Crime Las Vegas Mass Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe laws could be passed to ban hotels from having windows. o_O Nothing will ever prevent bad people from doing bad things. That has been proven over time and no matter how many laws, precautions, etc. are put in place it's going to happen.

So everyone is talking about the gun control question but I'm not hearing any other solutions or countermeasures to this kind of attack.

What do you guys here think about hotels being mandated to have bullet proof glass? Or alarms that alert authorities when windows are broken? That coupled with robust security in every hotel would have probably reduced the amount of casualties by half.

Yes motive is what matters. A terrorist attack requires a political motive but a heinous crime like this lacking that doesn't make it less heinous.

A terrorist attack does not require a political motive. Who cares what the motive was. I'll tell you what the motive was: The guy was crazy. Historically, at the time of the crime, these individuals are all crazy as a base line. Crazy as in not thinking straight, something wrong with the reasoning mechanism in the brain.

How long will I continue to be watched?

There's a few. I posted a pic of mine earlier in this thread.

IMG_6539_zps1wwup3v1.jpg

IMG_0510_zpsv8iepqwa.jpg
Is that full auto?

A terrorist attack does not require a political motive. Who cares what the motive was. I'll tell you what the motive was: The guy was crazy. Historically, at the time of the crime, these individuals are all crazy as a base line. Crazy as in not thinking straight, something wrong with the reasoning mechanism in the brain.
Yes it does, or at least if you're using any meaningful definition. If you want to call any crime that inspire fear terrorism then m throwing a rock through someone's window could count as terrorism.

Again, this attack not being terrorism doesn't minimize how heinous and awful it is.

Yes it does, or at least if you're using any meaningful definition. If you want to call any crime that inspire fear terrorism then m throwing a rock through someone's window could count as terrorism.

Your example would be vandalism. It does not inspire fear.

Again, it depends on your definition of terrorism:

. Violence or the threat of violence directed against civilians for the purpose of creating intense fear, which the terrorist hopes to exploit to attain political or ideological goals.
. The systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion.

I don't care either way if Stephen Paddock was a terrorist or not. It makes no difference to me.

Your example would be vandalism. It does not inspire fear.

Again, it depends on your definition of terrorism:

. Violence or the threat of violence directed against civilians for the purpose of creating intense fear, which the terrorist hopes to exploit to attain political or ideological goals.
. The systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion.

I don't care either way if Stephen Paddock was a terrorist or not. It makes no difference to me.
Both of those definitions are contingent on motive. For example, in the case of my rock example that could very well be terrorism if instead I throw a brick with a racist message tied to it with the intention of intimidating the inhabitants.

If you don't care whether or not Paddock is a terrorist that's fine but personally I think the attempt by some to paint him as such is done for partisan reasons that only muddle the conversation

What's the appeal of an unattractive old lady GF when you have more than enough $$$ to have a diff hot Vegas ho each day of the week?

What?!? You think the police are lying about his race, and his families race, and they are all in on it? You want him to be non-white so bad that it's got you very confused.

lol. right over your head. how many vaccines have you had in 2017?

and be truthful this time or i'm blocking you for good.

CNN reporting that the note seen on the table had trajectory calculations.

What's the appeal of an unattractive old lady GF when you have more than enough $$$ to have a diff hot Vegas ho each day of the week?

You sound like a virgin.

Adam Lanza was autistic, perhaps there is a connection between autism and violence

I would put near 10% of my fellow engineer students were somewhere on the spectrum. Silicon Valley is plump full with aspies. There aren't any shootings going on there. Aspies in general are more likely to be a victim than a predator.

Hate to say it but if you tracked the numbers bought/sold by each individual (actual individuals not companies or resellers) that's not unheard of.
Take for instance people who collect Mosin Nagant rifles, they started production in 1898, ran thru the mid 50s or 60s and were produced by several countries with new variations popping up every few years or so.

