Why is Cyborg praised for her kickboxing showing but Conor bashed?

Cyborg fought someone her size and age

Not someone retired and 25 pounds lighter

I don't recall Cyborg running her mouth saying how she was gonna destroy Baars or that she was struggling to give Baars a couple of rounds in their fight.

Unlike Floyd Baars is in her prime and she is feared by every other female kickboxer, also Baars was way bigger than Cyborg.

Cyborg also wasn't 0-0 going into the fight unlike Colin

Last edited:
She didn't go around trying to promote it as the fight of the century, she didn't try to convince anyone it wasn't a massive mismatch, she didn't claim she would have an easy win.

Cyborg didn't bump her gums for months at a time yapping about how she was gonna KO Baars in the first, didn't call her kickboxing biggest bitch, none of that. I truly believe that Conor thought in his head he was going to run over Floyd and that it wasn't gonna be a challenge. Conor literally landed one noteworthy shot the whole fucking fight, then got brutally beaten for 2 rounds before being finished by a guy half his fucking size.

Not to mention the fact Baars isn't a 40 year old inactive boxer that came out of retirement to fight Cyborg. Lol gimme a break.

I don't know what you are talking about. I rarely see anyone praising Cyborg.

Floyd was 40+ yrs old, had retired 2 yrs ago and hadn't so much as sparred a round in that time.

Conor basically called an old man out of retirement, sold the fight to the public and got paid.

did she say she would win in the first? did she act like a clown all round? did she have a lot of her believe in her bullshit? did she do it instead of defending her belt?

^^^^^ this

I don't get the difference, Cyborg got utterly outclassed against a champ in Muay Thai- she survived to the end and had a few moments, but for the most part she got battered. It also wasn't her kickboxing debut. Conor went in against a world champion boxer on his debut, got outclassed but had a few moments too. The only difference was he got finished, but he did survive until the 10th.

Yet for some odd reason, most people talk about Cyborg's survival as some proof of her striking ability- since she was against one of the best kickboxers and survived, and would smash her in the Octagon. But Conor was just a lolworthy failure against an old man. Are people really this dumb?

Cristiane__Justino__vs__Jorina_Baars_3.gif

tumblr_nwg3w0v7DY1ry1rm7o2_400.gif

FNqamE1.gif
The three or four gifs out there for Baars show some good shots for her but that's pretty much what she landed early in the fight, Cyborg came on strong at the end, muscled Jorina around and landed shots of her own. And she won at least one round by most accounts. You just don't see the Cyborg gifs because these threads are always started by salty Ronda fans. Or a Conor fan in this case.

Last edited:
Its mostly mma fans doing the bashing

I've been a fan of floyd since 06, one of my biggest Inspirations coming up In boxing.

Most boxing guys I've spoken with thought Conor did well with what he had and deserves some respect. Even guys like Freddie roach, numerous boxing legends, historians and analysts have given him credit. While at the same time, objectively speaking It was a mismatch. It was a guy with 0 boxing fights, fighting one of the greatest boxers of all time..past his prime or not.

Without a doubt, It was a money fight..but It was a fight and Conor went In there to fight so he deserves that respect. Most of the actual boxing guys outside of a select few gave him It.

At the end of the day Floyd Is just a master at what he does. He Is a true Inspiration to watch, even at 40. There's no real shame In losing a fight like that, regardless of the circumstances.

you gotta understand, It was the first boxing fight many MMA fans have seen..In many cases. That and when fans genuinely hate a person / fighter..they'll do / say anything to discredit them.

Same thing has happened to Floyd since as long as I can remember.

At the end of the day confirmation bias Is a powerful thing. There are few fans, MMA fans In particular who are not ruled by their biases and emotions.

Anyone who steps In there and fights deserves respect. Something the keyboard warriors who don't actually train would never understand. They're just fans

Floyd was 40+ yrs old, had retired 2 yrs ago and hadn't so much as sparred a round in that time.

Conor basically called an old man out of retirement, sold the fight to the public and got paid.
Floyd was definitely past his prime

but this is pretty disrespectful to Floyd to be honest.

True story, she gets a lot of stick for lack of competition and other things- and deservedly so. But when it comes to this fight, I always see her getting respect for taking on a champion in her own sport and being competitive.

At the time I remember cyborg getting pretty trashed for her performance. As of late that seems to have changed. As far as why does Conor get more shit? That should go without saying. If you’re going to talk that much shit and get destroyed like he did then you’re probably going to get trashed for it.

I don't get the difference, Cyborg got utterly outclassed against a champ in Muay Thai- she survived to the end and had a few moments, but for the most part she got battered. It also wasn't her kickboxing debut. Conor went in against a world champion boxer on his debut, got outclassed but had a few moments too. The only difference was he got finished, but he did survive until the 10th.

Yet for some odd reason, most people talk about Cyborg's survival as some proof of her striking ability- since she was against one of the best kickboxers and survived, and would smash her in the Octagon. But Conor was just a lolworthy failure against an old man. Are people really this dumb?

Cristiane__Justino__vs__Jorina_Baars_3.gif

tumblr_nwg3w0v7DY1ry1rm7o2_400.gif

FNqamE1.gif

The difference is simple: Cyborg already defended her belt.
She fought in MT because she had cleared her contenders. COnor did it for the money, and also in order to NOT defend his belt.

Floyd was definitely past his prime

but this is pretty disrespectful to Floyd to be honest.
Disrespectful how? I just stated the facts.

He's over 40 years old. He was retired. He said he hadn't sparred even 1 round since retiring.

This is the knee of death!!

FNqamE1.gif
Love it. Cybor going for the same old looping arm punch she always throws. Her nuthuggers love to talk about how great she is, but from a skills standpoint, she's fucking terrible.

Disrespectful how? I just stated the facts.

He's over 40 years old. He was retired. He said he hadn't sparred even 1 round since retiring.
well, he Is one of the greatest of all time. Greatest defensive boxer of all time.

Not like he's a normal 40 year old / old man.

Love it. Cybor going for the same old looping arm punch she always throws. Her nuthuggers love to talk about how great she is, but from a skills standpoint, she's fucking terrible.
Watch the fight not a gif.

Ive never seen Cyborg break or wilt mentally. Not in the Baars fight or any fight. Weve seen Conor break and give up on more than one occassion including the Floyd fight when things get tough. Thats why. It was a much more valiant effort than Conors fight with Floyd.

Back