anybody seen Leave The World Behind?

Haven’t seen it but heard they whiffed the ending. Seems to be on par for Netflix shows…

Yeah outside of some cheesy shit and a sequence that seemed totally forced and out of place, movie did a decent job building up the suspense and tension...then completely botched it.

Think I'll read the novel for comparison, because I think the premise was there but might not have transferred to film.

Yeah outside of some cheesy shit and a sequence that seemed totally forced and out of place, movie did a decent job building up the suspense and tension...then completely botched it.

Think I'll read the novel for comparison, because I think the premise was there but might not have transferred to film.
Going into the final scenes I thought they were going to go for the dark ending, having a shootout with the dads/Kevin Bacon character, having the deer attack Julia Roberts/the one daughter, etc etc. I didn't hate the ending, I thought it was a bit silly that the survivalist would all the sudden change his mind and hand over medicine in exchange for useless money but I guess you could say he sympathized with the guy trying to help his kid.

Going into the final scenes I thought they were going to go for the dark ending, having a shootout with the dads/Kevin Bacon character, having the deer attack Julia Roberts/the one daughter, etc etc. I didn't hate the ending, I thought it was a bit silly that the survivalist would all the sudden change his mind and hand over medicine in exchange for useless money but I guess you could say he sympathized with the guy trying to help his kid.

The fucking final deer scene was beyond stupid.

What was awesome though was when mom accidentally turned on the outside floodlights at night and you suddenly saw the herd of deer but she had her back to the window and then turned the lights back off.

Julia Roberts character is written like the Sandra Bullock character from crash. I was laughing in the first 30 minutes when she came off with the "you people" talk. If it was more subtle it would have been effective. Ethan Hawke literally gives a speech at the end that seems like it was pulled from last months south park special about how hes a worthless man who cant do anything himself. It was hilarious.
Spot on about the worthless man speech. Also, Julia Roberts screeching and flailing at at the evil, murderous deer...yikes.

The fucking final deer scene was beyond stupid.

What was awesome though was when mom accidentally turned on the outside floodlights at night and you suddenly saw the herd of deer but she had her back to the window and then turned the lights back off.
I was a bit confused on the animal aspect in general. The one brief radio broadcast mentioned that migration patterns were getting messed up but I don't get what was going on with the deer. Yeah the scene with the outside lights reflecting off all the deer eyes in the yard was sweet.

Spot on about the worthless man speech. Also, Julia Roberts screeching and flailing at at the evil, murderous deer...yikes.
I mean the dude was worthless in this environment. He was a college professor in a subject that had no use in this scenario. He admitted he had no tech knowledge nor did it seem like he had anything to offer to the situation (other than being a counter to the paranoid mom.) The two other adult men in the movie had the most to offer in this scenario so people can't act like this was a MAN BAD WOMAN GOOD type movie.

I hate how many Netflix films do this. Good build up, solid story and premise then just completely lack luster end.

It's not a WOKE movie

It's about the polarizing and divisiveness in America that runs along race/identity (tension between Julia Roberts and the kid), class (rental family vs resident family), politics (super liberal Ethan Hawke vs Kevin Bacon character) that threatens to destabilize future generations (kids getting lost and sick) national identity and global resilience

the deer represent our frightful nature and herd mentality

It's a less-than-subtle message that we are not far off from fracturing into anarchy given the misinformation and media and social silos we live in

however the movie does not account for the tribal element of the human psyche. we would rather tolerate tyranny than absolute freedom and there will be fascism in America before anarchy

It's not a WOKE movie

It's about the polarizing and divisiveness in America that runs along race/identity (tension between Julia Roberts and the kid), class (rental family vs resident family), politics (super liberal Ethan Hawke vs Kevin Bacon character) that threatens to destabilize future generations (kids getting lost and sick) national identity and global resilience

the deer represent our frightful nature and herd mentality

It's a less-than-subtle message that we are not far off from fracturing into anarchy given the misinformation and media and social silos we live in

however the movie does not account for the tribal element of the human psyche. we would rather tolerate tyranny than absolute freedom and there will be fascism in America before anarchy
<WellThere>

I was a bit confused on the animal aspect in general. The one brief radio broadcast mentioned that migration patterns were getting messed up but I don't get what was going on with the deer. Yeah the scene with the outside lights reflecting off all the deer eyes in the yard was sweet.