AK rifles, you have type 1s, type 2s, type 3s, AKM AK74, Saiga, VEPR, chinese, hungarian, polish, russian, yugo, rpk, etc

Easy for someone actually collecting a certain type to 'get out of hand' to really truthfully just be collecting

Been there and done that with Hawaiian shirts and pinball machines. I don't think people really get the mindset of a collector. I don't know if I would call it OCD but there is something to be said about the thrill of the hunt, which often supersedes the enjoyment of the item once gotten. I know of people that have 50-100 pinball machines. Maintaining that many pinball machines is a nightmare but there are people who's life revolves around them. That sounds nuts but I would bet the largest collections of near anything are in private hands. And a lot of people buy stuff in large lots to get things cheap.

lol. right over your head. how many vaccines have you had in 2017?

and be truthful this time or i'm blocking you for good.

My sarcasm meter was off. People have said crazier stuff here about this, it's hard to tell.

Please please don't block me, I'd feel just terrible.

Been there and done that with Hawaiian shirts and pinball machines. I don't think people really get the mindset of a collector. I don't know if I would call it OCD but there is something to be said about the thrill of the hunt, which often supersedes the enjoyment of the item once gotten. I know of people that have 50-100 pinball machines. Maintaining that many pinball machines is a nightmare but there are people who's life revolves around them. That sounds nuts but I would bet the largest collections of near anything are in private hands. And a lot of people buy stuff in large lots to get things cheap.
Your making me not feel so bad about some of my addictions. 100 pinball machines would be a nightmare to maintain. I know people that reload for every weapon they have and are down to a 1/4 grain increments shooting a Lapua at 2500yds. I'm to a-d-d to reload myself but I use all the info they acquire.

One guy got on our boat we were hauling equipment for and the crew told me he had two 1911s sticking out of his pants. Started talking to him hoping he seemed stable. Ended up showing me his guns and before I knew it I was trying to order one for myself. Dang, nice guns.

Anyway became friends and turns out he owns over a hundred guns, all top shelf. Showed me a picture of his nine year old son with a Ar15 that he built himself. Dude is a hard worker, provides well for his family, covers his own medical and doesn't want the government to do shit for him.

Oh without a foubt, look at the retro gaming collectors, car collectors, etc. firearm collectors are no different, if you pick a theme (say you want the big WWI, the big WWII, the big korean war and vietnam war guns you'll end up with a very expansive collection in no time flat. And it's legitimate collecting.
Your making me not feel so bad about some of my addictions. 100 pinball machines would be a nightmare to maintain. I know people that reload for every weapon they have and are down to a 1/4 grain increments shooting a Lapua at 2500yds. I'm to a-d-d to reload myself but I use all the info they acquire.

One guy got on our boat we were hauling equipment for and the crew told me he had two 1911s sticking out of his pants. Started talking to him hoping he seemed stable. Ended up showing me his guns and before I knew it I was trying to order one for myself. Dang, nice guns.

Anyway became friends and turns out he owns over a hundred guns, all top shelf. Showed me a picture of his nine year old son with a Ar15 that he built himself. Dude is a hard worker, provides well for his family, covers his own medical and doesn't want the government to do shit for him.
I made friends with a respected 2A supporter, and this guy is a vet VERY well spoken, very knowledgeable and has a primo collection that is well into the triple digits...
my older son wanted to meet him and went crazy when he let him handle his SVD dragunov. I have my own favorites from that collection.
Whatchu think of the Cetme? Im ordering a parts kit in a few weeks for my first build.
Don't try rolling your own receiver, be prepared to order several sets of rollers and get that headspace set right PERIOD

Cetme receivers can be hard to find, HK G3 receivers don't look right but work.

Last edited:
It's a little frustrating to see shit like "Law enforcement believe gunman had undiagnosed mental illness" on the front page of major news sites. To blame it on mental illness without any prior history is a logical fallacy, and a sloppy, lazy, absurd one at that. For all they know, his decision to shoot up a crowd may have been perfectly within whatever belief structure he had, just as many other terrorist attacks (which are also often committed by non mentally ill people)

It's a little frustrating to see shit like "Law enforcement believe gunman had undiagnosed mental illness" on the front page of major news sites. To blame it on mental illness without any prior history is a logical fallacy, and a sloppy, lazy, absurd one at that. For all they know, his decision to shoot up a crowd may have been perfectly within whatever belief structure he had, just as many other terrorist attacks (which are also often committed by non mentally ill people)
As the boards resident MD can you diagnose him for us? @Limbo Pete and I are very curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back