Why I Quit BJJ

I would have expected to see this sentiment like 3-5 years ago during the UFC explosion. Since then I've noticed that most of the MMA tattoo'd out craze has kind of died off. Sucks you had a few bad experiences, but that is the gym that is killing that not BJJ. Keep looking or just move along, but you should realize that sort of attitude isn't universal.

Don't let other peoples actions decide your reaction.

but hey if you want to quit it, quit it.

If you've trained at 4 different schools, maybe the problem is you.

LOL, oh it's not that bad. Visit Ricardo Almeida's or Emily Kwok's school and I can pretty much guarantee you won't find people like TS is talking about.

Emily Kwok is da bomb. I've been going through her first instructional with Kesting and it is awesome. She has no choice but to be extremely technical given her gender and size.

I just can't imagine her school being anything but high quality.

There's your answer.

HAHA. I only do no-gi bro
medium_guido01.jpg

To the TS, if you don't want to train then you should stop. But I find it offensive as you labeling the entire BJJ community as "bros" when you've had four experiences in a small sample population. I think you're probably frustrated with something and you're projecting it onto BJJ. good luck

I like making fun of the mma fan cliche.

Do I really care if I have to train with them?

Nope.

I think ts got such prejudice of mma from Judo.

Preface: I've been training MA for over 10 years. I started BJJ in 2004. I've done and seen a lot.

I can't stand the people who train BJJ. I don't have an IQ under 40, I don't have tattoos, I don't act like a wannabe tough guy, I don't wear tapout or any aggressive looking shirts, I don't say 'Bro' every other word. When I go to a BJJ class pretty much everyone ignores me. I don't look or act like them, so I'm an afterthought. When we get to rolling and they get dominated I am all of a sudden their 'Bro'. Superficial nitwits. After they realize I am good they ask me when I want to fight. I tell them I have no intention of doing MMA or grappling tournaments. They get a puzzled look on their face and walk away. I overhear them talking about MMA. "BRO! Grey Maynard has some SERIOUS hands! BRO, look out for him!". One of them says to me "BRO, did you see TJ Grant's fight?" "No, I didn't" "BRO, he can throw DOWN". Such cheesy and exaggerated commentary from fools who have never heard of Kazushi Sakuraba.

I've quit BJJ because I can't stand the morons who train it. This type of idiot doesn't do Judo or other Martial Arts. If I can't have fun with my training partners the training itself is no longer appealing.

You sound like an intolerant twat. Good luck finding a home anywhere with that attitude. Live and let live.

I've trained at four different schools and have noticed a significant difference in the demographics of all of them. Maybe because I actually let them represent themselves for who they are, rather than letting my perceptions of them be affected by my own stereotypes. Some of them are more my kind of people, some aren't. But, I've treated all of them with respect. For the most part it is returned, and we are all able to enjoy training together. You know who no one respects? They guy who acts like he's better than everyone else because he more effectively fits his own image of what is smarter, more knowledgeable, more refined, whatever. That guy's an afterthought, and it has nothing to do with the way he looks. If you don't learn to respect and get along with people different than you, I can't imagine you'll be able to enjoy many things in life.

either find a different school or a different art. take up cacc, sambo, or judo. im like you, dont wear tapout shirts, gel my hair, or say bro, but also you shouldnt judge these guys that do. plus, youre on an mma website and yet you're upset and look down upon someone who wanted to talk to you about mma? haha, c'mon man, i think you just need to take a chill pill :icon_chee

So, what's the point of starting this thread except to be inflammatory? I guess to just demonstrate your own lack of maturity.

As others have mentioned, the only constant in the 4 gyms you have trained at is you.

1) That doesn't sound like the majority of people I train with. I've found that many of the people that I train with have careers, interests other than BJJ or MMA, and are generally well rounded people.

2) If you've trained at 4 places and you keep having issues with your training partner then the common denominator is you.

Back