired up with 2 brown belts. The first guy is shorter and heavier than me. He throws me but does not get the ippon. I sweep him from guard and get full mount. I secure the position and he loses.

Next guy throws me but doesn't get the ippon and I lock in a fully sunken triangle. He lifts me off the ground and the referee stands us up. When we reengage on the feet he throws me for the ippon. After the match the guy comes up and says he is lucky the ref stood us up because he almost tapped.

The snob-ass Judo instructor who told me not to shake his hand was also there, and complained that I was not fighting black belts. Apparently, I had fought two of his browns, pinning one, and almost tapping out his other.

He said I was "a ringer" and started complaining to others standing around. I told him I was a white belt in Judo, and he said I was a "jiu-jitsu guy pretending to be a Judo white belt."

He continued his verbal assualt: "Go fight a black belt in the black belt division. But I bet you won't because you are scared you'll lose."

I told him "Really, you're a judo black belt, let's you and I compete right here on this open mat."

"No, I have a bulging disc, and I don't compete, but go fight the black belts." he complained.

So I went with this asshole right up to the promoter and entered into the black belt division. First match I got thrown into kesa-gatame and pinned. After the match, I looked for the snob-ass but he had bailed.

*Cliffs*
You seem cut from the same cloth as the Judo snob.

So what you're saying is bjj> judo?

So what you're saying is bjj> judo?

I think he's trying to some some people are dick heads all over and maybe TS should be looking at himself to see if maybe it was himself instead.

Seems like the common factor in all these "bad" gyms was the TS. It's like when a chick has bad relationships one after another and say "I can't meet a nice guy, why do my relationships fail". What's the common factor in each one?

Hit the nail on the head for 50% of the no gi class.

Tatted up mma wannabes. They come in like they're sponsored and undefeated in 20 pro bouts. Tails of whoopin guys asses in the backyard at parties.

Train for 1-3 months and quit.
Tell people they still train at the place a year later.

I'm a gi person myself, so I rarely hit up the no gi class. But when I do, half the dudes are EXACTLY as stated in the first post.

My personal favorite is when they are getting owned they always say if they could strike it would be WAAAY different.

They are correct, they'd have been KTFO in the first minute of the roll.

It's a problem that afflicts nogi schools in the lower ranks. And I can believe it is much more pervasive in NJ. But it's pretty rare in gi schools, and almost vanishes in the upper ranks.

Basically go to a school that isn't chock-a-block filled with nogi NJ lower belts, and there shouldn't be any problem.

Emo thread is emo.

I've trained at a few different schools and barely ever encountered this attitude.

Chances are, if you are constantly encountering the same problem at different schools, it's you. Sorry bro.

What you are really portraying is how much an oversensitive dick you are. You hate on your teammates at the gym because they are passionate about fighters and fighting, and want to talk with you about it? Whoa!! Mind Blown!!! Bjj guys like watching fighting!? Who woulda thought. Maybe they keep asking you if you are going to fight/compete because you are talented/experienced and your teammates want to see what you can do outside the gym?

If you seriously quit Bjj because of other people... Well, you obviously don't give a shit about Bjj to begin with.

In a nutshell:

TS is either a whiny, emo asshole... Or a troll. Either way.

Last edited:
Back