Firefighter loses job over insensitive social media post

so does Alex Jones, Sean Hannity, and Gavin McInnes . Plenty of shitheads have a broad platform to speak from and the right to express it. This firefighter is held to a different standard of decency.

Sorry, I'm not down for people getting fired or losing their jobs because of the internet mob.

I disagree that firefighters are held to a different standard. Who gives a shit what they think?

They most of all, need the public's trust.

One far outweighs the other. Not much risk is being taken for canning a perceived racist. Celebs are the only ones who can really walk a fine line, because their fandom might actually outweigh the controversy. Just some dude working for a company though? See ya.

Key word.

"Precieved racist"

Believe it or not, some of us still believe in due process.

Many are familiar with my opinions on the 2nd amendment here. When I saw that red flag story, my first thought was that as long as he was given due process to defend himself against charges he is a imminent threat, I have no problem with those laws. The problem is that when they wrote the law in Maryland, they automatically seal the court proceeding. Due process in the dark, is no due process at all.

My point here, is that the average Americans threshold for authority is greatly increased by due process.

You want to hold people accountable for public statements, my opinion on that will be almost entirely based on the amount of due process given to the accused.

What I am seeing today, is lynchings. Not justice.

Something tells me Sarah Jeong wouldn't keep her job if she said those things against immigrants instead of white people.
corporations respond to market forces and public sentiment. If there was enough public outrage and subsequent effect on their revenue then she would be canned too. The ranks of white snowflakes demanding safe spaces is growing but not enough for anyone to take your "white genocide" movement seriously.

Firefighters on the other hand, are held to an entirely different standard.

He had to nice a gig to be posting things like that.

Say a Mexican or any immigrant dies while he's on duty in a situation where it looks like there was a chance they survived, it's going to reflect poorly on the city and look like he let it happen and they had evidence he felt that way. Thing is he can do his best and it wouldn't matter, he put the idea out there for the public to see and it would become a liability when firemen/police face enough judgement already while putting their lives at risk.

Dude, this is Joe blow. The only reason anyone knows about him, is because he got fired.

No one but a few hundred people would know about this, if they didn't fire him.

As far as the city covering their ass. I don't think anyone would care if they suspended this guy for these comments. It's when you go after someone's lively hood, that this becomes controversial.

Something tells me Sarah Jeong wouldn't keep her job if she said those things against immigrants instead of white people.

It's OK to be white.

It's so fucking sad, that this is something that actually needs to be said these days.

This needs to be said, because of people like her.

If I'm going to be pissed off at the things some fruitloop leftist college professors say against white people, I probably need to feel similarly about this. The stuff they say is worse, and they don't get fired enough, but hopefully that changes.

Like, if a college Professor said "We should put deer feeders with beef jerky in them outside the polling stations to attract Trump fans, and then blow them away. Make it a new hunting season." I would want that person fired.

Key word.

"Precieved racist"

Believe it or not, some of us still believe in due process.

LOL, c'mon. You're not going to give everyone a trial over tweets, and companies aren't required to. Nobody is going to jail here, and the comments are not in question. Nobody is making a story up about him saying things. He said them. Joke or not, it doesn't matter. Nobody is going to decipher the percentage of people who are and aren't offended by the joke. You couldn't begin to gauge the damage it could potentially do. They're just going to cut the cord and be done with it, and they have the right.

Be an edgelord at your own risk.

If I'm going to be pissed off at the things some fruitloop leftist college professors say against white people, I probably need to feel similarly about this. The stuff they say is worse, and they don't get fired enough, but hopefully that changes.

Like, if a college Professor said "We should put deer feeders with beef jerky in them outside the polling stations to attract Trump fans, and then blow them away. Make it a new hunting season." I would want that person fired.

Why though?

Because it hurt your feelz, or because it is dangerous.

If it is because you think it is dangerous, we will have to agree to disagree.

If it is because it hurts your feels, free speech isn't a safe place.

He should be fired. How can you be a civil servant making these remarks?

I would be concerned as to what biases he may display on the job. He is responsible for people's lives, and if he does not value each of those lives then he shouldn't be in a position to protect them.

Dude, this is Joe blow. The only reason anyone knows about him, is because he got fired.

No one but a few hundred people would know about this, if they didn't fire him.

As far as the city covering their ass. I don't think anyone would care if they suspended this guy for these comments. It's when you go after someone's lively hood, that this becomes controversial.
Sure nationally no one knows him, but his community would definitely hear about this. I mean someone obviously had to have seen it to begin with.

LOL, c'mon. You're not going to give everyone a trial over tweets, and companies aren't required to. Nobody is going to jail here, and the comments are not in question. Nobody is making a story up about him saying things. He said them. Joke or not, it doesn't matter. Nobody is going to decipher the percentage of people who are and aren't offended by the joke. You couldn't begin to gauge the damage it could potentially do. They're just going to cut the cord and be done with it, and they have the right.

Be an edgelord at your own risk.

You act like taking someone's lively hood is no big deal.

Sure nationally no one knows him, but his community would definitely hear about this. I mean someone obviously had to have seen it to begin with.

Lol, the 1950's called, and want their rotary phone back.

10 vocal activists does not make the community.

Why though?

Because it hurt your feelz, or because it is dangerous.

If it is because you think it is dangerous, we will have to agree to disagree.

If it is because it hurts your feels, free speech isn't a safe place.

Because it shows they shouldn't be in a position to do what they are doing. How does a misdemeanor charge from when you were very young mean you can't be a good cop 10 years later, or a FF for that matter? It really doesn't, but they pretend that means your character just isn't what it should be.

That's much weaker to judge character on than "What the person said last night."

He should be fired. How can you be a civil servant making these remarks?

I would be concerned as to what biases he may display on the job. He is responsible for people's lives, and if he does not value each of those lives then he shouldn't be in a position to protect them.

But no we need to assume it's just a joke and he doesn't mean it because of ...

Its OK to be white? Is that what were going with here? Or because we're infringing on his edgelord rights?

You act like taking someone's lively hood is no big deal.

Over offensive comments that reflect poorly on a company or service?

Cry me a fuckin' river. People have personal responsibility for the actions they take that may reflect poorly on their employers, on or off the clock.

Because it shows they shouldn't be in a position to do what they are doing. How does a misdemeanor charge from when you were very young mean you can't be a good cop 10 years later, or a FF for that matter? It really doesn't, but they pretend that means your character just isn't what it should be.

And that would be fine, if we had any evidence this wasn't a joke in bad taste.

I agree that being a public servant probably isn't the best profession for someone who hates part of the population.

I don't agree that this tweet proves that is who this guy is.

Back