Henderson vs. Machida

lol

AfroWomanYouMad-GIF.gif

TheQuickStylist

I thought it was a good fight.

Machida may have engaged less than in previous fights but that's a testament to the variety of entries that Dan was using, all with the H-bomb perpetually cocked. Henderson consistently changed his approaches and I think that kept Machida from getting comfortable with timing an entry that would catch Dan while transitioning.

I think Hendo started with a lead leg kick to right hand, later he varied that by bringing the rear leg up in a skipping type of lead leg kick, later he had the fake right feint to set up real H-bomb and one or two other set ups. Different set ups, different ranges. Nothing predictable.

Given Machida's tendency to initiate attacks while his opponents are mid-movement, I don't think he ever got a firm grasp on Hendo's attacks or attacking range and was forced to maintain distance more than with previous opponents.

By contrast, in the 3rd round after the takedown Hendo played a more conservative game and Machida initiated plenty of exchanges then. He even changed his stance with more weight over the front leg and was trying to walk Hendo down.

Overall, I was pretty entertained by the fight. Not a lot of action but plenty of skill none the less.

Wow, gotta disagree with this pretty heavily. 95% of the time, Hendo attacked with his left leg or his right hand... and it was all to set up one punch. No left jab/hook, no rear kick (even feigning), no straights, no set ups for anything but one punch.

And you're praising Dan for being unpredictable?

Wow, gotta disagree with this pretty heavily. 95% of the time, Hendo attacked with his left leg or his right hand... and it was all to set up one punch. No left jab/hook, no rear kick (even feigning), no straights, no set ups for anything but one punch.

^^^ With me in 'jail,' you're now turning on yourselves..... :p

TheKarateStylist

Is it me or did he say Thiago doesn't count since he was only thinking of his UFC career?

^^^ There's a reason, but I dare not say.... was told by one of you 'FunPolice" brothern, to, "...tone it down." Let's just pretend I screwed up--which is acceptable to MMA writers which so heavily populate TSF planet....

TheKarateStylist

P.S. And thx--in advance--for doing so.... :D

Was pretty much how I expected it to go.

If people found it boring they should blame Hendo and his ability to eat big shots.
Few of the body knees broughy back flashes of Tito.

^^^ There's a reason, but I dare not say.... was told by one of you 'FunPolice" brothern, to, "...tone it down." Let's just pretend I screwed up--which is acceptable to MMA writers which so heavily populate TSF planet....

TheKarateStylist

P.S. And thx--in advance--for doing so.... :D

Pretend you screwed up? :rolleyes:

Was pretty much how I expected it to go.

If people found it boring they should blame Hendo and his ability to eat big shots.
Few of the body knees broughy back flashes of Tito.

85% of the big shots came at the final minute of the fight. Maybe I need to watch it again, I remember two knees that I would consider 'big shots' and not much else, maybe a punch on the ground when Dan was swept.

That's more than Dan landed though--- two punches to the face in the first and that's really all I can remember.

^^^ SINISTER, ARE YOU ON...? LOCK THREAD ALERT.... :icon_surp

TheKarateStylist

You know...if you dropped the goofy gimmick and just posted like a normal person who could admit to an occasional mistake, it would probably be a good thing.

85% of the big shots came at the final minute of the fight. Maybe I need to watch it again, I remember two knees that I would consider 'big shots' and not much else, maybe a punch on the ground when Dan was swept.

That's more than Dan landed though--- two punches to the face in the first and that's really all I can remember.

Lyoto actually landed a very solid left hand in the second round that got overlooked. He caught Dan coming in, and the camera angle wasn't good. But almost immediately after they separated, Dan was wearing a big shiny mouse under his right eye.

Lyoto also threw a lot of really solid body kicks. Much more Muay Thai in style than I'm used to seeing. One full on shin kick to the body in round two that knocked Dan's feet out from under him while he was trying to punch.

There was also a crazy fast head kick in round three, but I'm not sure if it landed clean. It was damn impressive, though.

Let's just say that all of the named techniques would have dropped Chito and call it a day.

Discipulus basically called it as I saw it.

It was those knees and the body kicks that I was mainly talking about.

Lyoto actually landed a very solid left hand in the second round that got overlooked. He caught Dan coming in, and the camera angle wasn't good. But almost immediately after they separated, Dan was wearing a big shiny mouse under his right eye.

Lyoto also threw a lot of really solid body kicks. Much more Muay Thai in style than I'm used to seeing. One full on shin kick to the body in round two that knocked Dan's feet out from under him while he was trying to punch.

There was also a crazy fast head kick in round three, but I'm not sure if it landed clean. It was damn impressive, though.

Let's just say that all of the named techniques would have dropped Chito and call it a day.

Eesh, I relaly gotta watch the fight... the only thing I could see dropping Machida in that whole fight was the kicks he was hitting dan with in round 3--- he did a mini-crane kick to Hendo's head and a hard roundhouse kick too. I don't remember these super strong punches.

I don't disagree with what you said but you're not exactly disagreeing with me either.

You're right that everything Dan threw started with the left leg followed by the right hand or was simply some variant of leading with the right hand. But there was plenty of variety in how he did it.

If that's what you're disagreeing with then ok.

You didn't consider the skipping left kick to be a different set up than the pure lead leg kick? Different range? Different entry? Etc. Or the lunging right hand feint to have different timing than when Dan committed to the right hand as the only movement?

Admittedly, I watched the fight afterward and had the benefit of rewinding frequently to observe how each exchange was initiated.

Back