Karate blocks against punches/weapons

What the hell is with all these TMA bullshido questions on an mma forum. UFC1 already proved TMA's worthlessness. Hell so did any Gracie in action video.

It does. But it's actually a down to earth combat system. Well, as far as people have reconstructed it at least. The point is that mysticism doesn't make a style ineffective and lack of mysticism doesn't make a style magically effective. Combat styles are a product of their times and cultures.

What the hell is with all these TMA bullshido questions on an mma forum. UFC1 already proved TMA's worthlessness. Hell so did any Gracie in action video.
tell that to the numerous UFC fighters with advanced ranks in TMAs...in fact I’m pretty sure there’s a whole thread just for karateka in MMA.

What’s with so many meathead bros on this Mixed MARTIAL ARTs forum with no actual martial arts experience?

i wonder if in general, some of the exaggerated movements in various TMAs are meant to "over train" the technique to reinforce it? like if you were working on sprinting 100m, you'd sprint to 120m...if that makes sense. also, Hotora86's thread here may help

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/psa-karate-blocks-are-not-blocks.3816397/
549907.jpg

tell that to the numerous UFC fighters with advanced ranks in TMAs...in fact I’m pretty sure there’s a whole thread just for karateka in MMA.

What’s with so many meathead bros on this Mixed MARTIAL ARTs forum with no actual martial arts experience?
This is a forum for mixed martial arts, not TMA. You are right, many do have advanced belts in TMA, yet, so few of the techniques come out under real pressure. Sure I can find a highlight of Machida doing a number of Karate moves, but that is just one man. One man does not prove anything.

yet, so few of the techniques come out under real pressure. Sure I can find a highlight of Machida doing a number of Karate moves, but that is just one man. One man does not prove anything.

You obviously don't know what you're looking at if you think Machida is the only one using TMA techniques in MMA.

This is a forum for mixed martial arts, not TMA. You are right, many do have advanced belts in TMA, yet, so few of the techniques come out under real pressure. Sure I can find a highlight of Machida doing a number of Karate moves, but that is just one man. One man does not prove anything.
yes mixed martial arts, meaning martial arts discussion.

but you're clearly quite ignorant on the topic of actual martial arts, probably little more than a brawler.

You obviously don't know what you're looking at if you think Machida is the only one using TMA techniques in MMA.
his view on it is likely if it doesn’t look like it does in kata/form it’s not a TMA technique or if it’s shared with other ‘non-TMAs’ it doesn’t count as a TMA technique

I obviously said that he was using SOME moves. Not that all of his moves were only from TMA. The point of my post was that almost none of karate comes out in MMA.

his view on it is likely if it doesn’t look like it does in kata/form it’s not a TMA technique or if it’s shared with other ‘non-TMAs’ it doesn’t count as a TMA technique
If it does not bear some resemblance to the original technique, are you even doing that technique and not something else?

If it does not bear some resemblance to the original technique, are you even doing that technique and not something else?
there's a difference between looking exactly like it does in kata/form and bearing some resemblance.

if you'd actually like to discuss and understand I'm happy to discuss, but honestly it seems like you're only pushing looking to find a technicality, or a slip up in the way one of us words something to try and go 'aha! got you!' and then when we clarify you'll just say something along the lines of 'that's not what you said' and claim victory.

the karate culture channel on youtube has a very good video highlighting karate techniques that are used in katas and drills, being done in MMA, as well as other styles like wrestling, and judo.

never back down 3 while yes it is a movie has a scene that shows how kata movements look when being done to a person.

I had seen that, too. The question is the following. Karate as well as Kung Fu. They are style that were created based on and not experienced with real fights.
Such as Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Muaythai. That's why his techniques look good in theory but in practice they do not work.

If a karateka is to defend a kick of a muaythai fighter with the arm he will keep the arm billed

I had seen that, too. The question is the following. Karate as well as Kung Fu. They are style that were created based on and not experienced with real fights.
Such as Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Muaythai. That's why his techniques look good in theory but in practice they do not work.
what in the world are you talking about?
You clearly don’t know anything about martial arts history.

1. Karate was based on real combat experience
2. BJJ was adapted from judo, a watered down sporty variant of traditional jiu jistu which has its roots as far as I’m aware in daito ryu akikijiu jitsu...which I believe also spawned modern aikido...

What’s with people who know nothing of the topic of TMAs trying to talk like they’re experts?

Not you and that cheating JUDO came from JIU JITSU. If you doubt it, just read the KODOKA book written by Jigoro Kano himself.
According to KARATE did not evolve from actual combat.
And I talked about Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and not Japanese Jiu Jitsu

i wonder if in general, some of the exaggerated movements in various TMAs are meant to "over train" the technique to reinforce it? like if you were working on sprinting 100m, you'd sprint to 120m...if that makes sense. also, Hotora86's thread here may help

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/psa-karate-blocks-are-not-blocks.3816397/

This is what I was told by my master. He said if I narrowed down the form to movements much less exaggerated I would never learn anything. But he did not mean mind learning he meant body learning.

I blocked kick in a real fight and it will happen

I don't think this is accurate at all. In fact over time there seems to have been found a place for almost every kind of TMA to work in MMA..... Yes you have to train for real fighting- especially sparring but otherwise there is room for some of all of it.

Not you and that cheating JUDO came from JIU JITSU. If you doubt it, just read the KODOKA book written by Jigoro Kano himself.
According to KARATE did not evolve from actual combat.
And I talked about Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and not Japanese Jiu Jitsu
where are you getting this idea that karate has no actual roots in combat?
You realize that random people often attacked well known karateka on the streets to make a name for themselves well into the 20th century right?

https://web-japan.org/kidsweb/virtual/judo/judo01.html

http://www.worldjudoday.com/en/The-History-of-Judo-55.html

Every source I’ve seen puts jiu jitsu as the core foundation of judo, though admittedly if Kano wrote a book on judo I have not read it.

what in the world are you talking about?
You clearly don’t know anything about martial arts history.

1. Karate was based on real combat experience
2. BJJ was adapted from judo, a watered down sporty variant of traditional jiu jistu which has its roots as far as I’m aware in daito ryu akikijiu jitsu...which I believe also spawned modern aikido...

What’s with people who know nothing of the topic of TMAs trying to talk like they’re experts?
1. Correct. Look up Motobu Choki, karate's version of a young Miyamoto Musashi (rough and tumble, loves to fight thus bad rep within genteel MA circles0.
2. Wrong. BJJ is from Judo, Judo is from Kito ryu. Kito ryu (verified pre-1860 lineage) is not related to Daito ryu (contentious pre-1860 lineage) in terms of jujutsu. Rather, a branch of aikido, tomiki, stemmed from judo.

Wrong. Many styles were based on real fights. The problem is with the succeeding generations who didn't fought and yet still taught the style, not knowing the intricacies of fighting. They then had to resort to bullshit explanations to impress potential students. One can find vestiges of fighting in a style's traditional kata (aka those passed unchanged for 3 generations or more).
You can see this "not working" shit happen if BJJ were to altogether stop rolling and competing for three generations, and delete all visual records of it being used in a fight..

Back