Opinion Should People Have More Respect for the President?

Should People Have More Respect for the President?

• Total voters
So I just saw the attack that Governor Ron DeSantis launched on President Biden and it kind of made me sad and pining for a gentler time in our discourse. It made me realize that the harsh rhetoric coming to and from the Trump White House set a bad precedent and is continuing on and I don't really think it's a good thing. I have my own issues with Biden, but I think public officials like DeSantis should have more respect for the President. For DeSantis to unleash an unwarranted attack on our President because things aren't going too well in his own state right now is just really sad to me.

And I would hope that if a respectful Republican ever gets elected again who doesn't act like Trump, that we would treat him in kind, even if we disagree with his policies and whatnot. But perhaps that ship has sailed, sadly...

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, facing a surge in COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations, delivered extraordinary and impassioned remarks on the issue Wednesday — attacking President Joe Biden.

He made a litany of accusations against the president, many of them amped up versions of what Biden or his administration has said and done that have an element of truth but DeSantis depicted as ineptitude, incompetence or maliciousness.

The governor concluded his 4 1/2-minute broadside with this message to the president: “So why don’t you do your job? Why don’t you get this border secure, and until you do that, I don’t want to hear a blip about COVID from you. Thank you.”

https://news.yahoo.com/florida-gov-desantis-attacks-biden-192400288.html

Desantis is just blaming his delta variant problems on Biden while running his state like the pandemic is over. Let him talk so people can hear his stupidity.

When-Kramer-Gets-Spat.gif

This, and it started with a show(s) like The Daily Show, which became the main source of news for a whole generation. And while there were partisan/bias personalities on both sides prior to The Daily Show, it was the first that made consumption of news/politics turn the end result of that consumption into a punch line/joke. By turning it into a joke, you have to make one side, with no middle ground, so that the joke is more effective

Moreover, this coincides with high-speed internet taking off, which further pushed partisanship, as it became easy to find group think on the internet and eventually social media.

So increased group think/partisanship converging with turning politics/news in general into a joke

LOLZ. Started with the Daily Show? A comedy show? Try Rush Limbaugh.

Gotta love how you had four years of Trump being called everything in the book by elected officials, but now is the time for to be more respectful to the President. LOL.

Desanitis was right, BTW. The border and COVID are related issues, and it's rich that Biden is criticizing the handling of a pandemic by a governor, as he lets god knows how many infected people into the country every single day.

I do mention partisan personalities though (rush), and the point was turning news consumption into a comedy show.

derp

There was nothing comical about Rush Limbaugh. He was dead serious. You are trying to conflate a comedy show that has members from either party on and the goal of just having a laugh and a racist asshole who just wants to stir up shit and cause people to get mad.

There was nothing comical about Rush Limbaugh. He was dead serious. You are trying to conflate a comedy show that has members from either party on and the goal of just having a laugh and a racist asshole who just wants to stir up shit and cause people to get mad.

I never said there was anything comical about Rush though, in fact, I was implying the opposite. What are you talking about?

So I just saw the attack that Governor Ron DeSantis launched on President Biden and it kind of made me sad and pining for a gentler time in our discourse. It made me realize that the harsh rhetoric coming to and from the Trump White House set a bad precedent and is continuing on and I don't really think it's a good thing. I
lol now youre realizing this? you had your chance to play nice, shake hands and say "good game" during Trump's presidency but you didnt.
Democrats caused this tension and now you cant expect republicans to shake hands and say "good game” now that Biden is in office.

If Republicans comply with what Youre asking, the. you'd be absolutely conning them, because the next time a R president steps into office, you'd be back at it with your harsh rhetoric despite the fact that youre calling for kindness and respect since a Dem is in office at the moment

Last edited:
It started coming from the right* when Obama was in office, even though Obama conducted himself with decorum. The bullshit like a sitting Congressman (Joe Wilson) shouting "you lie!" at Obama during the State of the Union address. Shouldn't do that on either side. But it really ramped up under Trump because of the way he acted and the response he would get. Just feel like the precedent that was set under him has sent us on a bad path. The President should act a certain way and compose himself and people should have respect for the position not only domestic but internationally.

*There were comedians and other liberals who were disrespectful to W. Bush in the 2000s, but not elected officials at the time. W.'s policies were exceptionally bad and he was kind of embarrassing in the way he carried himself. His father knew how to act.
and Dems were cheering people throwing Shoes at George W, calling him satan, and constantly bashing calling him an idiot on TV (Although I agree)

This lack of respect thing started with Dems

At one time there was awe of Presidents. At least that as the case when I was growing up in the 80s. Being President was a position that was held in high regard. A President giving a speech, or coming to visit as area was big news.

I felt that changed during the W Bush Presidency. The attacks against the President became personal, often times vulgar, from the press, other politicians, and regular people.

It isn't something that I like to see. It would be better I suspect if people cared a little less about politics and had higher regards for government.

Times have changed though. The press has changed greatly. Peoples ability to express their personal opinions and share them with the world is easily done. For many politics is entertainment. It is hard to imagine that we will be going back to a time that used to be.

There are some pretty good examples in this thread.

Seems like an "All of the Above" type of answer

The way the Democrats acted after Trump got elected set the bar so low. Say what you want about him, but Pelosi, Schiff, the Squad, etc. can't use him as an excuse for their actions. There really is no grounds to stand on and complain about the lack of respect for Biden, after how we saw the media and Democrats act for the past 4 years. On top of that, Biden himself said he wanted to take Trump outside and kick the shit out of him. Where was his respect?

So I just saw the attack that Governor Ron DeSantis launched on President Biden and it kind of made me sad and pining for a gentler time in our discourse. It made me realize that the harsh rhetoric coming to and from the Trump White House set a bad precedent and is continuing on and I don't really think it's a good thing. I have my own issues with Biden, but I think public officials like DeSantis should have more respect for the President. For DeSantis to unleash an unwarranted attack on our President because things aren't going too well in his own state right now is just really sad to me.

And I would hope that if a respectful Republican ever gets elected again who doesn't act like Trump, that we would treat him in kind, even if we disagree with his policies and whatnot. But perhaps that ship has sailed, sadly...

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, facing a surge in COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations, delivered extraordinary and impassioned remarks on the issue Wednesday — attacking President Joe Biden.

He made a litany of accusations against the president, many of them amped up versions of what Biden or his administration has said and done that have an element of truth but DeSantis depicted as ineptitude, incompetence or maliciousness.

The governor concluded his 4 1/2-minute broadside with this message to the president: “So why don’t you do your job? Why don’t you get this border secure, and until you do that, I don’t want to hear a blip about COVID from you. Thank you.”

https://news.yahoo.com/florida-gov-desantis-attacks-biden-192400288.html
Biden has been making DeSantis the subject of many sound bites over the past week. He is giving Ron lots of free airtime. It reads as if Biden is afraid to see him as an opponent in 2024.

Let it go, Joe, let your proxies go after Florida Man. Be president.

Back