Why I Quit BJJ

That's pretty counter to my experience. I usually find most BJJ guys are pretty cool, though at more MMA oriented schools you do get some meatheads. That's too bad you've had such a bad time. Given that it's 4 different schools you've been to, do you think any of it might be you? What other martial arts have you done? I find that the non-traditional nature of most BJJ gyms can turn guys off who are used to a more organized, hierarchical structure like you find in most TKD gyms.

And the last part of your comment about guys asking you if you've seen a given fighter who's currently active and you being disgusted seems pretty judgemental. Does someone who's 19 have to be a big Saku fan to have your respect? PRIDE was a long time ago. It sounds like that person was actually trying to talk to you about a perceived shared interest. But it sounds like him calling you 'bro' offended you pretty deeply, which is too bad, since that's typically a term of at least some endearment.

Id just go into undergound mental mode and just train. Focus on the techniques and roll wih a mission. OR find a few guys with a like mindset.

im pretty sure your training partners are glad to see you go also...

if not because they are tired of your elitist attitude then probably because they are tired of getting poked by that stick in your ass..

You sound like a BJJ hipster.

But for real, it sounds like you just need to find a different gym. Find a team that actually shares and promotes your philosophy of training.

"Dude, that guy is so lame. He acts like he's the shit but his game is weak. He told me he's been at three others schools."

"Seriously? I bet he got kicked out for being a snobby prick. I was workin' my berimbolo game against him and he kept getting a kneebar on me and finally said, 'stop doing that bullshit, you are not a mendes brother.' I learned the berimbolo last week off a youtube video and he thinks it's the mundials or something. Dude is just annoying."

"You guys feel that way, too? I thought I was the only one, dude. Ralph said that the best defense to the double under pass was farting in the guy's face and everyone laughed except that dude. And then he said, 'actually it's turtling and going for a kimura a la sakikabara' or some shit like that."

"Dude's lame."

Are you guys kidding me? This guy nailed pretty much half the guys I have ever trained with, and I have trained at a TON of gyms. TS, are you sure you dont come in to the 6pm classes at my school?

I've trained at 4 different BJJ schools, Bro.

I've never encountered the typical tapout douchebag if i'm at a place that doesn't offer MMA classes.

That said, if someone who is doing a competitive sport with you asks you if you plan on competing in that sport, they aren't morons. That's just a normal line of reasoning for an amateur sport.

Bro you're from New Jersey. Get the fuck over it.

"Dude, that guy is so lame. He acts like he's the shit but his game is weak. He told me he's been at three others schools."

"Seriously? I bet he got kicked out for being a snobby prick. I was workin' my berimbolo game against him and he kept getting a kneebar on me and finally said, 'stop doing that bullshit, you are not a mendes brother.' I learned the berimbolo last week off a youtube video and he thinks it's the mundials or something. Dude is just annoying."

"You guys feel that way, too? I thought I was the only one, dude. Ralph said that the best defense to the double under pass was farting in the guy's face and everyone laughed except that dude. And then he said, 'actually it's turtling and going for a kimura a la sakikabara' or some shit like that."

"Dude's lame."

Thanks a lot, I just almost died laughing.

"Coach was trying to encourage everyone to do an upcoming NAGA. So he asks this guy if was doing any divisions. Guy looks at coach all annoyed and answers 'no'. So coach moves on to the next teammate to take down his weight and skill level so he knows what mat to be on to coach. When we start rolling, guy goes all crazy on a kid that is brand fucking new, and toe-holds the fuck out of him, all passive-aggressive because he still angry that coach asked him if he was competing. Guy was acting like it was a 10,000$ cash challenge. Dick."

- E

I have trained at quite a few gyms and I haven't experienced a gym like that. There was an mma gym that I trained at a long time ago that had a few English equivalents. They would go to some of the gi classes very occasionally. Try their rubber guard stuff they learnt from youtube. Get smashed and then rarely go back to a gi class. That was only a few individuals from one gym amongst many that I have trained at.

To be honest I have found that guys that train BJJ have above average intelligence.

At my gym the matches you are most likely to hear about are jiu jitsu matches.

bro, maybe you are getting old and just cant stand the teens in jiu jitsu class...

if this is the case, switch to aikido or perhaps tai-chi-chuan (is that even spelled properly)...

A lot of my friends train in NJ in the south and none of them have had experiences like this. Most of the gyms, when you get past the Cherry Hill area are Balance affiliates or the owners come from those schools. Then there's Daddis, Almeida's school, and I guess others but I find it really hard to believe you're having this experience consistently in NJ.

And, quite frankly, what do you expect people to talk about at a jiu jitsu or martial arts school? The one thing you know you have in common is a desire to train a martial art. That's like attending chess classes and being annoyed people talk about Kasparov's matches without as much depth as you or they aren't as knowledgeable about past champions.

I'd also think someone using the term "bro" after rolling with you and asking you if you want to fight/compete is a sign of respect in that they think you're good. While you may not agree with their terminology it seems like you may be the issue, not a younger generation using lingo to express a bond, understanding, or respect.

I have to assume this is a troll job because schools like this are rare and odds are there are a group of guys/girls you'll end up being closer to because of similar outside interests or what not. The obvious solution is to go to another gym.

TJ Grant is a superior martial artist to Kazushi Sakuraba.

So you've been training BJJ for almost 10 years , you " dominate " people easily , now you're quitting because you dont like your training partners ? LOLZ

I've ran into some of those types in my gym. Luckily there's just a few left since they tend to quit pretty fast. The vast majority are just normal sensible people.

TJ Grant is a superior martial artist to Kazushi Sakuraba.

Roy-Nelson-UFC-143-Workout.jpg

Back