Beginner's (noob) questions thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This question might be borderline downs but i've read the Wendler 5/3/1 e-book and it wasn't in the FAQ's so i thought sherdog might be able to help me out.

Currently doing Wendler 5/3/1 with boring but big assistance on a 4 day split and was wondering if it would be better for switch up the assistance so i would be doing an excercise 2 times a week instead of just 1.

e.g. OHP 5/3/1 - BBB Bench assistance 5 x 10
Deadlift 5/3/1 - BBB Squat assistance 5 x 10.
Bench 5/3/1 - BBB Ohp assistance 5 x 10

Thanks in advance.

Personally, I'd stick with the program as outlined in the book.

My friend and I are doing the starting strength program, with very little lifting experience. I read through most of the squat section, but since I'm so green the book can really be overwhelming at times. Should I grit through it before we start Monday or is there a better way to go about it.

Do you mean grit through reading it? If so, yes. Just get familiar, and google terms you're unfamiliar with. Look for the Squat Rx series on Youtube to see video of proper form. Start out really light and work your way up. You're in good hands with SS.

This question might be borderline downs but i've read the Wendler 5/3/1 e-book and it wasn't in the FAQ's so i thought sherdog might be able to help me out.

Currently doing Wendler 5/3/1 with boring but big assistance on a 4 day split and was wondering if it would be better for switch up the assistance so i would be doing an excercise 2 times a week instead of just 1.

e.g. OHP 5/3/1 - BBB Bench assistance 5 x 10
Deadlift 5/3/1 - BBB Squat assistance 5 x 10.
Bench 5/3/1 - BBB Ohp assistance 5 x 10

Thanks in advance.

In 5/3/1 for football everyday has one 5/3/1 movement + another lift. Ie 5/3/1 press plus 5x 55% 65% 75% squat. Squat/clean 5/3/1 has bench at 5x 55% 65% 75%. Deadlift 5/3/1 has press @ 55% 65% 75%. Bench has squat at 5x 55% 65% 75%.

You can google the program...I believe that both tnation and BB.com have the weight portion of the book in their forums.

If you want to do BBB you would probably not want to do bbb squat on DL day.

My friend and I are doing the starting strength program, with very little lifting experience. I read through most of the squat section, but since I'm so green the book can really be overwhelming at times. Should I grit through it before we start Monday or is there a better way to go about it.

Read everything pertinent to the form. You do not need to memorize why Rip has you squatting that way, just get the form down.

The first time I read it I was overwhelmed due to the biomechanical explanations for everything, it's really much easier if you somewhat ignore the "technical stuff" and figure out how to get under the bar and move it in a vertical line while pushing your ass back, your knees out and your lower back arched (read: not in hyper extension or in flexion). Drive with the heel and utilize hip drive, Rip explains this well in the book (note: I have second edition, never read first edition).

+1 for SquatRX.

is it common for people who are short with not very long arms to struggle with deadlifts?

is it common for people who are short with not very long arms to struggle with deadlifts?

Post a form check, most likely some form issues based off your numbers (squat to dl ratio). DL is all about finding angles (back relative to the floor, how open your hips are prior to pulling etc) that are specific to your biomechanics.

If you're short...you're closer to the ground and the bar, with short arms you would probably have the same angles as just about everyone else. Again, post a form check and this will all be clarified.

I'm planning on doing HIIT twice a week in the morning. Is it recommended to eat something before hand, and if so how long should I wait to run after eating? I have almonds, protein shakes, cliff bars, whole milk and oatmeal in my kitchen.

This is the program I'm thinking of following.

251interval_big.gif

Also, I have started taking the prework out called jack3d. I have noticed it has helped me improve my lifts and be more focused in the gym. Would it be beneficial to me at all to take this for before my HIIT training? How about before BJJ training?

Thanks.

Why do you feel the need to max out? Deload and work your way back up, 3x5s or something.

Follow a tried and tested program and you'll make better progress and blow through 225.

Ok so I appreciate the advice but just 1 more question!

when doing 3x5 how heavy? I did 3x5 today with 185. Would you recommend that I go a bit heavier like 195? or lower. Thanks.

when doing 3x5 how heavy? I did 3x5 today with 185. Would you recommend that I go a bit heavier like 195? or lower. Thanks.

