UFC reaches deal with Disney/ESPN

Some of these people already have a UFC is dying narrative in their head and no matter what the final deals are they'll find a way to spin it.

In realiy, no rational nonbias person could spin; the UFC getting deals with two of the biggest sports network, probably around twice the mainstream US coverage and hype they used to get and 150-200 million more a year as struggling or dying or w/e they already convinced themselves and wish was happening.
non-biased, there is an -ed at the end of that.

this doesnt start till 2019 so at most 4 months crossover

Did their websites package deal and bought a year in addition to the Raging Al vs Khabib PPV.

When they cancelled the UFC magazine (don't ask why I subscribed) they gave me a real sweet value in exchange.

Translation : We got dropped by fox .

If fox saw no value that's not a positive
The current rumors are that FOX is also going to pick up 10-15 fights per year as well for probably roughly the same price. If so, then yes, this is a great deal for the UFC.

They have Avengers and Star Wars, they are fine.

Could they cut their losses with ESPN? Sure. But they've already cut the payroll pretty significantly.
The payroll isn't what is hurting ESPN, it's their NFL and NBA contracts. Their offer to the UFC is chump change in comparison.

Nice, great for The UFC. Idk why people are saying the UFC is dying.
ESPN is dying. They're ratings are tanking. Ufc is out of touch with where things are going. Things are moving towards streaming services and people are getting away from cable.

@FrankieNYC

Do you think the combined Fox/ESPN deal will mean more events per year (even if there will be less PPV's)?

In case the UFC will have to do more events per year, i wouldn't be surprised if they would use some of that new money to go on a spending spree and sign some fighters from Bellator and other organizations btw.

They been doing 40-45, I don't see that being surpassed
BUT ... money talks

But deff expect less PPV
That was WME's goal in 2016 when they bought it

Other networks see the NFL and NBA contracts as a positive because sports are the only thing that is still watched real time.

NBA ratings have risen over the past 4 years- http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/nba-ratings-1202752848/
Yep, I get it. But you can overpay for a good thing. ESPN has been squeezed.

There's tons of commentary out there about this. Here's one of the first articles that popped up in a quick google search about ESPN overpaying the NBA:
"ESPN is paying $1.9 billion annually to air "Monday Night Football," and other NFL content across its various platforms. That's $800 million more than the next closest competitor. Ourand says people are skeptical there was even another bidder within $500 million of that number.

After overpaying for the NFL, ESPN overpaid for the NBA, tripling its rate. It also doubled its rate for MLB rights."
http://www.businessinsider.com/espn-mistakes-led-to-layoffs-2015-10

For all of the so-called business experts that claimed the UFC was dying and that WME (Endeavor) had no clue as to what they were doing, this is how business is done. WME has completed the first of two deals that will generate nearly the $400 million per year goal that it set. Most people on this board thought the goal was not realistic. They were wrong.

Hey ... I tried
I been explaining the reality since the sale & as you know been eerily accurate
Some just have an agenda & post in that vein.
There is no arguing MMA/UFC interest is down & cards are not as enticing
Nobody will argue that
But UFC will be valued at over $6b in 2019 once the Fox deal gets announced

That is a 50% more in 2.5 years & some think WME/Investors over-paid???

WME conned Fertitta's
;)

Last edited:
Yep, I get it. But you can overpay for a good thing. ESPN has been squeezed.

There's tons of commentary out there about this. Here's one of the first articles that popped up in a quick google search about ESPN overpaying the NBA:
"ESPN is paying $1.9 billion annually to air "Monday Night Football," and other NFL content across its various platforms. That's $800 million more than the next closest competitor. Ourand says people are skeptical there was even another bidder within $500 million of that number.

After overpaying for the NFL, ESPN overpaid for the NBA, tripling its rate. It also doubled its rate for MLB rights."
http://www.businessinsider.com/espn-mistakes-led-to-layoffs-2015-10

This plus ESPN over-paid for this deal
Unless there is more info, there is zero chance to re-coup $150m per at $5 per month

FP had 400-450k subs at $10 per.
That after processing expenses is about $40m per

Walt Disney perfect choice for violent combat

fightpass will be for the non americans, regions with no ESPN+

This is how im seeing it..

ESPN+ in the USA will basically be fightpass with 12 extra events
ROTW will get Fightpass with all the ESPN stuff thrown in

Great thing about streaming events is they dont care about underrunning and we dont get 12 hours of fillers and shit.. its fights and walk ins..

Ah, here we go, from the espn+ launch

2vcm9XN.png

so its only in North America

So basically, in the US, all UFC fightpass content including Contender Series, 14 events, archives etc will move to ESPN+

US Fightpass would be pretty watered down with im guessing just early prelims, and invicta, cage warriors etc.

Outside the US, fightpass, and I would guess that Contender Series and the 14 events will be on fightpass in those regions. Highly unlikely they say "sorry rest of the world, we arent giving you shit"

I would be amazed if those 14 events and DWCS were US only.

bigger issue is how a migration of subscribers in the US from fightpass to espn+ would inpact the likes of invicta etc who are on fightpass

So people are actually getting fight pass content for cheaper. Yet they'll still whine, lol.

DERRRRP

Last edited:
Something else to look for in 2019

UFC going public
If WME takes a page out of WWE's book & puts 25-40% of the company public, they will make severe bank & the loans will even be a lesser issue

Here is a way to see the earning potential:
WWE is valued at about $3m according to last weeks stock prices
WWE made 1/9 the profit that UFC did in 2017

Something else to look for in 2019

UFC going public
If WME takes a page out of WWE's book & puts 25-40% of the company public, they will make severe bank & the loans will even be a lesser issue

Here is a way to see the earning potential:
WWE is valued at about $3m according to last weeks stock prices
WWE made 1/9 the profit that UFC did in 2017

ewww, publicly traded UFC

So how many posts does @FrankieNYC have in this thread at this point, 70?

Anyway, more leftist influence is just what UFC needs! One step closer to black transgender lesbian Muslim paraplegic ring-people

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockweiler
Back