Beginner's (noob) questions thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though you're not doing Starting Strength, you might find it helpful to read the section of the Wiki that does Frequently Asked Questions on the programme:

FAQ:The Program - Starting Strength Wiki

Especialy the questions on 'How much weight should I add workout to workout?' and 'My <insert exercise> is stuck now, and it won't go up. Why did I stall?' The whole page is absolute gold. I really didn't get the programme, linear progression, what to do when to stall, pretty much anything, until I read this.

As a taster:

How much weight should I add from workout to workout? How much weight should I add from workout to workout?

For young males that weigh between 150-200 lbs., deadlifts can move up 15-20 lbs. per workout, squats 10-15 lbs., with continued steady progress for 3-4 weeks before slowing down to half that rate. Bench presses, presses, and cleans can move up 5-10 lbs. per workout, with progress on these exercises slowing down to 2.5-5 lbs. per workout after only 2-3 weeks. Young women make progress on the squat and the deadlift at about the same rate, adjusted for bodyweight, but much slower on the press, the bench press, cleans, and assistance exercises.

That SS program is a really good program. I wish I would have known about it when I was 16 I would have never wasted my time with dumbbell curls. Luckily I met this one powerlifter last spring who showed me the light and convinced me to squat and deadlift. So I guess you can consider me a novice. My major issue is knowing when to RM on the big 3. Once a month? Twice a month? Once every two months etc. I'm just trying to tell myself that it's not necessary to lift heavy all the time. That has always been my issue.

I don't know the answer to that. Unless you are an expert, or have access to one, probably the best approach is to find a structured programme that was designed by experts, and which involves lifting heavy every now and then as part of the programme, e.g. Texas Method (where you try to set a PR on each of the main lifts on Friday, either for a single, double or triple), or, I think, 5/3/1, where you try to set a PR in the fourth week of each cycle (I think... not sure). That will give you good guidance on how often to go heavy.

Anyway, do read the Wiki page because there is a lot of stuff about how to judge if you should add weight, what to do when you stall, etc. It applies to other programmes, not just SS.

Hi fellas, I'm curious about the rest and recovery process.

I either train Kickboxing and BJJ, or weight training. I train VERY hard. I'm always pushing myself, and since I always push myself, I take the next day off. My diet is A-OK, so in that regard I'm fine. However, I feel very lazy on the off days since I do nothing more active than walk to my classes. So my question is, can I add LSD or HITT conditioning on the off days without affecting my muscle growth and recovery in a negative way?

In regards to the HITT and LSD, I've read the Conditioning FAQ and do consider myself passable on knowledgeable about that subject. I'd also like to point out, my goal is not weight loss. I will eat considerably more on the off days to supplement the calorie loss on the cardio days.

Thanks,
Jack

That SS program is a really good program. I wish I would have known about it when I was 16 I would have never wasted my time with dumbbell curls. Luckily I met this one powerlifter last spring who showed me the light and convinced me to squat and deadlift. So I guess you can consider me a novice. My major issue is knowing when to RM on the big 3. Once a month? Twice a month? Once every two months etc. I'm just trying to tell myself that it's not necessary to lift heavy all the time. That has always been my issue.

You don't really need to test your 1rm to get stronger. Esp if you aren't competing - it doesn't really matter. If you're gonna do it, do it on a day when you feel fucking strong, and everything you touch feels light. Then get pumped and smash your pr.
Don't train looking for these days though, just train with simple progression, over time you will surprise yourself with the progress you make - easily beating previous 1rm prs with 5 reps.

You don't really need to test your 1rm to get stronger. Esp if you aren't competing - it doesn't really matter. If you're gonna do it, do it on a day when you feel fucking strong, and everything you touch feels light. Then get pumped and smash your pr.
Don't train looking for these days though, just train with simple progression, over time you will surprise yourself with the progress you make - easily beating previous 1rm prs with 5 reps.

well, if you plan on doing any % based program, you will have to test your 1rm from time to time...
and they are great for cns adaptation
you could be hitting, lets say, 180 kg for 3x3 but can't do 200 kg for a single(which you should be able), just because your cns isn't used to that kind of weight...

I don't think many beginners are hitting 200k for a single in anything.. but yeh, if in that situation then the lifter could train using heavy singles at high volume, and allow himself to get comfortable with heavier weights, without necessarily going for a 1rm.

well, if you plan on doing any % based program, you will have to test your 1rm from time to time...
and they are great for cns adaptation
you could be hitting, lets say, 180 kg for 3x3 but can't do 200 kg for a single(which you should be able), just because your cns isn't used to that kind of weight...

