Overwatch Official Discussion, v2: ELO Hell (hello darkness my old friend)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up this game on PC. I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm pretty good at shooters. Had a lot of success with Ana and reaper so far. Had a few gnarly plays of the game with reapers special. Any advice for a noob? Also is there any way to check the scoreboard during the game?

Just picked up this game on PC. I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm pretty good at shooters. Had a lot of success with Ana and reaper so far. Had a few gnarly plays of the game with reapers special. Any advice for a noob? Also is there any way to check the scoreboard during the game?

There's no kill/death scoreboard between players but you can check your own stats with tab.

There's no kill/death scoreboard between players but you can check your own stats with tab.

Damn that's kinda lame. Also I fucking suck ass with tanking classes besides Reinhardt rofl.

Damn that's kinda lame. Also I fucking suck ass with tanking classes besides Reinhardt rofl.

Yeah, but it's intentional to stop players focussing on their k/d. The way to win is by playing the objective, that's my pro tip :D

Yeah, but it's intentional to stop players focussing on their k/d. The way to win is by playing the objective, that's my pro tip :D

Oh I totally agree. Just wish I could see my stats when playing a dps class. When I'm healing or tanking I dgaf how many times I die or how many kills I get.

Winston is hard af to play I like him as far as character design and leaping but his gun sucks and he gets put down fast. Trying to get better with him but it's a struggle

Winston is hard af to play I like him as far as character design and leaping but his gun sucks and he gets put down fast. Trying to get better with him but it's a struggle

He's mostly for targeting weak heroes like healers and just generally fucking shit up, then jumping back out without dying. He's no good in a straight up fight against the other tanks.

It's a lot of fun when you get into the groove of it though

He's mostly for targeting weak heroes like healers and just generally fucking shit up, then jumping back out without dying. He's no good in a straight up fight against the other tanks.

It's a lot of fun when you get into the groove of it though

Yeah, you really have to pick your battles with him and be patient. I go after 200 HP heroes and will wait for my barrier to be available before jumping in to a batch of enemies. His jump ability cools down quickly, so get out of there once you're in over your head. Also, avoid Reaper. He fucks Winston up bad.

Did my placement matches last night, and just as in previous seasons, my run was an absolute shitshow. I went 3-7 and expected to be placed below 2000 for that, yet somehow still ended up in Platinum with 2810. I ended last season just over 3100, so it appears that your previous SR is very heavily weighed into your placement. It almost begs the question of why even have placements in the first place. Might as well just pick up with the same SR you left off with, which almost seems like what's happening anyway.

The one thing that's helped me the most is to, after every death, question why that happened. Were you out of position? Did you overextend? Did you pick a fight you shouldn't have? Did you forget to reload before engaging? Were you not minding your cooldowns? If you can clearly analyze and identify what were the missteps that led to that death, you can start looking out for those things and consciously correcting them.

Another thing is, focus only on what you can control. Sometimes your DPS isn't going to be able to kill a thing. Or your Reinhardt decides he's always going to charge in on cooldown so you can watch him die. Or your Zenyatta is going to be more concerned with DPSing than getting a heal orb on you. You can't control these things, so don't let them tilt you. Just focus on improving your own play and doing your job and stay focused. The last thing you want is to let things beyond your control tilt you into playing stupidly and making bad in-game decisions.

Follow these simple steps and you too can go 3-7 in your placement matches.

I'm not good at FPSers, so I've been playing the popular support characters to try and contribute. I know they're probably considered the noob classes, but I mostly play Lucio, Rheinhardt, and Junkrat. Occasionally I use Winston and Torbjorn depending on the map and group comp.
Lucio and Reinhardt are top-tier (Rein is starting to have a bit of trouble in the current high-damage meta, but he's far from being out), so if you can learn to play these characters at a high level, you'll pretty much always be useful to the team.

Anyone have much success with Sombra? I like to try to find the usefulness of anything creators put in games, but I'm finding it difficult to see how she can be of much use. I used her a lot recently in Arcade modes and I've tried focusing on hacking priority health packs on defence or KOH maps, but rarely get many heals from it.

I've also tried focusing on hacking enemies, but because her gun is so unremarkable (and because she doesn't have any offensive special abilities) it doesn't seem to make much difference. Even hacking Roadhog does little because I still can't seem to put him down with a full clip of the gun. I play a lot of solo, so maybe the key with her is to work with others (yea yea, that's often the case in this game).

I suppose she can be useful in getting behind enemy lines and being a pest...well, one time on Anubis point B I was able to get behind the chokepoint and start capping the point, which led to us eventually taking the point.

This is my first time playing competitive mode. I went 7-3 in my qualifying games and they gave me a rank of 2250. I'm an incredibly average player, so no idea where that will land me. What exactly do you get for having high rank? I also noticed you win competitive points which you can spend on a different weapon skin. Is there anything else to spend this on?

Anyone have much success with Sombra? I like to try to find the usefulness of anything creators put in games, but I'm finding it difficult to see how she can be of much use. I used her a lot recently in Arcade modes and I've tried focusing on hacking priority health packs on defence or KOH maps, but rarely get many heals from it.

I've also tried focusing on hacking enemies, but because her gun is so unremarkable (and because she doesn't have any offensive special abilities) it doesn't seem to make much difference. Even hacking Roadhog does little because I still can't seem to put him down with a full clip of the gun. I play a lot of solo, so maybe the key with her is to work with others (yea yea, that's often the case in this game).

I suppose she can be useful in getting behind enemy lines and being a pest...well, one time on Anubis point B I was able to get behind the chokepoint and start capping the point, which led to us eventually taking the point.

I guess on PTR Sombra can hack through shields. That could make her a hard counter for Reinhardt.

So far I've won 2, lost 1, drawn 1 placement match. The Overwatch experts say your placement will be mostly determined by last season. I didn't put any effort into last season so I guess I'm fucked

This is my first time playing competitive mode. I went 7-3 in my qualifying games and they gave me a rank of 2250. I'm an incredibly average player, so no idea where that will land me. What exactly do you get for having high rank? I also noticed you win competitive points which you can spend on a different weapon skin. Is there anything else to spend this on?
If you're top 500, I think you get an animated spray and/or player icon. Also, everyone gets a lump sum of competitive points at the end of the season based on the highest tier you reached. Currently, the only thing you can use competitive points is the gold weapon skins indeed, but I'm just hoarding mine until something nicer comes along.

Went from 5-2 in my placements to 5-5. Put in gold at 2132. Who the fuck would be a support main eh?

Went from 5-2 in my placements to 5-5. Put in gold at 2132. Who the fuck would be a support main eh?
tumblr_oa27p84yQ51sp60a0o1_500.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Baker
Back