I mean the dude was worthless in this environment. He was a college professor in a subject that had no use in this scenario. He admitted he had no tech knowledge nor did it seem like he had anything to offer to the situation (other than being a counter to the paranoid mom.) The two other adult men in the movie had the most to offer in this scenario so people can't act like this was a MAN BAD WOMAN GOOD type movie.

The flamingos in the pool made sense, also had you wondering what the fuck was going on so terribly down south to chase them off.

Totally agree on Ethan Hawke breaking down, he basically stated for all his education, good looks and privilege he had no real life skills, meanwhile the blue collar guy filled the role of "old Wiseman" both to Hawke and Ali's character, and here I was thinking Netfix was going to make Bacon the/a bad guy....

I haven't watched it. Can someone give an example of how it's racist to white people? I don't doubt TV can be woke and retarded like the hbo version of the watchmen.
Might be some spoilers......I wouldn’t argue it’s woke, although I can see why some people say it is....but it does not portray the white people in a good light. The wife (Julia Roberts) is a negative Karen who is distrustful of the black home owners. Although she would be down for the dick in one scene, but black man is the one that says no lmao. The husband (Ethan Hawke) is a useless twat who is also a coward weakling reliant on his devices. The Son is a dick, who jerks off to pics he took of the homeowners black daughter. The daughter lives in tv land obsessed with the TV show Friends. Another white character in Kevin Bacon, somehow lives in the same rich community and is a redneck prepper, who is self serving. (I live in the area in the movie, no one like that lives anywhere near the million dollar homes) Meanwhile, the black Homeowner is rich, handsome, the only one with brains and morals. He is better than anyone else in the movie as a human BY FAR. His daughter says plenty of things that are anti white, like “Don’t trust white people”, “The white lady has no chill and the Dad wants to fuck me”.

I actually enjoyed the movie but many will find it too preachy or woke. Many will hate the last 10 minutes. But these movies are my cup of tea.

I liked it a lot. The end was a little abrupt but I had fun watching it.

The flamingos in the pool made sense, also had you wondering what the fuck was going on so terribly down south to chase them off.

Totally agree on Ethan Hawke breaking down, he basically stated for all his education, good looks and privilege he had no real life skills, meanwhile the blue collar guy filled the role of "old Wiseman" both to Hawke and Ali's character, and here I was thinking Netfix was going to make Bacon the/a bad guy....
They kept mentioning a environmental disaster down south. The oil spill was a motive. Kevin Bacon was not his brothers keeper. GH WAS. He was willing to do what it took to save the boy. Bacon was selfish, although he did have some knowledge. The animal aspect was something they should have explored more, maybe in an M Night way....it was creepy.

I thought it was ok, worth watching if you're bored.

But not anything to write home about.

I watched this movie "a good person" on prime last night. That was a good movie.

Fuck that movie and anyone involved in it.

Julia Roberts character is written like the Sandra Bullock character from crash. I was laughing in the first 30 minutes when she came off with the "you people" talk. If it was more subtle it would have been effective. Ethan Hawke literally gives a speech at the end that seems like it was pulled from last months south park special about how hes a worthless man who cant do anything himself. It was hilarious.

I'd watched that South Park special directly before so I found that especially funny.

Seemed like an interesting concept to begin with, but just ended up being nothing but a bunch of random ideas with no explanation for anything. Kinda reminded of the TV series Lost, that just set up all these cool ideas and never paid anything off. At the end I was like, what the heck did I just watch?

Two hours and 21 minutes of my life i will never get back. I was quick to dislike that fucking garbage.
Also, ending aside, what the fuck was with the akward rap music. Racist White chick into rap? For real?

The daughter asking Hawke to vape the weeds with her, then ask about fucking students and comment on his looks, seemed like she was trying to get back at "Karen"...

Then she pops off with "dude wants to fuck me" to her dad, like she was trying to manipulate him into kicking them out the house.

It was ok. Kind of made a meal out of the run time and missed opportunities to get really indepth wirh the subject matter.

The one throw away line people are debating is pretty comical considering the actual demographic needed to fortify or rebuild a modern tech based society.

Back