Will UFC 249 be Cancelled?

How much do you think Dana just wants this done so he never has to hear about this fucking fight ever again ? lol

Well said. We’ve waited this long, waiting until the fall isn’t a problem for me.

It's better that it doesn't take place in NYC. A smaller chance of a bad stoppage.

Tony vs Khabib is the new "Rumble in the Jungle".
Just lock them up in a cage.
The winner has to walk out the cage on their own.

You mean the country that also has ~70,000 annual flu deaths ? Basically the same as the US (Italy higher in some specifix years) but a population that is a 5th of the size ? Please tell me about your previous concerns of Italy's exceptionally high flu deaths...

It's not just the deaths, it's the number of cases. They're going to have a shit-ton more deaths because their caseload exploded beyond their capacity to treat people. As a result, they've made the decision that people over 80 are going to die or live without treatment. Why did it suddenly explode beyond their capacity to handle? Because they thought it was all "an overreaction."

"flu deaths" can be from any of dozens of viruses, so acting like one single virus in a matter of days having less deaths than dozens of viruses over the course of a year means it means nothing is just dumb-assed ignorance.

The death rate of this virus is 20X, 30X or more than the flu virus, which makes it serious shit. The fact that it can be transmitted before anyone shows signs makes it also serious shit. The only other thing that competes on the "serious shit" would be what resides between your ears.

This fight has always been cursed.

I called that this fight was gonna be cancelled the day it was announced.

*Postponed, not cancelled.

Can we at least TRY to spin in as positively as possible?

This fight has always been cursed.

I called that this fight was gonna be cancelled the day it was announced.
I maintain that there's a *chance* they will move it to Dubai or Abu Dhabi. That is probably one of the last possible locations.

It's not just the deaths, it's the number of cases. They're going to have a shit-ton more deaths because their caseload exploded beyond their capacity to treat people. As a result, they've made the decision that people over 80 are going to die or live without treatment. Why did it suddenly explode beyond their capacity to handle? Because they thought it was all "an overreaction."

"flu deaths" can be from any of dozens of viruses, so acting like one single virus in a matter of days having less deaths than dozens of viruses over the course of a year means it means nothing is just dumb-assed ignorance.

The death rate of this virus is 20X, 30X or more than the flu virus, which makes it serious shit. The fact that it can be transmitted before anyone shows signs makes it also serious shit. The only other thing that competes on the "serious shit" would be what resides between your ears.

You're first paragraph is ridiculously mis-informed. It did not 'explode beyond their capacity' at all. The Italian healthcare system has dealt with ~2million flu cases since last October, successfully treating apprx 1.3million. You think an additional 30,000 COVID cases broke their system ? No. Modelling of current data (which so far this week shows the ratio of deaths to infections decreasing) predicts a fatality rate of ~1%, this figure is not 20x or 30x more than the flu virus.

It's definitely going to happen. Worst case scenario they move it.

Now stop making hysterical threads about it.
It depends on travel. It seems like the UFC are having a hard time finding a state which will allow them to put on a fight card even in an empty arena. And even if they could, not all of the UFC fighters are currently in the US, and with travel bans it is unlikely everyone will be able to come to the US.

So the UFC need to find a country willing to host the event & let UFC fighters travel there. And then they need to convince the fighters to actually travel there, as they may not be able to return immediately to their home countries.

We will just have to wait and see ... supposedly after another 2-3 weeks of "social distancing", we might see a return to normal life.

They moved an event 6 days before just because of Jon Jones.
This is a bit different. Most states are banning events of even 50 people. If you've got ~20 fighters, 40+ cornermen, security, referees, judges, executives, commission members, cutmen, doctors, paramedics, etc., you're easily at 100+ people just to hold an "empty" UFC event.

And even if the NSAC would allow it, Khabib seems to refuse to fight in Nevada because they punished him once.

It depends on travel. It seems like the UFC are having a hard time finding a state which will allow them to put on a fight card even in an empty arena. And even if they could, not all of the UFC fighters are currently in the US, and with travel bans it is unlikely everyone will be able to come to the US.

So the UFC need to find a country willing to host the event & let UFC fighters travel there. And then they need to convince the fighters to actually travel there, as they may not be able to return immediately to their home countries.

We will just have to wait and see ... supposedly after another 2-3 weeks of "social distancing", we might see a return to normal life.
In my defense, I made that comment before everything went completely insane.

Ahh true, shit has happened so fast. Over the weekend everyone freaked out and put in tons of travel bans.

Dude, you're from Ottawa too? LOL, I'm out in Casselman, but I work in Ottawa.

What do you think of our health officer saying 200-1000 people could be infected via community spread?

Dude, you're from Ottawa too? LOL, I'm out in Casselman, but I work in Ottawa.

What do you think of our health officer saying 200-1000 people could be infected via community spread?
It's pretty crazy. I'm off work for at least a few weeks so I'm all aboard the 'social distancing' bandwagon.

Not much different from my normal routine TBH. I live downtown, and it's a bit of a ghost town right now.

Where did I say it was just a flu ? I didn't. My point was to highlight people expressing unnecessary shock at what are miniscule numbers compared to Italy's death rates linked to other viruses.

Umm no, you're way off with your numbers, which makes me think you're either a troll, or just a retard.

Official figures estimate around 68,000 flu related deaths in Italy over a 5 year period. Not 70,000 in one year.

The main point your missing is not the mortality rate, its not a competition between which virus will kill more people. The point is that COVID-19 is brand new and nobody has an immunity to it, so it's spreading like wild fire (unlike the common flu) and is overwhelming public infrastructure.

You might not give a shit, and after reading this you'll probably try to find some other virus that has killed more people than COVID-19 will to try to prove a point that its not serious, but what you don't realise is that when the dust settles from this pandemic there is going to be a nasty global recession that's going to last us years and years. Not to mention a death toll that will likely run into the hundreds of thousands when all is said and done. Those deaths will be in addition to the usual anual deaths caused by modern flu.

Back