Economy Last days of Tesla. Closing a dozen solar plants. Loses deal with Home Depot.

This is why Steve Jobs was so great. Focus. What is focus? Focus is about saying NO. Musk said yes to everything. No focus. Now he is trying to streamline Tesla but it is too late. I bet those trucks never get delivered either. As Jobs said, he created something that was less than the sum of its parts. So many great ideas but ended up being less as a whole. And it is a management issue. It is on Musk. He never put a bullet in the head of any thing. Jobs loves to kill.

Electric car maker Tesla's move last week to cut 9 percent of its workforce will sharply downsize the residential solar business it bought two years ago in a controversial $2.6 billion deal, according to three internal company documents and seven current and former Tesla solar employees.

The latest cuts to the division that was once SolarCity — a sales and installation company founded by two cousins of Tesla CEO Elon Musk — include closing about a dozen installation facilities, according to internal company documents, and ending a retail partnership with Home Depot that the current and former employees said generated about half of its sales.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/22/tesla-to-close-a-dozen-solar-facilities-in-9-states-documents.html

I can’t tell if Tesla is really going down, or if TS is just really really invested in seeing it fall.

Tesla had a major jump in stock prices today due to Elon Musk mulling taking the company private. When stock buybacks are on the horizon, short term prices always spike. If they go down this route, then they no longer have to disclose their finances publicly and we won't see the issues facing the company other than speculating. It has been reported that they secured the funding from Saudis to the stock buyback, which is raising all kinds of alarm bells for me. I think Tesla will be used as a vehicle for the Saudis to launder their cash and exert political influence in US.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/08/wednesday-briefing-elon-musk-ill-take-tesla-private

Why would saudi Arabia need to launder money?

Why would saudi Arabia need to launder money?
Their new leader Muhammed Bin Salman is cracking down hard on his family members in the House of Saud. Years of intervention and low oil prices hit their coffers hard, and they're resorting to stripping the wealth of political opponents to keep the balance on the books. Naturally, opponents of MBS will want to get their money out of his reach as soon as possible. Investing in a privately held company with a high profile would be the perfect cover.

Tesla had a major jump in stock prices today due to Elon Musk mulling taking the company private. When stock buybacks are on the horizon, short term prices always spike. If they go down this route, then they no longer have to disclose their finances publicly and we won't see the issues facing the company other than speculating. It has been reported that they secured the funding from Saudis to the stock buyback, which is raising all kinds of alarm bells for me. I think Tesla will be used as a vehicle for the Saudis to launder their cash and exert political influence in US.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/08/wednesday-briefing-elon-musk-ill-take-tesla-private

He claimed to have the funding locked in too. No evidence of that. Could be sued for market manipulation. It is also really fishy he says they are going private within minutes it was announced of the Saudi big buy.

Saudis also just invested in Snapchat.

Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal has acquired a 2.3% stake in Snapchat.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/08/07/technology/snapchat-prince-alwaleed-investment/index.html

Weird. I thought he was full of shit about this. He still may be. The Tesla drama continues.

After days of speculation and conflicting reports, Elon Musk has broken his silence about his plan to take Tesla private. In a Monday morning blog post, Musk explained that he has been in talks for weeks with managers of Saudi Arabia’s sovereign wealth fund to finance the massive deal, which some estimate could cost as much as $50 billion. But it’s unclear whether Musk’s explanation will mollify federal regulators, who are reportedly looking into whether his statements from last week were misleading.

Musk said that the Saudis first approached him about taking Tesla private in early 2017, but they only ramped up those talks in recent days after purchasing almost 5 percent of the company’s stock on the public markets. Musk said he took a meeting with the managing director of the fund on July 31st, where the director expressed regret that the going private talks hadn’t moved forward.

“He strongly expressed his support for funding a going private transaction for Tesla at this time,” Musk wrote. “I understood from him that no other decision makers were needed and that they were eager to proceed.”

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/13/17683104/elon-musk-tesla-private-saudi-arabia-deal

Elon Musk was at home in Los Angeles, struggling to maintain his composure. “This past year has been the most difficult and painful year of my career,” he said. “It was excruciating.”

The year has only gotten more intense for Mr. Musk, the chairman and chief executive of the electric-car maker Tesla, since he abruptly declared on Twitter last week that he hoped to convert the publicly traded company into a private one. The episode kicked off a furor in the markets and within Tesla itself, and he acknowledged on Thursday that he was fraying.

In an hourlong interview with The New York Times, he choked up multiple times, noting that he nearly missed his brother’s wedding this summer and spent his birthday holed up in Tesla’s offices as the company raced to meet elusive production targets on a crucial new model.

The events set in motion by Mr. Musk’s tweet have ignited a federal investigation and have angered some board members, according to people familiar with the matter. Efforts are underway to find a No. 2 executive to help take some of the pressure off Mr. Musk, people briefed on the search said. And some board members have expressed concern not only about Mr. Musk’s workload but also about his use of Ambien, two people familiar with the board said.

tl/dr: Musk is on Ambien. blames it for tweets. Claimed over Twitter that Tesla was going private on his way to airport on a whim. Funding secured. $420 a share. It was all nonsense. SEC goin after Felon Musk.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/16/business/elon-musk-interview-tesla.html

is-this-legal-absolutely-not-leonardo-dicaprio-the-wolf-of-wall-street.gif

I remember that one time he told everyone that he sent a car into space. That was a good one.

Ambien be all like, "What the fuck? We help you sleep! That's all we do. Quit blaming your craziness on us, you drunks!"

I honestly don't know why this place (and the internet in general) has such a rage boner for Musk these days.

Sure, he's not perfect, but he's clearly a businessman with some pretty impressive and important goals.

I hope he and Tesla succeed.

I honestly don't know why this place (and the internet in general) has such a rage boner for Musk these days.

Sure, he's not perfect, but he's clearly a businessman with some pretty impressive and important goals.

I don't think it's Musk that people hate, it's his supporters that annoy the crap out of everyone.
Calling that guy a pedo didn't do him any favors either.

I really think that people in certain high profile positions like this shouldn't be posting on twitter at all.

Causes a lot of problems. Same thing with Trump. If anything, they should have a staff managing the account; and if they really need to fulfill the need of shitposting, it should be done in a private Facebook account or something not open to the general public.

Hopefully the worst of all this is over, at least with the production issues Tesla was having. I see their new car all around the area anymore.

Don't know enough about the SEC other than I recall a stock broker telling me they worked very slowly. I suppose it's as if agents take Ambien during working hours. :pFor Teslas sake hope that is the true.

Its an electric car company. People want them to fail for political reasons unfortunately.

Its an electric car company. People want them to fail for political reasons unfortunately.

That isn't it. In fact, Saudis just invested in Tesla. Also, an electric car is only as clean as its energy supply. Which is often coal. Australia, Germany, China, tons of American states and other countries, will be using coal to charge many of their electrics.

Electric cars also get a tax credit. Plus Tesla is subsidized. Don't give me that conspiracy shit.

That isn't it. In fact, Saudis just invested in Tesla. Also, an electric car is only as clean as its energy supply. Which is often coal. Australia, Germany, China, tons of American states and other countries, will be using coal to charge many of their electrics.

Makes sense that Saudis would want to invest in it as a hedge.

What you are saying about the energy supply for electricity is true but doesn't contradict what I said. The company still has potential to disrupt big oil and the auto industry, so obviously there is going to be a political agenda against it.

Back