Stipe is a worker: he's the HW equivalent of Bisping and Forrest Griffin

Why the Stipe hate. He beats who gets put in front of him. So what someone charged at him and he KO'd him. He did what he had to do. I

Its funny how hyped people are on Francis. Francis is a good fighter and has a legit shot of beating Stipe. We want to talk about Stipe Koing people with glass chins?? Who has Francis KO'D??? Oh yea, Arlovski and Overeem. The same two guys your hating on Stipe for. Granted Francis did it more spectacular fashion but everyone is all aboard the Francis hype train.

Golden glove boxer

Is there a more overrated accolade? I've seen too many "golden glove boxer"s with shitty striking for this to mean anything. Chris Cariaso, Stephan Bonnar, Sean Gannon, Brendan Schaub etc.

Stipe is a talented HW boxer with solid wrestling skills that makes adjustments on the fly. But Francis is an incredible obstacle to have to plan for. Trying to drag him deep or outbox him is a huge risk with the power and physical attributes he possesses. Clinching and wrestling with him can also be very risky. I think that an early T/KO would be the best plan, but there's risk in that too. Stipe may surprise us and pull out a victory, it's just difficult to work through a scenario that doesn't require a fair amount of luck. But it's happened in fights before.

Stipe has really solid power, wrestling, and cardio. He is a good step above what Bisping and Forrest brought to their respective divisions.

Lol at mentioning his golden gloves
Something funny? Who else in the UFC has fought high level boxers (that went on to fight for professional titles) in boxing prior to joining the UFC?

That golden gloves tourney you're laughing at is the reason he's the best striker in the history of heavyweight MMA

Is there a more overrated accolade? I've seen too many "golden glove boxer"s with shitty striking for this to mean anything. Chris Cariaso, Stephan Bonnar, Sean Gannon, Brendan Schaub etc.
Context counts for a lot

Stipe made it to nationals and fought serious, serious boxers in that tournament

Why? if he was a K1 kickboxer, ADCC gold medal winner, Olympic Wrestler would you LOL at those credentials too?

K1 kickboxer aside, merely qualifying for the National Golden Gloves by winning a local tournament in Cleveland and then getting washed by a guy who had been boxing for less than two years (Bryant Jennings, although, Jennings did develop into a decent pro as he got more experience) is a little different from being an Olympic wrestler or ADCC gold medalist. Don't get me wrong, Stipe's boxing experience is very relevant and very clearly shows, but merely qualifying for the National Golden Gloves is nowhere near being an Olympian or winning ADCC.

Stipe has stopped his last four opponents in the first round and put two of them out cold, yet he’s not exciting and doesn’t have KO power? Okay then.

So you are saying that a well rounded fighter does not excite you, even one who finishes because he is not considered the hardest puncher in the division or the most dominant submission guy? Interesting.

Picking Ngannou by a knock out is sort of low hanging fruit. That is how he most likely wins if he does, Thats like saying Ronda by armbar against her former field of competitors. Stipe is no soccer mom.

I strongly disagree with the opinion that he lacks the ability to knock people the f out. The guy is a hard worker and I believe he has proven that he has heart, most notably with the JDS fights, and he has a good fight IQ and seems to me that he doesn't get too excited. Yes Ngannou can knock anyone dead with one shot, but what else can he do?

Being a one punch artist only gets you so far, we watched an absolute monster in Carwin get tattooed by JDS and blew his wad against Brock. Carwin was every bit the scary puncher that Ngannou is. There are many examples of this in the history of the sport. If Ngannou lands a quick one then to me it proves what I already know about him but sooner or later he will have to be tested, and at that point we will see if he shows the heart and determination that has been shown by many champions before as well as the ability to adapt and overcome when the one lethal weapon he has shown does not come through for him.

There are a few very dangerous hw fighters for him to be tested, Stipe among them. Maybe Cain at some point tests his gas tank or Werdum tests his submission defence. I agree that the one punch kings are exciting but I will need to see some good tests thrown at him. I have seen too many hype trains get derailed to start getting a giddy about a johnny come lately to the point where I can agree with talking shit about a tried and true champ who has shown the ability to overcome.

If he catches Stipe then he can end it. Huge guys sometimes slow down when pressured, so maybe if it goes past three we see if he is champ material or just a hard punch.

I don't agree with him. But I don't think he is trolling, I understand what he's trying to convey.

If he's trolling, too bad.
Oh hes definately trolling

Ts just happens to neglect
That werdum has been knocked out only twice in his whole career....once by stipe and the other by prime jds...hes ran foward chin up against a bunch of guys , only those 2 finished him cold

Stipe has way more KO's than nCANnou and against better competition

I don't really enjoy Stipe's fights because he's a worker, he's not a lethal striker with 1 punch KO power or an elite ground game that is dangerous. He wins by using solid striking and having great cardio, normally he wears his opponents down and gets the finish unless you run at him with hands down chin out like Werdum or have a glass chin like Overeem. Sure at HW anyone can knock out anyone but Stipe just doesn't have the 1 punch KO power like a Hunt or Big Country or the quick submission game like Frank Mir. It's always exciting watching a fighter who can end the fight in a second. Usually with Stipe it's not that exciting, you see it coming because his opponent is worn down which happens sooner at HW than other weights normally. I said the same thing about Bisping before he fought GSP, that he was the perfect opponent for GSP, a fighter who wasn't a threat striking or on the ground, and we saw how that went.

Like Stipe, Bisping, and Forrest Griffin are/were the same way, not lethal in the striking or ground area so they'd just wear their opponent down with their solid fundamental striking and great cardio and eventually get the TKO or submission. They all also have very good TD defense or had the ability to get up so that they weren't on the ground much.

With Stipe fighitng Francis Ngannou, Stipe's best chance is to avoid France's vicious 1 punch KO power and use his better striking to wear Francis down and open him up. Eventually Stipe could wear him down or catch him, stun him, and finish him by TKO......but Stipe tends to not have the best striking defense and has been dropped in a few of his fights, against France's he'll be finished.

How do I see Stipe vs. Ngannou going?.......I see Stipe doing well in the first, keeping Ngannou at bay and looking like he's going to win until Ngannou catches Stipe with a big one and drops him and then finishes with GnP punches for the KO/TKO.
4 first round KOs straight (3 in title fights) not exciting etc.

Oh hes definately trolling

Ts just happens to neglect
That werdum has been knocked out only twice in his whole career....once by stipe and the other by prime jds

Stipe has way more KO's than nCANnou and against better competition

I mean....you're calling Ngannous nCANcou. Isn't that trolling too?

I mean....you're calling Ngannous nCANcou. Isn't that trolling too?
Im not trying to pretend he my favorite fighter or hide my disdain for his hype train and speaking truth against it...so no, im not trolling bro

Well, Forest survived the uppercut in the first and took the decision against Rampage. He also beat Rua before it was cool.

The man was prone to injuries and inconsistent, but those victories were pretty impressive at that time.

Not disrespecting him, just saying that he doesn't have proven lethal 1 punch KO power or a lethal ground game like Bisping and Forrest.

And that Ngannou will probably KO/TKO him.

Yeah that bisping and Forrest sure were known as ground wizards. Shut the fuck up dumbass. Man shit posts like this thread are why this place sucks worse than it ever has. Uneducated buffoon.

Im not trying to pretend he my favorite fighter ie hide my disdain for his hype train and speaking truth against....so no, im not trolling bro

I think you need to have the right to express yourself like that. Unfortunately, there are fighters and situations in which if you do that, you can get in trouble. You know what I mean?

Back