• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Best angle - definitive proof.

You’re ignoring that herb actually did what he should. Check the arm. And Robbie did what he needed to. He showed he wan’t conscious. The only reason herb had to stop the fight was if he was unconscious when he checked and he wasn’t. Herb choked.
No can u rephrase that for me I’m slightly uncertain what you meant to say.

Sigh

So you think I’m just ignoring the view that we ALL saw of Lawler’s arm appearing to go limp?

Just watch the video dude:
Hey let me ask you this. Can we at least agree this was a very tough call to make and esp considering herb is one of the best. Can’t fault him too much for it. Right or wrong. In the moment, herb doesn’t have replay to rely on like we do.

OP: "definitive proof"
goes on to prove nothing...
tenor.gif

They need to do 3 arm raises like in old school pro wrestling. Then on the 3rd one they can hulk up

Robbie gave a weakass thumbs up. Unfortunately in that position you're required to keep your arm elevated. I understand this makes it more difficult to ride out the choke, but this is MMA not a street fight. In MMA you get out of the choke at the end of a round -- in a street fight, Askren could have held that choke for 20 minutes until Lawler was dead.

When you're in a choke like that, and the ref is lifting up your hand, keep your fucking hand elevated off the ground, under power.

Robbie gave a weakass thumbs up. Unfortunately in that position you're required to keep your arm elevated. I understand this makes it more difficult to ride out the choke, but this is MMA not a street fight. In MMA you get out of the choke at the end of a round -- in a street fight, Askren could have held that choke for 20 minutes until Lawler was dead.

When you're in a choke like that, and the ref is lifting up your hand, keep your fucking hand elevated off the ground, under power.
he did what he had to. he needs to show the ref he's not a limp fish. he did that. it's 100% obvious for anyone to see. either you're out or your not, and he with 100% certainty demonstrated he was not out. herb shit the bed.

and lol. try holding that for 20 minutes, and how would lawler have died since he wasn't being choked?

Hey let me ask you this. Can we at least agree this was a very tough call to make and esp considering herb is one of the best. Can’t fault him too much for it. Right or wrong. In the moment, herb doesn’t have replay to rely on like we do.
it's an easy call - either the fighter is unconscious or not. and herb lifted his arm and robbie gave a 100% clear response that no, he wasn't unconscious. i can't believe this is debatable.

I can totally understand folk thinking he was "out" on first viewing but once you have all the information and angles it does seem very clear cut.

This. I said he was out live so I understand the mistake but it is just that; a mistake.

it's an easy call - either the fighter is unconscious or not. and herb lifted his arm and robbie gave a 100% clear response that no, he wasn't unconscious. i can't believe this is debatable.
Yeah so clear that almost no one watching it live saw it. Haha. Freaking troll.

"Definitive proof" that leaves out the shot where Robbie's arm goes limp due to being unconscious, which is what ultimately caused Herb to reach for his arm.

<36>

You’re right, he doesn’t have replay like we do but he does have his protocols.

Arm appears to go limp - that by itself is not enough to stop the fight. The refs job in that moment is to establish whether or not the fighter is conscious. Herb does that by checking Robbie’s arm to which Robbie showed the appropriate response.

If Herb wasn’t going to take the arm check into consideration then what he do it for?

Might as well of just stopped the fight at the sight of the arm appearing to go limp - sarcasm

I can’t just chalk it down to “Herb made a mistake” ... Ref mistakes are robbing us of incredible fights and robbing the fighters of $$$ and legacy.

It’s happening way too often and I’m sick of it. Best fight on the card and it was over before it began.

***Not to mention, do you think Robbie can afford or deserves a setback like this?

Last edited:
Didn't they have use of instant replay at this event? Could it not have been used in this instance?

What do you mean? Herb grabbed his arm and Robbie kept it up and gave him the thumbs up. How is that not herbs fault. There's no in the moment bullshit. It's black or white. He failed to properly do his job and it costed someone a shit ton of money in the process. Herb was wrong here .it sucks but we're humans and make mistakes .this was just a super bad mistake on his part

"Definitive proof" that leaves out the shot where Robbie's arm goes limp due to being unconscious, which is what ultimately caused Herb to reach for his arm.

<36>
Your assuming that's why Robbie's arm dropped. As herb assumed that too. So he did what he was suppose in the moment and check to see if he was awake .Robbie responded to the check and proceeded to give him the thumbs up. That clearly with definitive proof shows he was awake. Your assumption of why is arm dropped is just that. An assumption. You don't actually know if that's why it dropped like it did. Your assuming why. What we actually know as facts, is Robbie was checked and passed the check. That's the facts. Worse stoppage in the UFC history

Yeah, it’s not like it’s the refs job to watch for something as simple as the arm you JUST FUCKIN RAISED not flopping to the ground lifeless.

Your angle.love and the refs are 2 different things. The debate shouldn't be what you saw from your angle. The debate is the ref responds by doing an arm check on the fighter in the proper position and the fighter responding to the check in the proper way. It was a super botched call. No way around it

Did it "drop" or did he put it down?
That wasn't a comfortable position to keep his arm, and it certainly wasn't going to help him unless he had planned on doing some hair pulling.

It looks like dead weight to me. It's possible he let his arm fall like dead weight but that's generally a bad idea to do that sort of think on purpose while someone is attemption a submission.

When Lawler's hand was wrapped around Askren's head (I believe he wanted to pick him up for another slam) it made the choke worse on him and when his arm fell limp from his Askren's head I think Lawler was out for a moment. After his hand fell down the blood choke loosened and Lawler started to regain some bloodflow to his brain. Also, when Herb pulled on Lawler's hand he probably gave very little tug to Herb. After that Herb was looking at Robbie's face and must have believed he was out.

Back