Tucking chin as a choke defense?

It's a fine way to stall for more time, but don't be upset when you get your face choked.

all these responses, but no one mentions bring your shoulders up as well, or chin to shoulder not just down to chest.....the human body has many moving parts, use your body as a whole weapon.

This covers a lot of stuff others do not think about, though I should have mentioned how often getting the hands seperated, you get your shoulder blades to mat and twist in.....that still works and is most effective often. You dont got to watch my vid, but thought op might like about shoulder up etc.

Chin to shoulder is good, this is how I've gotten away with turtling more than I probably should.

It's like any defense. It's not 100%, but it will buy you time. I tuck my chin and raise my shoulders. That tends to buy my some time to find a hand to grip fight and eventually escape. It's a solid defense.

Learn how to turn into a choke rather than away.

I would make you spit out your teeth like chiclets if you tucked your chin with me. I can't stand that.

so you would facechoke your bjj classmate in class and make him spit his teeth? If I was your classmate, I would tap, get up and beat the living shit out of you for doing that.

If it is in a SD situation, yeah it could hurt, yeah you could make him lose some teeth, guess what, THAT IS NOT GOING TO STOP`YOUR OPPONENT in a SF, adrenaline will take over, and you will probably tire you self from squeezing and the dude is not going to go out, meaning he can still fight.

In mma? how many people have you seen tap from a choke whos aiming the teeth of his oppoenent? not many I would say, why? it simple, it hurts, but is not going to put anyone away, and its way easier to escape than a normal over the chin choke, the elbow or the choking arm is way too high, so the defender can actually just push it up and escape.

Chocking THROUGH the chin can be done though, but is not the same as trying to break your opponents teeth from the choke.

I would say is way more important to learn how to choke properly than worrying about the other person tucking his chin, because after all, hes doing the right defense.

Tucking your chin buys a few seconds, nothing more. It isn't really a "defense" per se as much as an emergency stop-gap while you fight off the hands and start trying for an escape. A bad grappler will just crush your chin or nose through it which isn't great; a good one will break chin-tucking outright and get the arm under the chin with more advanced techniques (see Marcelo's various methods - pull forhead, walking thumb under chin by rotating wrist under the chin to wrench the wrist underneath, etc)

so you would facechoke your bjj classmate in class and make him spit his teeth? If I was your classmate, I would tap, get up and beat the living shit out of you for doing that.

If it is in a SD situation, yeah it could hurt, yeah you could make him lose some teeth, guess what, THAT IS NOT GOING TO STOP`YOUR OPPONENT in a SF, adrenaline will take over, and you will probably tire you self from squeezing and the dude is not going to go out, meaning he can still fight.

In mma? how many people have you seen tap from a choke whos aiming the teeth of his oppoenent? not many I would say, why? it simple, it hurts, but is not going to put anyone away, and its way easier to escape than a normal over the chin choke, the elbow or the choking arm is way too high, so the defender can actually just push it up and escape.

Chocking THROUGH the chin can be done though, but is not the same as trying to break your opponents teeth from the choke.

I would say is way more important to learn how to choke properly than worrying about the other person tucking his chin, because after all, hes doing the right defense.

I think you are underestimating the effect of the chiclet choke.

I've won tournaments with this. Plenty of adrenaline rushing then. It still stops the guy. It is literally a form of torture to have your face slowly crushed and feel your bones breaking. People will give up to this.

Yeah, they can still fight afterwards, but they can still fight after an armbar too. It's just going to be harder now that they have broken bones.

I'd rather get the blood choke, but the chiclet choke is nothing to sneeze at.

Lol at chiclet choke.

Yeah tucking chin is fine to buy a few seconds but that guy, he gonna choke you right through your chin. And your teeth.

Cross choke from top is particularly brutal for this. The guy will just hammer down on your jaw while pulling hard with the vise grip. Rarely can people hold out, even if they wanted to.

I feel like my chin is going to explode more than my teeth.

I feel like my chin is going to explode more than my teeth.

It could probably do either depending. Thing is, pretty much nobody sticks it out long enough to find out. It hurts that bad.

It's like the same idea as a bicep slicer. It hurts like hell and pretty much nobody sticks it out long enough to find out what really happens.

Every now and then, some genius gets the idea that he's going to be the one to find out. So far I've seen that go two ways in the bicep slicer: the forearm bones snap in two, or your bicep gets crushed so bad you get rhabdo and the ER docs treat you like an earthquake victim.

I've never seen anyone do it with the face choke yet, but I'm willing to bet whichever way the final injury goes, it's going to make it a lot harder to fight back with such an injury.

Actually a lot of guys try to fight the bicep slicer. That's the entire problem, its potential to cause damage is significantly higher than its potential to cause unbearable pre-snap pain.

Actually a lot of guys try to fight the bicep slicer. That's the entire problem, its potential to cause damage is significantly higher than its potential to cause unbearable pre-snap pain.

I think they hurt pretty bad, and pretty much everyone I've ever put in it will tap to the pain before injury.

But every now and then I see someone purposefully gritting it out like there's going to be a reward at the end of the tunnel. The only reward is a devastating injury.

badass-over-here.jpg

But this guy just took your back and tapped you. It sounds like fighting him isn't going to go well for you.

It could probably do either depending. Thing is, pretty much nobody sticks it out long enough to find out. It hurts that bad.

I have seen teeth break from a choke, but it was a guillotine that was crushing the teeth toward each other. Broke two incisors clean in half, looked pretty painful.

When getting face choked I usually give up the neck, similar to how when I am getting bicep locked I give up the armbar.

But this guy just took your back and tapped you. It sounds like fighting him isn't going to go well for you.

So you think just because someone taps.you once in class hes going.to.beat.you.in.a.fight?

So you think just because someone taps.you once in class hes going.to.beat.you.in.a.fight?

No, I don't fight my teammates personally. I also don't assume I can beat somebody up, who literally just made me submit.

I think you are underestimating the effect of the chiclet choke.

I've won tournaments with this. Plenty of adrenaline rushing then. It still stops the guy. It is literally a form of torture to have your face slowly crushed and feel your bones breaking. People will give up to this.

Yeah, they can still fight afterwards, but they can still fight after an armbar too. It's just going to be harder now that they have broken bones.

I'd rather get the blood choke, but the chiclet choke is nothing to sneeze at.

How many times have you seen people tap from.a chiclet choke in mma? (If im not.wrong.is.a rnc.on.the.mouth?) and bro,.come on no.one is.breaking any facil.bones with a choke... my point.is.simple, you dont.tuck your.chin, and you are.giving your.opponent a.free rnc, which is.far superior to.any.pain sub...

How many times have you seen people tap from.a chiclet choke in mma? (If im not.wrong.is.a rnc.on.the.mouth?) and bro,.come on no.one is.breaking any facil.bones with a choke... my point.is.simple, you dont.tuck your.chin, and you are.giving your.opponent a.free rnc, which is.far superior to.any.pain sub...

I'm pretty sure it would break bones. At least it would dislocate the jaw.

In MMA, it would probably be more efficient to just do damage with punches instead.

Off the top of my head, Holdsworth vs Grant

tuf18-holdsworth-grant.jpg

If I text my instructor I know he has dozens of clips of guys finishing over the chin/mouth

tucking your chin to defend a choke is kinda like tucking your dick to become a woman.

Back