Social Black Panther (War Room Discussion)

There's nothing wrong with Black Panther. The problem is this. Hype encourages mediocrity

Hostiles, Shape of Water, etc. passed under the radar because Hollyweird is pushing Black Panther down people's throats.

Tell me something. There have been movies in the past, high budget movies starring a black cast or whose main characters were black.

The Book of Eli was directed by two black directors, starring a black dude who a lot of people are familiar with (Denzel Washington).

Not one fart came out when it was released in theaters. No one emptied their heart out. Days went by as usual

This movie comes out and everyone is down at their knees lauding it as it's up there with Shawshank's redemption. If you take into account the social context at the moment (#metoo and all that crap) you'll understand why. Basically this movie is rated for its political effect not for its cinematographic value and only encourages more crap from Hollywood. Why bother with making Hostiles and Shape of Water, when you can just stir shit by masking politics with cinema.
Is Hostiles any good? Trailer looks like it has potential and I like Christian Bale and Rosamund Pike.

Anyway, I generally agree. I don't have a problem with the idea that people will gravitate to positive representations of their in group but in this case that instinct is being used to hype a movie that to me seems pretty average when compared to other films in its genre and that bugs me. The dominance of the Marvel films seems to me, as you suggest, to encourage mediocrity.

Really? I don't remember much political bullshit in those films except maybe in Star Wars. I remember people saying Star Wars was racist actually.

R card is played out son.
Does Black Panther really have politics in the film? Seems like the marketing is cynically exploiting the identity politics around the film but that most of it is coming from the fan base and not the studio itself.

So black kids didnt get roasted for cosplaying the characters from the movies?

Come on man .. At least be honest about the reactions some of yall have to black folks cosplaying as white characters.

I've personally (anecdotal) never seen someone say a black person can't cosplay as a character. I have seen that white people can't cosplay as a black character.

Does Black Panther really have politics in the film? Seems like the marketing is cynically exploiting the identity politics around the film but that most of it is coming from the fan base and not the studio itself.

I haven't seen the movie but from what I gather it's groups outside of the movie. I think this is a fair question to ask.

This. Anyone who actually thinks Marvel/Disney give one tenth of a fuck about the representation of Africa and African Americans in popular culture is fucking retarded. Marvel were always planning to make BP, but when they saw Wonder Woman making huge bank, they knew they could grab themselves a huge chunk of that sweet, muh Oppression! money. They also knew that unless they delivered a cluster-fuck of DC proportions, the movie would be effectively critic-proof. Hence the massive ad campaign, emphasising how this is the "first" Black Superhero Movie...

Blade? Who dat?;)

Disney and the MCU could not lose with this movie. Black people wanted to see it because it portrayed Africa in a positive light. Liberal whites wanted to see it to prove they aren't racist. And Nerds like me, who don't give a shit about the politics, want to see Black Panther push fool's shit in while wearing the second coolest costume in the MCU:cool:
Yup.

Disney gonna Disney and Hollywood gonna pander.

All those crying have had 99% of the pandering done to them historically and suddenly now they notice that other groups are ALSO being pandered to in one out of every 100 movies or so and it leads to huge crocodile tears. How dare they! lol.

Lol lazy? They’re two completely different characters.

You have no clue what you’re talking about like usual and even less so In regards to comic books.

Peter parker had 7 movies. Simmer down
i get the other universe thing, it just is lazy. how about black superman? he has a blue cape

China, Japan and Korea got their asses handed to them by Western powers around 18th to 19th century, and yet they were able to pick themselves back up.
What helped those countries was that they were and are further from Europeans so direct control is harder to attain and maintain. Unfortunately for Africa its basically right under Europe so when the West was ready to conquer it was an obvious target.

So yeah, being further from the West seems to correlate with success when it comes to Asia and Africa.

Haven't seen it. I know there is a song on the soundtrack that is anti-trump/president. I know that people in general are using it to signify "black pride"... for whatever reason? Never understand how having pride in something you cannot have controlled is a thing for people, regardless of which race is using. Having pride for something should be for accomplishments or at least something that isn't a genetic anomaly that you did ZERO for.

Ah.. So religion wasnt the hot topic for all 3 movies huh? Keep eating that steak Cypher.

Religion is a "hot topic" for all movies. What does that have to do with your jimmies being rustled over people pointing out the hilarity of 'morans' having pride in something as silly as a comic book character created by a white guy that is black which is also complete fiction? A lot of us are laughing AT YOU for being so pathetically insecure that this is your pride. It's not working your ass off getting a degree, building a business or putting in the time for your family, it's a fake black superhero movie created by a white guy marketed and supported for divisiveness.

Damn I miss the days when I could go to the theater and watch my dude Blade fuck some Vampire shit up and not hear a SINGLE peep race/color etc.

I'll just leave these here for appropriation.

obamadivides.jpg

Let me know when you dumbasses wake up. You're being groomed to hate and think that <insert other race> HATES you and is out to get YOU.

Haven't seen it. I know there is a song on the soundtrack that is anti-trump/president. I know that people in general are using it to signify "black pride"... for whatever reason? Never understand how having pride in something you cannot have controlled is a thing for people, regardless of which race is using. Having pride for something should be for accomplishments or at least something that isn't a genetic anomaly that you did ZERO for.

Religion is a "hot topic" for all movies. What does that have to do with your jimmies being rustled over people pointing out the hilarity of 'morans' having pride in something as silly as a comic book character created by a white guy that is black which is also complete fiction? A lot of us are laughing AT YOU for being so pathetically insecure that this is your pride. It's not working your ass off getting a degree, building a business or putting in the time for your family, it's a fake black superhero movie created by a white guy marketed and supported for divisiveness.

