• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Locked AEW CIX: It's SHOWTIME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conrad and Konnan both make really good points.

Conrad talked about WCW Nitro being exciting because you didn't know a single thing you were going to see that night, you went in and everything was a surprise, but with AEW they put the entire show on the poster, all the matches, everyone who is going to talk, so you know the entirety of the show before it starts, so fans will decide if they want to tune in or not cause they don't have to worry about missing anything big. That makes a ton of sense, that style doesn't create must see TV. If you tell people the entire show beforehand and someone doesn't like a couple of the wrestlers or match ups, it makes it really easy to tune out.

Konnan bringing up "they brought the Mexicans in, but who are they?" then asking AEW to "fill in the blanks" was dead on. That feud was basically AEW invited some guys from CMLL to sit ringside. Moxley shit talked them, they stormed the ring, BCC squashed them in a series of 3 matches. 9 out of 10 people who watched last night probably couldn't name who Mox and Claudio wrestled on Collision a day later.

427833092_7312794368768191_5854509799644657871_n.jpg

cm-punk-lies-cm-punk-tell-me.gif

Last edited:
One thing that's starting to grind my gears about AEW is them forcing the wrestlers to use their social media to promote every single episode of every show. Every time I click on Twitter i see most of the AEW roster "enthusiastically" posting about the upcoming episode.

Like this example from a few minutes ago looks dumb as fuck. Ricky Starks in kayfabe is a cocky dickhead that thinks AEW is holding him back and screwing him out of opportunities, he just lost his championship and 4 days later he's super duper excited about the next episode of Dynamite he's not promoted on lol

One thing that's starting to grind my gears about AEW is them forcing the wrestlers to use their social media to promote every single episode of every show. Every time I click on Twitter i see most of the AEW roster "enthusiastically" posting about the upcoming episode.

Like this example from a few minutes ago looks dumb as fuck. Ricky Starks in kayfabe is a cocky dickhead that thinks AEW is holding him back and screwing him out of opportunities, he just lost his championship and 4 days later he's super duper excited about the next episode of Dynamite he's not promoted on lol

AEW could use all of the help in promoting their shows as possible and Ricky is from Texas, though.

AEW could use all of the help in promoting their shows as possible and Ricky is from Texas, though.

Him and everyone else do it for shows where they're not from as well. Ricky is from New Orleans. He does call Texas a "second home" though because he trained to become a wrestler there and cut his teeth on the Texas indies.

AEW should probably fire their marketing department if they have to rely on heels being excited on Twitter to sell tickets.

Him and everyone else do it for shows where they're not from as well. Ricky is from New Orleans. He does call Texas a "second home" though because he trained to become a wrestler there and cut his teeth on the Texas indies.

AEW should probably fire their marketing department if they have to rely on heels being excited on Twitter to sell tickets.
AEW needs Gordon Ramsey and / or John Taffer to go over AEW's marketing department.

Watching the NJPW subreddit meltdown right now over this tweet is hilarious. The NJPW subreddit hates AEW more than probably even WWE fans on Twitter.
I'm gonna have to check this out.

Watching the NJPW subreddit meltdown right now over this tweet is hilarious. The NJPW subreddit hates AEW more than probably even WWE fans on Twitter.

The comments don't seem that bad. Most people just seem to think he would be better off going to WWE which I agree with.

The comments don't seem that bad. Most people just seem to think he would be better off going to WWE which I agree with.

I'm like a quarter through the thread and here's some of the brainrot that caught my eye so far:

Aside from what most others in the thread have already said, I think the worst thing New Japan can do going forward (aside from continuing to work with AEW)

I don't watch either but aew fans are way more annoying on the whole. It's very patronising to be like don't worry little buddy okada can still do a kingdom. On balance I'm happier he went to aew because it shows the wwe aren't really that serious about going after the Japanese market but once they leave Japan I don't give a shit. I'd rather no US wrestling discourse here at all frankly.

AEW constantly buries NJPW talent

I don't want to but it is really annoying when AEW fans come here just to talk about AEW whenever they get the chance. I don't wanna think about the "bangers" that they're fantasy booking with the Nooj wrestlers. No, Moxley doesn't deserve to be IWGP champ. I don't care what Kingston is doing in the middle of BOSJ.

Yeah, it's weird how many New Japan fans don't like the promotion that signed away 3/4s of their main event in the past year and will do so again at the soonest opportunity.

It doesn't help that the AEW sub is rubbing it in hard.

"The good guys win again".

Fucking vomit.

And they sit around and wonder why most of the IWC despises them and runs them out of communities. Already have a few in this thread coming over to gloat, and I'm sure they're over on the WWE sub rubbing it in too.

No, I get that and understand it's part of the business. I had no issue with AJ, Nakamura, and Kushida leaving for WWE. My specific issue with this is AEW is supposed to be a partner promotion, yet they actively work to hurt New Japan by signing away their top stars. You don't see New Japan rolling up to CMLL and going, "Soberano, Mistico, and Atlantis Jr., how would you like to have us double your salary while working a fourth of your current dates?" That's not how a partner should act.

They're being blamed because they're exploiting a "partnership" to lure away talent and actively harm their "partner" promotion. You don't think there were hallway conversations between Okada, Ospreay, Aussie Open, etc., and AEW officials when they worked AEW, talking about money, dates, and booking plans?

Here comes the Drizzlemaker.

AEW was not a great choice for Okada. I agree with the comments that allude to his aura being lost in a month. There are too many examples of this happening not to believe that this will not occur to Okada. Bryan Danielson, Jay White, Adam Cole, Kenny Omega, Miro, Moxley are just a few names I can think of. He will be poorly booked guaranteed.

From the NJPW standpoint I just don’t get it. They’ve lost so many stars to AEW and seemingly are ok with it. Yeah you can still get them for some big shows but this partnership seems very one sided.

You have to wonder if Okada still leaves had he not worked AEW and gotten his head turned by the guys there who totally weren't whispering in his ear. If you're New Japan after this, you immediately cut all contact with AEW and treat them as the hostile, rival promotion they are. I hope it doesn't take losing someone like Tsuji or Umino in two years for them to wake up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back