Firefighter loses job over insensitive social media post

Lol, the 1950's called, and want their rotary phone back.

10 vocal activists does not make the community.
I lived over 20 years in another Texas town nearly identical in size to Bellaire, you have no idea how fast word travels in a place like that nor how many bored housewives gossip out of boredom. This didn't need to be on the news for the town to hear about it. With a 10% Mexican population, there absolutely would have been people pissed off and he would definitely have been many positions to assist them.

At least when the left wing nut jobs post shit on facebook they mean it

“I hope people call me insane... (laughing emojis).. wouldn’t that just be a big ball of irony? Yeah.. I’m insane, but the only thing you people do after these shootings is ‘hopes and prayers’.. or ‘keep you in my thoughts’... every time... and wonder why these keep happening…,”

So you're going with the things you say, publicly, aren't reflective of your actual beliefs.

Next things you do won't matter either.

I lived over 20 years in another Texas town nearly identical in size to Bellaire, you have no idea how fast word travels in a place like that nor how many bored housewives gossip out of boredom. This didn't need to be on the news for the town to hear about it. With a 10% Mexican population, there absolutely would have been people pissed off and he would definitely have been many positions to assist them.

Fair point. Some small towns still have a community, although I'm not sure size is determinate.

And that would be fine, if we had any evidence this wasn't a joke in bad taste.

What does that even matter? Is everyone obliged to find it funny if it was a joke, or not have it reflect on the type of person he is? You can't possibly prove how he really feels, nor is anyone gonna undertake the futile effort to prove such a thing.

Lets turn this around though. What if somebody made a bad joke that reflected poorly on their employer and did effect business. Should they be obliged to hang on to the person, even though it's hurting them? Where are their rights in this scenario?

And that would be fine, if we had any evidence this wasn't a joke in bad taste.

I agree that being a public servant probably isn't the best profession for someone who hates part of the population.

I don't agree that this tweet proves that is who this guy is.

Ok.

I edited the comment, btw. Nothing really changed.

But no we need to assume it's just a joke and he doesn't mean it because of ...

Its OK to be white? Is that what were going with here? Or because we're infringing on his edgelord rights?

Lol I would hate to be the Fire Chief who had to explain his "screw up". People get denied being able to join the military because of statements they make. People have got discharged from military service because of statements they made on social media.

The problem is that people are bold, and think they can just say what they want. You can very well be great in the capacity of your job, but as a top executive I could see how they wouldn't want to risk it. Part of being a civil servant is establishing trust with the community. Don't make the department look bad. His name is attached to them.

What does that even matter? Is everyone obliged to find it funny if it was a joke, or not have it reflect on the type of person he is? You can't possibly prove how he really feels, nor is anyone gonna undertake the futile effort to prove such a thing.

Lets turn this around though. What if somebody made a bad joke that reflected poorly on their employer and did effect business. Should they be obliged to hang on to the person, even though it's hurting them? Where are their rights in this scenario?

Just to be clear. You are advocating for guilty until proven innocent?

A private employer? They don't even have to give a reason. How many states in the US are at will employment?

A union or government employee? Sorry, they have certain legal protections.

Fair point. Some small towns still have a community, although I'm not sure size is determinate.
Determinate of what? Are you trying to argue there's a chance no one would have heard or cared about this? Shit the town I'm from has multiple places online to bitch about different businesses and people, it's all there is to do in a place that size.

My family knows the entire police department on top of most of the fire department.

Just to be clear. You are advocating for guilty until proven innocent?

He is guilty of making those comments. His guilt is not in question. He was fired for those comments. It doesn't matter if it was a joke.

So you're going with the things you say, publicly, aren't reflective of your actual beliefs.

Next things you do won't matter either.

Lol, no.

I'm going with, sometimes people make off color jokes.

I'm also going with the idea that I would rather 9 racists go unpunished, if it prevents 1 innocent person from being tarred and feathered.

Determinate of what? Are you trying to argue there's a chance no one would have heard or cared about this? Shit the town I'm from has multiple places online to bitch about different businesses and people, it's all there is to do in a place that size.

My family knows the entire police department on top of most of the fire department.

I'm trying to argue that in 90% of America, their is no community, while conceding that this still leaves 10% that does.

He is guilty of making those comments. His guilt is not in question. He was fired for those comments. It doesn't matter if it was a joke.

It does, because only fascists think a joke should have consequences.

Despite it being a joke, it's no laughing matter when someone alluded to hunting humans as if they were game . That is pretty bad.

Hmmmm.

I'm trying to argue that in 90% of America, their is no community, while conceding that this still leaves 10% that does.
So? How does that have anything to do with your statement that no one would know about this guy? I don't buy that it wouldn't be a problem in 90% of the country, and it is a problem even if this is just in the 10% you pulled out of your ass.

Depends on the consequences you're talking about. Getting fired for being a poor representative of your employer is not fascism, ya drama queen.

If he was being arrested for it, you might have a point here. He's not though, so you don't.

So? How does that have anything to do with your statement that no one would know about this guy? I don't buy that it wouldn't be a problem in 90% of the country, and it is a problem even if this is just in the 10% you pulled out of your ass.

I tried to concede this ground to you.

Not sure what more you want here.

It would have consequences if they failed to save a Mexican while he was on duty even if he did his best. The sentiment and hate is out there, no one says some shit like that publicly as an innocent goof they don't mean in some way.

Depends on the consequences you're talking about. Getting fired for being a poor representative of your employer is not fascism, ya drama queen.

If he was being arrested for it, you might have a point here. He's not though, so you don't.

How is making a joke being a poor representative of your employer?

See, this keeps on coming down to the fact, that a offensive statement does not make a racist.

I love Nazi memes. I think they are hilarious. Does that make me a anti-semite?

I tried to concede this ground to you.

Not sure what more you want here.
You still seemed contentious like it was half credit or something. I'm not really looking for anything, just conversating and stating my perspective on the matter. I agree with you that this is America and it's important we have free speech, you can say whatever you want and at the end of the day it's all good.

You're the only poster that annoys the hell out of me in one post and then has me wishing I could like a post more than once in another thread 5 minutes later. I respect that.

Back