Damn I miss the days when I could go to the theater and watch my dude Blade fuck some Vampire shit up and not hear a SINGLE peep race/color etc.

I'll just leave these here for appropriation.

obamadivides.jpg

Let me know when you dumbasses wake up. You're being groomed to hate and think that <insert other race> HATES you and is out to get YOU.

And i am telling you to turn that mirror inward and take a look at yourself.

You sound like you have never read the comments section of any part of the internet save for Huffpo or young turks videos.

Cut it out, you are being disingenuous.

Like you havent geeked the hell out over anything in your life.

You are offend by other people celebrating a movie and attempt to cover it up with bullshit reasons.

This movie does not impact you nor does the response, you are just another person that cant stand seeing others being happy so you have to needle at shit, please go find a hobby. I suggest a gas powered R/C car, it will occupy the idle time you have causing your teenage angst to subside.

Give it a shot.

And i am telling you to turn that mirror inward and take a look at yourself.

You sound like you have never read the comments section of any part of the internet save for Huffpo or young turks videos.

Cut it out, you are being disingenuous.

Like you havent geeked the hell out over anything in your life.

You are offend by other people celebrating a movie and attempt to cover it up with bullshit reasons.

This movie does not impact you nor does the response, you are just another person that cant stand seeing others being happy so you have to needle at shit, please go find a hobby. I suggest a gas powered R/C car, it will occupy the idle time you have causing your teenage angst to subside.

Give it a shot.
{<huh}{<huh}{<huh}

It's like you literally didn't read my reply and copy/pasted some generic post back to me that maybe was meant for somebody else?

Holy shit.

I am going to let you know the impact american media has on the world.

While deployed and moving from kuwait to Iraq, our convoy was swarmed with people thankful at the time for our presence. They were waving American flags. But on these flags were effigy's of Sylvester Stallone as Rambo and Rocky.

Our media is powerful, and has an impact everywhere, so why not put positive shit out there? Who gives a shit about the response? Quit acting like there will be negative consequences for the praise the movie is getting.

Better yet, quit acting like this was 9 years ago. It is a fucking movie.

{<huh}{<huh}{<huh}

It's like you literally didn't read my reply and copy/pasted some generic post back to me that maybe was meant for somebody else?

Holy shit.

What? You made a false accusation that does not apply to me. Therefore, I said you were projecting.

You speak from a place of shame.

Almost as if you dressed up as Yoda for Phantom Menace.

Hey I get it.

What? You made a false accusation that does not apply to me. Therefore, I said you were projecting.

You speak from a place of shame.

Almost as if you dressed up as Yoda for Phantom Menace.

Hey I get it.
<Huh2>

The cringe in this post.

<Huh2>

The cringe in this post.

Dude you obviously have short term memory issues.

Your post is right up there.

You put in capital letters YOU.

I havent even seen the movie yet.

This whole conversation is fatherless as fuck, yall are coming off sounding like bitter baby mamas.

You are suppose to look up at the wall when you are at the urinal, not down and to the left. The fuck wrong with yall?

Western civilizations ushered the Renaissance, Age of Sail, Age of Enlightenment, Space Exploration and Digital Age. Africa is still, well, Africa. Are you sure it's "white identity" that brought Donald Trump to office instead of years of dissatisfaction with the status quo establishment?

Because the current state of Africa has nothing to do with its past interactions with European countries.

You can't completely intentionally obliterate a persons history and culture then turn around and judge them for "not having their shit together".

i get the other universe thing, it just is lazy. how about black superman? he has a blue cape

They're 2 compeltely different characters you moron. What the fuck don't you get. There is nothing lazy about it. There is an entire universe and back sTory written for Miles Morales.

Black superman has been done in grant Morrisons final crisis. Nothing you say makes a bit of sense and you sound like a complete idiot on top of it all

Do people not see the difference between Blade and the popularity of a shared MCU that took over 10 years to build.

Jeez Louise a lot of you are thick.

Why cant yall admit that the current socially accepted stereotype is, black folks are stingy, or broke and dont even support their own local businesses.

Disney and Marvel took a huge gamble on betting against the stereotype.

Damn right some people took this serious. The current state of movies that come from black cinema is fucking sad, drugs, abusive romance, gangs, rap dreams, sports dreams and the rare horror movie but it usually just winds up being another Killjoy sequel.

This. This is good.

Dude you obviously have short term memory issues.

Your post is right up there.

You put in capital letters YOU.

I havent even seen the movie yet.

This whole conversation is fatherless as fuck, yall are coming off sounding like bitter baby mamas.

You are suppose to look up at the wall when you are at the urinal, not down and to the left. The fuck wrong with yall?
Ok lol I figured this was a low IQ trap.

Also...

You got fantasies of other dudes looking at dicks or something? Where is this coming from lol?

Why cant yall admit that the current socially accepted stereotype is, black folks are stingy, or broke and dont even support their own local businesses.

Disney and Marvel took a huge gamble on betting against the stereotype.

Damn right some people took this serious. The current state of movies that come from black cinema is fucking sad, drugs, abusive romance, gangs, rap dreams, sports dreams and the rare horror movie but it usually just winds up being another Killjoy sequel.

This. This is good.

The same audience that goes to see Friday, Barbershop, and Tyler Perry movies aren't watching this.

White people are buying these tickets.

Back