You did 185? Next session add 2.5kg/5lbs and do 3x5. If successful, the again add same weight next session. Do his until you can't complete your reps. Then drop the weight back to what you were doing a couple sessions ago and repeat.

Lately on here there was a discussion about low bar vs. high bar squats. Right now I squat low bar, powerlifter style. I feel like I've only just nailed the form now, but some of the talk about high bar squats made me think that maybe I should be incorporating them.

Right now I'm doing SS, so obviously squatting 3x a week. Would Rippetoe slay me where I stand (well probably yes) if I alternated high bar/low bar squats every other workout? Or is that just utter crazy talk?

Lately on here there was a discussion about low bar vs. high bar squats. Right now I squat low bar, powerlifter style. I feel like I've only just nailed the form now, but some of the talk about high bar squats made me think that maybe I should be incorporating them.

Right now I'm doing SS, so obviously squatting 3x a week. Would Rippetoe slay me where I stand (well probably yes) if I alternated high bar/low bar squats every other workout? Or is that just utter crazy talk?

I have no clue what Rip would say, but I would stick to one style while you're on a SS or 5x5 linear progression. High bar, low bar, whatever, it's probably best to stick to one style as you'll want to make linear gains each workout, and there will likely be a weight difference between the two squat styles. When you start a different program that's more flexible with assistance work, then start incorporating HB, LB, front, overhead, etc... squats as assistance as needed.

This:

You did 185? Next session add 2.5kg/5lbs and do 3x5. If successful, the again add same weight next session. Do his until you can't complete your reps. Then drop the weight back to what you were doing a couple sessions ago and repeat.

Is there a difference between a wide grip and a narrow grip ab roller?

Add 5 pounds each session.

Cool so I was able to do 190 3x3 I wasn't able to get in the extra 2 sets.

But I think by Wednesday I will probably be better mentally and physically for 3x5 190.

Hey well I'm making progress.

just to be specific your talking about two 5 pound plates witch equal to 10 pounds?

or are you talking about adding those two 2 and a half pound plates.

2x2.5lb plates. Start light, you want the workouts to be fairly easy the first few times. Start at 175x3x5 and add a total of 5lbs every workout; once you stall you may want to deload and start again, but since you're fairly experienced with the bench press it might be better to introduce some periodization to your lifting.

But I think by Wednesday I will probably be better mentally and physically for 3x5 190.

Well done, make sure you have enough rest between sets. The mental factor is a big player also.

For what its worth the majority of people list it as sets x reps e.g. 3x5 would be 3 sets of 5, just so you dont confuse people.

Even though you're not doing Starting Strength, you might find it helpful to read the section of the Wiki that does Frequently Asked Questions on the programme:

FAQ:The Program - Starting Strength Wiki

Especialy the questions on 'How much weight should I add workout to workout?' and 'My <insert exercise> is stuck now, and it won't go up. Why did I stall?' The whole page is absolute gold. I really didn't get the programme, linear progression, what to do when to stall, pretty much anything, until I read this.

As a taster:

How much weight should I add from workout to workout? How much weight should I add from workout to workout?

For young males that weigh between 150-200 lbs., deadlifts can move up 15-20 lbs. per workout, squats 10-15 lbs., with continued steady progress for 3-4 weeks before slowing down to half that rate. Bench presses, presses, and cleans can move up 5-10 lbs. per workout, with progress on these exercises slowing down to 2.5-5 lbs. per workout after only 2-3 weeks. Young women make progress on the squat and the deadlift at about the same rate, adjusted for bodyweight, but much slower on the press, the bench press, cleans, and assistance exercises.

Thanks guys. I think I got it down.

The issue was that I was being dumb and lifting heavy for a while and I just ended up stalling at 220. Then I decided to change my diet up to try and loose some weight and then I had to switch gyms to this one place that's curl monkey heaven. Sucks cus the squat rack is nonadjustable and the hooks on it are taller then me so its hard to freaking unrack the bitch. Anyways for the last two weeks I was just kinda in a crappy spot.

But now I'm adjusting well and I'm feeling stronger and healthier. I'm sure some of my idiotic newb questions probably annoy some but I really do appreciate all the help I can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back