“Rock ‘n’ Roll” HOF is a sham

It took them too damn long to induct Black Sabbath, that killed it for me.

The museum itself was fun when I visited though.

I’m not too in favor of this institute that started out decent but is now just trying way too hard to be hip. I just wonder why they don’t call it the music hall of fame or the pop hall of fame. I know it’s kind of pointless to try to put a lot of acts into a box, but there’s a lot of strange choices for inductees that have nothing to do with rock music. If they’re gonna have all these rap and pop acts then why don’t they induct any country or metal acts? I’d love to see a more legit HOF dedicated to rock music, not just something that has to include everyone one for fear of offending.

The majority of the people in this thread just don't understand what rock is, or for that matter what the hall of fame is - including yourself. Rock =/= Rock & Roll and It's called the Rock & Roll hall of fame.

Rock & Roll at it's core started with the emergence of the electric guitar, speeding up and loudening blues music.

Rock itself is a sub-genre of Rock & Roll. Pretty much any song or artist that generally follows the (Verse>Chorus>Verse>Chorus>Bridge>Chorus) structure could be included in this. Hip Hop and pop have just as much right to be included in the HoF as Led Zeppelin, Pearl jam, Def Leppard etc etc. (Also note that all of those bands listed are very, very much different.)

Point is the R&R HoF by definition is what you're asking for. A largely encompassing HoF for modern music, because anything (excluding less structed genres like EDM) that is popular you hear has roots in R&R.

Also, Also note: Who gives this much of a shit about being that inclusive? Who cares?

Bit of trivia for you guys. Without googling. Who’s the only artist to be inducted into the RnR HOF three separate times?
Michael Jackson. Once as part of the jackson 5, the second time as a solo artist, and the third for being the largest target of money-grubbing liars.

Yep!

Once with the Yardbirds
Once with Cream
Once as a solo artist.
Yeah clapton is the biggest music slut on earth.
It was like every band got a turn on the clapton train.

He is great and I love his old music though.

I’m not too in favor of this institute that started out decent but is now just trying way too hard to be hip. I just wonder why they don’t call it the music hall of fame or the pop hall of fame. I know it’s kind of pointless to try to put a lot of acts into a box, but there’s a lot of strange choices for inductees that have nothing to do with rock music. If they’re gonna have all these rap and pop acts then why don’t they induct any country or metal acts? I’d love to see a more legit HOF dedicated to rock music, not just something that has to include everyone one for fear of offending.
you're right, i forget who it was but it was some famous rocker who said rock and roll was created by people against institutions like the hall of fame. That's true. I still like the fact that some of the older pioneers got a career boost out of it. Back in the 80's, seeing Chuck, Richard, Bo Diddley getting props was always great. These days? I don't know, it's changed alot, for me most of the people that should get in are already in and Rock and Roll has been slow for almost 30 years now at least as far as what the artists themselves would call their music. I don't think many of the post 90's bands would classify themselves Rock and Roll, they think they're hipper than that.

I can’t believe they haven’t inducted Kate Bush. She's an avant garde creative legend. She should have been inducted years ago.

She's on the wrong side of the pond and never really crossed over here in the US. The US is fucked for women artists, just check all of the major female stars, very few write their own songs, very few are not in the Diva mold and very few don't have some scavenging, vulture assed old man who takes all the credit for making them. Tough business for women over here. Patrice Rushen, amongst others has had a very hard time because she just didn't fit the mold and Kate Bush is nowhere even close to the Diva mode. She's very bizarre, almost like a witch. I love some of her music very much and she is an entrancing performer.

I'm glad they got the E Street Band in there after Bruce was inducted as if he were a solo artist. There didn't seem to be a lot of problems between the band and Bruce about that, at least on the surface but the fans didn't like that. The proof is in the pudding, Bruce, without that band, usually didn't sell that well. In his bio, he states that he took a lot of pride in the fact that it was he, not anyone else, just him, who went to John Hammonds office and got the audition, it was his songs that got the deal. They tried to package him as a folk type artist on his first album, not really being at all familiar with the rabid fans that he made whenever he and the band would play, therefore, things took about three records before he, the band and the label made things work.

Didn't they just inducted Whitney Houston recently? Fuck that shit.

Bit of trivia for you guys. Without googling. Who’s the only artist to be inducted into the RnR HOF three separate times?

Paul McCartney? Beatles, wings, solo?

It’s called the hall of fame not hall of mediocrity. Sorry bro winger and good Charlotte aren’t getting in.

It’s called the hall of fame not hall of mediocrity. Sorry bro winger and good Charlotte aren’t getting in.
it's cute how some people are so delusional. There's a local guy here, a drummer from the band Redbone, sometimes I'll see him on facebook whining about not getting into the hall of fame before he dies. No one is mean enough to tell him he was in a band that was a one hit wonder. He's Indian too, so, of course logic ain't always our strong point.

Ike Turner was inducted by Phil Spector. Must have been a party that night.

Devo is nominated this year, and Pat Benatar has failed more than once. Say what you want about Pat, but she was groundbreaking and half the girls in America tried that haircut and style at least once in the 80's.

Ike Turner was inducted by Phil Spector. Must have been a party that night.
Ike wasn't that bad, Tina got a lot of mileage out of the women beater stuff. I'm sure he did it but honestly, it was nothing unusual about the era and place he came out of. It would be like kids saying they got asswhippings 50 years ago, it was normal. Not to say it was right, just the way we all were. It was a great marketing thing for Tina. Now Spektor was a true nutcase, in fact, many of the musical genius' were, comes with the territory.

Devo is nominated this year, and Pat Benatar has failed more than once. Say what you want about Pat, but she was groundbreaking and half the girls in America tried that haircut and style at least once in the 80's.

Deserves it more than Devo. That's for damn sure.

Back