Worst weather conditions youve lived through.

HHJ

Herbs to Curbs
@plutonium
Reaction score
I lived through Hurricane Sandy,and that was pretty scary. Sounded like Death outside,but I was safe inside my house.

I was in Montreal over the weekend where it was like 10 below. When theres snow everywhere and you cant walk fast,and the wind picks up,that shit is brutality. That must suck some serious dick for the homeless.

I remember being in college when it was -40 (wind chill).

I showed up to a lecture with only a handful of other students.

Professor asked us to state our names so that we would get bonus points for the class (I assume the next assessment). Then, she ended the class and let us go home.

I guess Sandy.

I lived through Hurricane Sandy,and that was pretty scary. Sounded like Death outside,but I was safe inside my house.

I was in Montreal over the weekend where it was like 10 below. When theres snow everywhere and you cant walk fast,and the wind picks up,that shit is brutality. That must suck some serious dick for the homeless.
Where in the city are you, if you don't mind me asking?

Hmm, probably Palm Springs 10 years ago, was about 112-115ish. At night time it was still near triple digits.

Where in the city are you, if you don't mind me asking?
I was in Brooklyn,but I was in the center,so far enough away from the water,that I was luckily not as affected as most. Still the damage outside the next day was still frightening. Many destroyed trees landing on cars.

Typhoon Rusa, 2002. I was on an island off of Nagasaki when it sideswiped that island at about maybe 75% intensity. Pretty scary. The shutters were shaking loudly. Some debris to clean up later, but nobody was killed or even hurt, and there wasn't much structural damage.

Spent a year in the Antarctic on/off in an advisor/guide type role. One occassion lost a layer of skin where your beard would be and snow blindness on another occasion. This example does not exactly make me sound like a good advisor...but also reminds me why beards are good

Spent a year in the Antarctic on/off in an advisor/guide type role. One occassion lost a layer of skin where your beard would be and snow blindness on another occasion. This example does not exactly make me sound like a good advisor...but also reminds me why beards are good
fuck

snow blindness sounds awful. I always wanted to visit the Antartic.

Its weird. I love warm weather,truly I do not like the cold....but for whatever reason ive always travelled to places like Scandinavia and Canada and shit,wtf is wrong w me?

fuck

snow blindness sounds awful. I always wanted to visit the Antartic.

Its weird. I love warm weather,truly I do not like the cold....but for whatever reason ive always travelled to places like Scandinavia and Canada and shit,wtf is wrong w me?

There's nothing better than being out in the cold and coming inside to a warm fire, something primitive about it

There's nothing better than being out in the cold and coming inside to a warm fire, something primitive about it
I am drawn to extremes...

also...one time when I was in Montreal,I climbed Mount Royal (not really a big mountain or anything,but it was in the middle of winter,and it was covered in snow) and when I got to the top,there is a building that is like heated,almost like a sauna,its such a relief to go in there from the cold,i felt like I could sleep for a thousand years. Then when you go outside back to the cold its like a huge godsmack shock to the system and you feel like an entirely new person. Now I know why finnish ppl go in a sauna and then go into the snow naked. Its a huge motherfucking kick in the ass,and how could you function without it once you have it?

I am drawn to extremes...

also...one time when I was in Montreal,I climbed Mount Royal (not really a big mountain or anything,but it was in the middle of winter,and it was covered in snow) and when I got to the top,there is a building that is like heated,almost like a sauna,its such a relief to go in there from the cold,i felt like I could sleep for a thousand years. Then when you go outside back to the cold its like a huge godsmack shock to the system and you feel like an entirely new person. Now I know why finnish ppl go in a sauna and then go into the snow naked. Its a huge motherfucking kick in the ass,and how could you function without it once you have it?

I like that in 'extreme' weather areas at least you can prepare for it- the cold, the heat etc. It is places like fucking Texas that change daily that I dont know what the fuck is going on outside lol

Probably when a likely funnel cloud passed over the neighborhood. It was a typical spring mid-west storm rolling through town. Warnings had been issued for the possibility of strong storms. There hadn't been mention given on tornadoes.

It was storming outside badly. Then suddenly everything picked up in intensity. The plants and trees I could see began to suddenly blow around violently. Then the house began to vibrate and moan. It didn't last long, a minute or two and then it was over. After the storm had passed going outside I could see several trees knocked over, and many large tree limbs in the street.

Not all that humorous to go through a storm like that, but once the storming was over the tornado siren, which was located one street over, began to loudly sound.

Probably the 1980 storm that took out power for two weeks. Apparently the jet stream moved down close to ground level. The wind lasted about an hour. They don't know for certain how hard the wind blew because the building with the weather equipment at the airport recorded 112 mph at 8:48 PM when the building blew down. Other weather stations in the area were only capable of recording up to 100 mph and one of those was still recording 100 mph winds at 9:39 PM. People who studied the damage estimated that wind speeds may have reached 200 mph in some places. Several cement stave silos were blown down along with many barns and houses. One insurance company went bankrupt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Wisconsin_Derecho

maybe floods in mexico combined with lightning.

Near Montreal at Trois Rivieres in -20 Celsius weather, with the wind it was probably -30. Breathing in the air actually hurts your lungs. That sucked donkey balls.

There was that time when a major wind storm hit Vancouver in 2006, and wrecked the fence of my parents house. I had to help my dad rebuilt it and clear out all the shit that was blown into the yard.

Back in the late 70's I survived a US record (at the time) rainfall and subsequent flood...and also experienced -40 windchill in Iowa and snowiest winter in NYC in 30 years (93/94). But my high point of low weather was a couple years ago when I took a direct hit and full frontal blast from the most powerful cyclone to ever hit land (Typhoon Haiyan). I've had a good run.

1989hugo0422.gif

Just bad winters of -30 and occasional -50 days. Nothing unusual

Back