Technically you don't need to test your 1RM for a % based program since you could still use an estimated max. Just make sure the reps are somewhat low so you don't get an massively inflated estimated max. Like you say though, there are other reasons why doing heavy singles is beneficial.

random question here, i am running a SS style programme 3 days a week (Mon/Weds/Fri) i am not going to be able to make it in to the gym on friday or over the weekend...do i just miss the day completely or shall i go in tomorrow & subsequently lift on two consecutive days, physically im feeling pretty good & i am not really that sore the next day but i have read a lot about giving your body chance to recover from lifting

Friday is usually a busy day i do squats-bench then deadlifts

random question here, i am running a SS style programme 3 days a week (Mon/Weds/Fri) i am not going to be able to make it in to the gym on friday or over the weekend...do i just miss the day completely or shall i go in tomorrow & subsequently lift on two consecutive days, physically im feeling pretty good & i am not really that sore the next day but i have read a lot about giving your body chance to recover from lifting

Friday is usually a busy day i do squats-bench then deadlifts

Assuming you are doing an SS-style progression (i.e. adding weight every session and squatting every session)) I wouldn't lift on consecutive days. In the long run missing one workout isn't the end of the world.

Yeah i am squatting every session but i am finding it difficult to make progress when i cant get in 3 times a week (which for one reason or another has not happened for the past month) thanks for the input though

Thoughts on this exercise:

seems fun, but is it useful?

Yeah i am squatting every session but i am finding it difficult to make progress when i cant get in 3 times a week (which for one reason or another has not happened for the past month) thanks for the input though

Do you make progress weekly or every session?

"Since the basic nature of correct ab function is isometric, the exercises in which the abs perform this function will provide exercises for the abs as well. This may seem childishly apparent, yet virtually every strength coach adds extra concentric/eccentric ab work to the program anyway. The thinking must be that just squatting, deadlifting, pressing, cleaning, snatching, chins, and barbell curls &#8211; all of which involve trunk stabilization as a critical performance component &#8211; do not provide sufficient ab work by themselves. I disagree."

-Mark Rippetoe

"Since the basic nature of correct ab function is isometric, the exercises in which the abs perform this function will provide exercises for the abs as well. This may seem childishly apparent, yet virtually every strength coach adds extra concentric/eccentric ab work to the program anyway. The thinking must be that just squatting, deadlifting, pressing, cleaning, snatching, chins, and barbell curls

Direct ab work can be very important for some individuals, depending upon their goals, and what weak links they may have. That said, the role of the abs is usually to stabilize the core, not produce lumbar flexion, so most variations of sit-ups, as they're usually performed, aren't the best choice of exercise.

In the video shown, the movement the movement isn't lumbar flexion, but hip flexion with the core acting isometrically. This also means the exercise will train the hip flexors to a large degree. This may be a bad thing, or a good thing, depending on whether the hip flexors are tight, for what reason. and whether the individual might benefit from stronger hip flexors (someone's who's sport involves sprinting would).

However, in the video, they're just having fun and goofing off. The exercise may or may not be part of their regular training. Also, there are many other ab exercises that could be done where it's easier to avoid lumbar flexion.

Thoughts on this exercise:

seems fun, but is it useful?

I saw some guys doing a variation of this in my gym 3-4 years ago- they were swinging their feet up to the bar instead of sitting up with it.

They were big and very buff guys, I think they were stuntmen working on a movie being shot in northern Thailand. One of them looked like a larger version of Rafael Nadal. Not that that means anything. I can imagine some being very buff, good at throwing themselves off buildings onto piles of cardboard boxes or running down steps while on fire, but not really knowing much about proper strength training.

Direct ab work can be very important for some individuals, depending upon their goals, and what weak links they may have. That said, the role of the abs is usually to stabilize the core, not produce lumbar flexion, so most variations of sit-ups, as they're usually performed, aren't the best choice of exercise.

In the video shown, the movement the movement isn't lumbar flexion, but hip flexion with the core acting isometrically. This also means the exercise will train the hip flexors to a large degree. This may be a bad thing, or a good thing, depending on whether the hip flexors are tight, for what reason. and whether the individual might benefit from stronger hip flexors (someone's who's sport involves sprinting would).

However, in the video, they're just having fun and goofing off. The exercise may or may not be part of their regular training. Also, there are many other ab exercises that could be done where it's easier to avoid lumbar flexion.

I was actually going to write that out, but I had to go eat something. Thanks for doing it for me.

I was actually going to write that out, but I had to go eat something. Thanks for doing it for me.

Oh so what you meant to say is that it's a great hip flexor exercise...I see...

Also the guys in the diesel crew video you posted display a fair amount of lumbar flexion. You should hear the nice things Stu McGill has to say about the diesel crew and other advanced lifters who take good concepts and manage to fuck them up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back